Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around at pressure washers? lately. The local Deere dealer sells Stihl and of course Deere models. The generacs don't look bad but I know if I go with stihl the dealer can service it if something ever happened. Not looking for hot water right now. If I was I'd get an Aaladin. Does anyone have experience with the Deere, Stihl or Generac models? The models I was looking at were in about the $600-$700 range if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Personally I have one for Northern Tool. It is an older model but similar to this one that is powered by a Honda engine.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200595284_200595284

Mine is also a cold water model but when I was redoing the plumbing in the basement, I set up the hose bib so there are ball valves to control what kind of water I send to the hose bib. Now I can send hot water to it if I need it as well as soft or hard water.

A couple points on pressure washers. Keep in mind that John Deere doesn't make them. They make tractors. There are a bunch of products they sell at dealers that are green with the JD logo that are made by other companies for them. For instance I was once looking at the pretty JD gun safe at my dealer and immediately identified it as the same Liberty Gun Safe that I have in my basement with a different paint job. So if you can figure out who actually makes it, I would look at reviews of that product as they are probably easier to find and maybe even price compare. One may be $100 cheaper than the other and the only difference is the paint. The other area where this matters is with the tips. It seems to me that we had this discussion a while back on this very topic. Someone had the JD pressure washer and was looking for tips but the dealer didn't have them. Something like that. I think we figured out who actually made it for them. I don't remember exactly but something like that.

Also be sure to protect the unit. I didn't see where you live but many people will not think about this and store it in the shed. Here in MN it gets cold in the winter and a quick way to destroy a pressure washer is to not winterize it and let it freeze. I go to the hardware store and they have these little pressurized cans that are filled with an antifreeze/lubricant. It not only gets all the water out but helps keep things lubed up. It is a couple bucks but means I don't have to worry about it freezing up. I do keep it in my heated shop all winter or the heated garage attached to the house but like I said, safe insurance and it helps it when it is just sitting. When it comes to servicing them. There isn't a lot that can be done with the pumps on most units which is why I use the winterizing kits. Other than that it is a small engine driving that pump. There isn't much to them. Personally I can work on a small engine or I would probably go to a more generic small engine shop for work and skip the higher cost JD dealer shop rates if it was out of warranty. Or my Brother-in-law had an issue with the engine on his washer a year or two ago. We went to Harbor Freight and with one of their coupons replaced the entire engine for a little over $100. It was easier to just repower it than mess with his old engine. In that case he screwed up and cross threaded the sparkplug. We could have gone the heli-coil route but he complained about how hard that engine was to start all the time anyhow.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,572 Posts
Mine is also a cold water model but when I was redoing the plumbing in the basement, I set up the hose bib so there are ball valves to control what kind of water I send to the hose bib. Now I can send hot water to it if I need it as well as soft or hard water.
I'm assuming the gas powered washers do not use the water to cool the pump? I have an electric powered unit and it warns to not use hot water.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I contemplated this same thing. Prices for the Stihl ones where just way more than i wanted to spend. I ended up getting the Simpson 3200, with Honda Motor, from Tractor Supply. It was around $340 ish. Stihl one was easily $200 more. Been using it for a year now with no issues.
I had an old Briggs one, bought at Home Depot, for close to 20 years but had to rebuild the pump twice. And it got all leaky towards the end. 20 yrs is a long life if you ask me. So im saying you can’t go wrong with a cheaper one. Unless i guess if your using it professinally every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,324 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I'm assuming the gas powered washers do not use the water to cool the pump? I have an electric powered unit and it warns to not use hot water.
Mine (from TSC) warns NOT to let the engine run and not be washing for over a few minutes, that the water through the pump cools it.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
It depends on the model and I would follow the directions.

The part I left off my brief summary is I have a whole house tankless water heater. I will go over to the control panel and dial it back to 90f or so. Mine can take temps up to 100f. If I couldn't do this, I could probably mix in some cold to keep from getting too hot. While not as good as the hot pressure washers. 90f is better than 45f which is about what my cold water is from the well.

That and a bit of simple green does a great job of cleaning stuff.

I also don't leave it running if using hot water.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I bought the middle sized Still pressure washer last spring. It has a Kohler engine that looks as well made as any other. I hear so many people brag on Honda but I got one on a push mower and I just don't get the big deal?

This PW states in the manual to not run more than a few minutes without spraying to avoid excess pump heat. I have not detected abnormal pump temps from doing this.

Dealer told me Still will warranty the engine and also provide any part of the engine through still distributors.

My impression is that it is well made but does not have quite as much gpm and pressure as other units sold for the same price. That does not bother me, I'm just spraying mud off the dang tractor and such. I don't think I will notice much difference.

The one previously mentioned from Tractor Supply was on sale last year and was a heck of a deal. But I'm mentally ill and like my Stihl stuff...

It starts well, has a giant fuel tank and has worked perfectly so far. The reversed grip trigger on the wand handle is a very sweet touch.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've had my 2hp JD 120vac pressure washer for 17 years now, use it all the time. Starts easy in any weather:laugh:
Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 8.55.10 PM.png

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cheaper can work

I have a Ryobi with a Honda motor on it that I bought at HD for $150. It works fine, starts every time, can use soap (but no hot water). I could go through two or three of them before using up enough money to buy a "better" one.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would be storing it in our basement. We had one freeze up in our shop awhile back. I'll look and see what our local stores have and compare it to the Stihl. I was just wary of cheaper units because I don't like being in the middle of something and having things break. But like anything if you keep it well maintained I imagine it will be fine. I just need enough pressure to take dry mud and stuff off the trucks and farm equipment. It costs me a fortune to go to the car wash because I'm particular about getting all the crud out of the nooks and crannies! :)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I would be storing it in our basement. We had one freeze up in our shop awhile back. I'll look and see what our local stores have and compare it to the Stihl. I was just wary of cheaper units because I don't like being in the middle of something and having things break. But like anything if you keep it well maintained I imagine it will be fine. I just need enough pressure to take dry mud and stuff off the trucks and farm equipment. It costs me a fortune to go to the car wash because I'm particular about getting all the crud out of the nooks and crannies! :)
I agree. If there is an area on a pressure washer to focus on, it would be the pump. Mine runs a Honda engine but the engine side is easy to at worst case repower. It is the pump that makes the washer. You can dig around looking at different brands. Mine is a CAT pump. I am not saying it is the best but it is probably in the top 5.

Even if storing it in the basement it is a good idea to treat the pump at the end of the season. The risk of freezing may be low but it also isn't going to be used for a few months and it is better on the seals.

I pick it up at the local hardware store and not saying it is this brand but something like this is what you want to use every fall.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-6151-Anti-Freeze-10-7-Ounce/dp/B007TFF2PM

·
Registered
200 Posts
The pumps on just about any type of homeowner unit will fail LONG before the engine will. I had a honda unit for about 12 years pump died, unit was 400$ years ago, pump was a sealed unit $250 to replace. Bought a new Briggs unit a few years ago for $400 if it lasts 10 years I will be good with it. The pumps are almost all sealed units now and need to be replaced as a whole, as much as I use it I ahve been happy with both of the units I have had.

Whichever you pick research the pump on it and if it can be serviced or it is sealed, and look at replacement cost for the pump.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Upon further consideration I've settled on a 2800 psi Black Maxx washer with a Honda engine. Also has an aluminum pump casing and soap injection. My boss has used one and still has it. He says they work great. A whole $259 at Sam's club.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I agree that the pump type is much more important than the engine.
https://pressurewashr.com/pressure-washer-pumps/

FYI: I found out last year that Stihl pressure washers are manufactured by Mi-T-M.

Just before I made my final purchase decision, my brother said to try tough love with my 20 year old Craftsman unit (wobble plate pump). Since it didn't pump anyway, he said to hit the pump housing with a hammer hoping to knock loose anything that might be stuck. After a couple of whacks, it came to life and has since washed over 2,000 square feet. I bought a new Stihl cordless hedge trimmer with the savings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts