Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of us who have bought used equipment, or even vehicles, have run into some things done by a previous owner that can just leave you scratching your head and wondering why. I had one yesterday on my 5320 that was almost comical.

I've owned the tractor for a bit over a year now, and it came from an operation down in Mississippi. When I bought it, the dealer and I had a discussion about the tires being filled. I was concerned they may have calcium chloride in them, but he assured me it was 'probably' methanol. That's what everybody uses these days. Now, I'm not blaming the dealer at all, he had no way of knowing what was in the tires and no reason to check. Heck, I didn't either. I found out yesterday though, my tires are not filled with methanol.

They are filled with water. Or, more accurately right now, solid chunks of ice. :thumbsdown::laugh: I jumped on the tractor yesterday and as I eased out with it, the tires felt a little rough. No big deal, it's cold. They'll smooth out when they get rolling and warm up a little. I bumped up to C range, and boy was that unexpected! The little 'thump, thump, thump' I was feeling in A range pulling out of the shed was gone, replaced by a vicious, jarring slam; first to the left, then back to the right, that put the seat suspension into overdrive until I could hit the clutch and shift back down.

I couldn't help but laugh. I get why they probably did it, it doesn't get that cold down in MS. It usually doesn't get and stay this cold in TN, but it has this year. I was planning to put new tires on in the spring, so I'll deal with this then.

What interesting previous owner jobs have you found on stuff?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
I will say, OH CRAP!
Ya never know.

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
The rears on my JD 790 have liquid in them, I'm assuming Calcium Chloride, but they will freeze in very cold weather. Fortunately, I don't use it much when it's really cold! ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
14,738 Posts
I bet that was a bumpy ride !

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well, when I bought my 1954 JD 40 Utility back in 2001 it wasn't running. The guy selling it said his son took a look at it a few years ago and they couldn't get it to run, so there it sat until I bought it. He neglected to mention that his son had taken the spark plugs out in 1998 and never put them back in. I was left with the pleasurable job of using a chunk of 4x4 and large sledgehammer to remove the pistons.

I knew it was stuck when I bought it, and planned for the worst (and paid accordingly), so no big deal. But if only the son had put the plugs back it would have saved me a lot of grief getting the old pistons out.

It was a beautiful running tractor once it was all rebuilt. I sold it to help pay for the 2520.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Both rear tires on one of the 2 cylinders were completely filled with water.

Don't recall right off what was in the rears on an International of mine. Was scraping snow one winter and discovered a leak later. When I took the tire and rim off to get a tire shop to fix it, I knew it sure was extra heavy. Whatever was in the tires was bright red. Think maybe it was sealant of some kind.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Both rear tires on one of the 2 cylinders were completely filled with water.

Whatever was in the tires was bright red. Think maybe it was sealant of some kind.
The previous owner wasn't a Count of some sort, was he? Was he only willing to meet with you at night?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The previous owner wasn't a Count of some sort, was he? Was he only willing to meet with you at night?
Oh crap! Hadn't even considered that it could've been blood! I better hide now in case he comes back. :hide:

No wonder he got rid of all the JD's on that ranch and replaced them with all red tractors.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Rimgaurd is reddish, but I wouldn't call it bright red. It is beet juice though. Maybe it was something along those lines.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Rimgaurd is reddish, but I wouldn't call it bright red. It is beet juice though. Maybe it was something along those lines.
It looks like used motor oil.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ya, that works too. I know it smells like rotten licorice. (Sp?)

Jim

·
Registered
490 Posts
I dont think I have had anything yet that didn't have some sort of mark from it's previous owner. As far as my Deere goes, I have no idea what they did to scratch up the boom so bad. Nor do I understand why they cut the seat belt when all they had to do was fiddle with the seat belt retractor for a minute so the twisted part of the belt would flatten out again. All in all pretty minor stuff, now I could go on and on about garden tractors/lawn mowers and the 3 rigs I have had but my Deere came out pretty good. :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,738 Posts
I dont think I have had anything yet that didn't have some sort of mark from it's previous owner. As far as my Deere goes, I have no idea what they did to scratch up the boom so bad. Nor do I understand why they cut the seat belt when all they had to do was fiddle with the seat belt retractor for a minute so the twisted part of the belt would flatten out again. All in all pretty minor stuff, now I could go on and on about garden tractors/lawn mowers and the 3 rigs I have had but my Deere came out pretty good. :thumbup1gif:
They cut the belt , because they didn't want to wear the seat belt. If belt needed plugged in to use machine it could be plugged in but they didn't have to have it around them. Just my guess ,plus the part you said about just fiddle with the seat belt retractor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts