Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share this problem and solution in case anyone out there is in the same boat. We have a 15 inch pipe that is 60 ft long underneath a driveway on our property. The fields behind us are tiled so this pipe mainly handles surface runoff and it is sufficiently sized for the area it services. We have rodent guards (looks like a pitch fork) on each end to prevent animals from nesting in the pipe. These guards were effective at keeping animals out, but would quickly clog with leaves and sticks and create a dam on the inlet side of the pipe. See attached image. These backups caused the water to reach depths of over 4ft. We decided to remove these guards but we wanted to ensure larger items didn't reach the pipe and cause even more headaches. We created debris catchers using some old stockade panel we had around the farm. This solution is highlighted in the below video and has worked really well thus far! Regardless of how your pipe is clogging, a solution like this may fix it! Tomato cages are a bonus on the house! :laugh:

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,519 Posts
Nice fix! Around here, we call them trash racks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to share this problem and solution in case anyone out there is in the same boat. We have a 15 inch pipe that is 60 ft long underneath a driveway on our property. The fields behind us are tiled so this pipe mainly handles surface runoff and it is sufficiently sized for the area it services. We have rodent guards (looks like a pitch fork) on each end to prevent animals from nesting in the pipe. These guards were effective at keeping animals out, but would quickly clog with leaves and sticks and create a dam on the inlet side of the pipe. See attached image. These backups caused the water to reach depths of over 4ft. We decided to remove these guards but we wanted to ensure larger items didn't reach the pipe and cause even more headaches. We created debris catchers using some old stockade panel we had around the farm. This solution is highlighted in the below video and has worked really well thus far! Regardless of how your pipe is clogging, a solution like this may fix it! Tomato cages are a bonus on the house! :laugh:
A quick update to show proof on concept! It works and it works well! See below. This was after over 2 inches of rain in 24 hours.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Great Idea! Lots of people don't understand how much debris comes with runoff.
I had a similar problem with the county's storm grate at the edge of my property. In a heavy rain, grass, leaves, etc. washed over top and completely sealed it off. I raised it 3-1/2" using painted, pressure treated 2x4 "legs" -- it used to be flush with the concrete surface. I haven't had a clog since.

The cast iron grate weighs over 200 pounds. I didn't want to risk losing it into the six-foot-deep catch basin, so I lifted it with a home made hoist while installing the legs. Final images are attached. I'm sorry I didn't take "in progress" photos. I didn't realize at the time that I would be quite so influenced by GTT...

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yet another update on this fix. This time it was really tested. The fix worked, but the pipe was just too small this time around. However, leading up to this storm the ground was completely saturated and we had rains like we haven't seen since we have owned the property.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts