Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently looked into having top soil delivered by dump truck in my SC location. The price for unscreened topsoil here is $600 for a tandem axle truck load. I recently spread 10 truck loads (it took 45 man-hours for the 1025R with 49 inch bucket). The unscreened topsoil required a fair amount of after spreading work to pick up all the stones and roots it contained.

Now I am looking to buy some more to level out some more areas.

Lowes has topsoil here for $1.59 per 1 cubic foot bag. That seemed expensive until I did the math.

27 cubic feet in a cubic yard. 27 x $1.59= $42.93 per cubic yard for bagged topsoil.

Tandem axle truck load is 10 to 14 cubic yards.

Assuming the truck actually contains 14 yards, that is 378 cubic feet per truck load, at a cost of $600.

378 cubic feet x bag price of $1.59 per cubic foor = $601.02.

So, it seems the break even price point for topsoil per bag versus by the dump truck load is right around the Lowes price of $1.59 per bag.

Plus the bagged soil is screened and clean and much easier to rake and level out. I'd rather spend time opening bags than spend hours picking up the debris in the truck-delivered soil.

Though I'd share this info since I was pleasantly surprised by it. Someone check my math.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I recently looked into having top soil delivered by dump truck in my SC location. The price for unscreened topsoil here is $600 for a tandem axle truck load. I recently spread 10 truck loads (it took 45 man-hours for the 1025R with 49 inch bucket). The unscreened topsoil required a fair amount of after spreading work to pick up all the stones and roots it contained.

Lowes has topsoil here for $1.59 per 1 cubic foot bag. That seemed expensive until I did the math.

27 cubic feet in a cubic yard. 27 x $1.59= $42.93 per cubic yard for bagged topsoil.

Assuming the truck actually contains 14 yards, that is 378 cubic feet per truck load, at a cost of $600.

So, it seems the break even price point for topsoil per bag versus by the dump truck load is right around the Lowes price of $1.59 per bag.

Plus the bagged soil is screened and clean and much easier to rake and level out. I'd rather spend time opening bags than spend hours picking up the debris in the truck-delivered soil.

Though I'd share this info since I was pleasantly surprised by it. Someone check my math.
I'm in Michigan, so not sure how much help. However, unscreened topsoil in bulk around here goes for $20-25 a yard. Delivery is $40. You're paying nearly double that. Are they the only game in town?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Michigan, so not sure how much help. However, unscreened topsoil in bulk around here goes for $20-25 a yard. Delivery is $40. You're paying nearly double that. Are they the only game in town?
Top soil around here is priced like black gold. If you can actually find someone with decent top soil to sell. There are a lot of players, and fill dirt, gravel, and sand are plentiful and reasonable. Top soil is another story. And delivery around here is also around double what you're paying.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In Connecticut I pay $42 a yard when I pick-up screened topsoil about a mile from my house. But they are generous as the amount fills my 10 cuft cart 3 1/2 times. I am surprised the bag price is the same, I'll have to check the price here.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I collect my leaves and sometimes grass clippings. Then use the FEL to rotate it and make compost. Every now and then I go to the black dirt company with my dump trailer and get a few yards.

They charge $20/yard or 14 yards delivered for $300.

They are less than a mile from my house and I help them with the computer work so they have never charged me for dirt/mulch. I just swing by and they will either dump a load in a day or two or I run down with the trailer.

The one thing you left out of your calculation on the bags from Lowes. Chiropractor visit from lugging around all those bags of dirt. It is going to be more labor intensive dealing with them. At a minimum more time to cut open and dispose of the bags.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Here in the western Sand Hills of NC they sell top soil by the ton (try not to buy it after it rains) and it's around $250 for a 20 ton load. Now this top soil is not like any other top soil I have ever seen. They get from tobacco fields so it is really a sandy loam type of dirt. It is screened for rocks but you do get some tillage etc. While I was very doubtful of the quality of it when I mixed 60 tons of it with about 10 tons of chicken poop it has made for some really green grass for the side yard I put in last fall.

Your price for Top Soil in Savannah seems high but I know all about availability how that affects price. It seems that good soil in the Southeast US is somewhat hard to come by. I know around here there are really only four crops farmers can grow, cotton, tobacco, soybeans and sorghum. You don't see any other types of crops being grown. I am not sure why since I am not a farmer but my guess is soil quality and the fact it gets so hot here in the summer.

·
Premium Member
10,907 Posts
Every time I buy bags of top soil from Lowe's all I seem to get are bags of what looks like coffee grounds instead of actual dirt. Despite being advertised as screened it still has a lot of debris in it. The grass I planted didn't seem to like it either.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
Wow. I've been paying $15 cu. yard for topsoil and get free delivery if I buy 6 yards or more at a time. I produce 2-3 yards of compost every year on my own and mix that in to add more organic material.

·
Registered
697 Posts
For those of you getting a really good price on top soil, are you guys also getting a good price on quarry (crusher) 'A' gravel? I seem to find it's usually one or the other that's priced well, not both.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
For those of you getting a really good price on top soil, are you guys also getting a good price on quarry (crusher) 'A' gravel? I seem to find it's usually one or the other that's priced well, not both.

That's ~$30/yard for me.

Most of this kind of stuff is pretty cheap around here unless you want to get something really specific. If I want 3/4" grey washed gravel I can get that for $25/yard. If I want the same thing in brown/yellow/blue washed gravel it's $50/yard.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
We used the bagged Lowes products when planting fruit trees last year,,,

dig a hole with the PHD,, back fill with bagged top soil and cow manure,,so far, the trees look great!! :good2:

I feel that the bagged "top soil" is:
1) any cheap dirt
2) composted tub ground brush
mix 1) and 2), (mostly 2)) then bag it.

I made an entire garden of the product,, mine is identical,,,

Our county tub ground all the brush from a bad storm, then gave it away a year later,,
I got my fair share,,, :yahoo:

·
Registered
697 Posts
I keep forgetting to mention, I'm talking canadian dollars, so about 70 cents USD on the dollar.

I frequently forget our money isn't close to par anymore. :laugh::greentractorride:

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
That's ~$30/yard for me.

Most of this kind of stuff is pretty cheap around here unless you want to get something really specific. If I want 3/4" grey washed gravel I can get that for $25/yard. If I want the same thing in brown/yellow/blue washed gravel it's $50/yard.
I agree with JimR, at least up here in the NE limestone/gravel quarries are plentiful, it pays to call around for price but there is never any shortage of either. Top soil can get pricey here in NY because when a gravel pit closes they have to reclaim it with top soil so they always hold a certain amount for that when the time comes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here in North Texas bagged Top soil is $2.69 a bag at the local nursery and its about a 20 minute drive to Lowes or Home Depot and its anywhere between $1.99-$2.19 a bag there. I can go to the local soil and rock place and get a good garden mix of Top soil, compost and sand, I believe thats right buy dont quote me on it for $200 for a dump trailer full which is right about 6.75 cubic yards on my trailer. Which is right around $30 a yard and it is some really great soil. :thumbup1gif:

-Jordan-

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have used the bagged top soil from Home Depot and was not impressed. Seemed like alot of small wood stuff in it and just did not "feel" like good dirt.

But, go buy a couple of bags, spread it out and wash with the hose and see what it is made of.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts

Boy that's expensive soil I Just Paid $317.71 for 14 yards of Pulverized & screened Black dirt It's only Gone Up $97.00 since 2005:bigthumb:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have used the bagged top soil from Home Depot and was not impressed. Seemed like alot of small wood stuff in it and just did not "feel" like good dirt.

But, go buy a couple of bags, spread it out and wash with the hose and see what it is made of.

Kevin
My experience has been the same. I have a hard time calling it dirt. I've bought several types from them (Lowes), to include the Miracle grow garden soil.

I've had much better success with actual top soil brought in via dump truck. Actual dirt dug up, loaded, & delivered. My vegetable garden prefers real dirt.

A couple years ago, I helped a buddy dig a pond. I was able to have the dirt from it. Just had to get it, & bring it to my house. Man, talk about the richest, dirt I've seen, & by far the best top soil on my property. I only use it in my garden, or anywhere my lawn needs help. My garden went absolutely bonkers last year. I tilled in some turkey manure with it, & wowzers. My tomato plants were 7' tall :hi:

Fortunately, I have a couple loads of it piled up for future use when needed. I went and added a few more inches of it this year before planting my garden last week.

The 647 turns it into fluffy goodness :)

Prior to having access to this premium dirt, I bought approx. 100 bags of the Lowes "top soil", & Miracle grown garden soil. My garden didn't do much.

Where I live, top soil delivered cost approx. $400 or so, for a full size dump truck. 20 ton load

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That’s pretty much the going rate here if you buy “retail” form a landscape supplier, etc. I usually try to buy from someone I know on the contracting side-Excavating companies and the like. I got 48 yds of really nice black dirt last year-4 truckloads worth, for just a couple dollars over $500, a hair over $10/cyd. It wasn’t screened but was very clean, just a few rocks to pick out once spread out and it’s growing a fabulous looking lawn!

·
Registered
294 Posts
My experience has been the same. I have a hard time calling it dirt. I've bought several types from them (Lowes), to include the Miracle grow garden soil.

I've had much better success with actual top soil brought in via dump truck. Actual dirt dug up, loaded, & delivered. My vegetable garden prefers real dirt.

A couple years ago, I helped a buddy dig a pond. I was able to have the dirt from it. Just had to get it, & bring it to my house. Man, talk about the richest, dirt I've seen, & by far the best top soil on my property. I only use it in my garden, or anywhere my lawn needs help. My garden went absolutely bonkers last year. I tilled in some turkey manure with it, & wowzers. My tomato plants were 7' tall :hi:

Fortunately, I have a couple loads of it piled up for future use when needed. I went and added a few more inches of it this year before planting my garden last week.

The 647 turns it into fluffy goodness :)

Prior to having access to this premium dirt, I bought approx. 100 bags of the Lowes "top soil", & Miracle grown garden soil. My garden didn't do much.

Where I live, top soil delivered cost approx. $400 or so, for a full size dump truck. 20 ton load
Better lookout!! Theres a family of bears in the background!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts