Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
My father maintained the farm/feedlot my grandpa owned. On a feedlot manure gets in everything all year round. They purchased one of those really expensive hot water pressure washers primarily because their was a dealer in town, they liked to buy local, they claimed to be the greatest things ever, and manure doesn't care if it's winter. I never used it myself, but my dad hated it, it was constantly broken even though it got regularly serviced by the local company. The bills for service where expensive because parts constantly had to be replaced. My grandpa swears up and down that high pressure AND heat are an impossible combination to maintain. So they finally gave up on it and purchased a regular pressure washer.... I have it in the barn and it still works just fine and I'm the only one that maintains it. I also have my own pressure washer (an old Ridgid from Home Depot I don't think they make them anymore) that has a slight leak in the manifold most likely because I didn't get all the water out before winter. It still works even with the leak and has done everything I've needed it to do. I think it's a CAT pump with a subaru engine if that sounds right. I still like it. I never could quite get the combination of pressure and fan spray right and when I tried to clean a deck with it, it came out looking terrible. The fan spray was noticeable everywhere. I tried to keep the distance even but it created a "tail" mark on one side of the fan and the other side didn't remove anything. I checked and cleaned the tip but no luck.

Anyway all that is to say save up and buy the LEAST complicated one with the best engine and pump. If it's the least complicated it will be easier to service yourself. Don't get into the the fancy hot water or other wiz bang features. Just get one that's good at doing it's job. Double check before you buy and confirm you can get parts for it. Locally is great, but if you have to order parts online make sure their is actually somebody who carries them. And spend as much time as you can possible stand learning to maintain it, and the rest of your time actually doing the maintenance. I always pay for it when I don't give equipment the proper time it needs.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I have used this JD unit with a Honda engine for 8 years , never treated the gas and its always started and run fine. Using it for the deck right now. $450 or so.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well our last power outage told us we need a generator so the pressure washer probably is on hold, but when we called out the well guy he told us before doing a new yield test we should check the records the town has on files. 14gpm so at least I do not have to worry about flow when the time comes.

·
Registered
634 Posts
That was then, what is it now? Has it been a long time since the flow test?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It has been quite a while but his experience in this area said they don't usually change that much. Even if it went down 5gpm I would still be in great shape.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It has been quite a while but his experience in this area said they don't usually change that much. Even if it went down 5gpm I would still be in great shape.
You can check it yourself, just get a 5 gallon bucket and time how long it takes to fill it. At 14 GPM it should take 21.4 seconds to fill. As long as it does it faster than 60 seconds though, you would be good up to at least a 4 GPM machine, more depending on how much faster the bucket filled.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I bought this John deere 120V with diesel heater last year.
Been real happy with it so far. Only thing I wish is that the hose had more insulation, this mother flat out puts out the hot water and that hose will burn you a bit if wearing shorts while using it.
Model #
AC-1500EH

21 - 27 of 27 Posts