Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HP C5500 All-in-One printer that seems to have bit the big one. It worked fine when it worked, but the ink was/is crazy expensive. I read that the lazer printer is much cheaper to operate. I would appreciate any suggestions, as my knowledge in this area is pretty scant.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I had my SIL computer guru search for me,,, he found this one for me,,

It is GREAT,, I love the wireless features,, after several reams of paper we are still on the "starter" cartridge,,,

My wife wanted the copying capability.

Robot Check

A replacement cartridge is also SUPER cheap,,, $11

Robot Check

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Definitely get a laser printer. HP is still the best printer. You will spend more money on a cartridge, but it lasts lots longer and it does not dry up like a ink jet cartridge. My main printer is a HP black/white laser printer that I have had for 10-15 years and it still works just fine. Cost per page is just slightly over a penny. Doubtful that any of the newer printers will be that economical. Think hard about whether you really need a color printer. Most people really do not need a color printer. I have a separate color printer, but have only turned it on maybe 3 times in the last 2 years. Black/white (mono) printers are much cheaper than a color laser printer and are much cheaper to operate.

Dave

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts
I gave up on ink jet 15 years ago and now only use a laser-we don't need color. I've had a 5n1 Brother network printer/scanner/copier/fax for the last 6 years so that's still kicking strong.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Agreed

I had my SIL computer guru search for me,,, he found this one for me,,

It is GREAT,, I love the wireless features,, after several reams of paper we are still on the "starter" cartridge,,,

My wife wanted the copying capability.

Robot Check

A replacement cartridge is also SUPER cheap,,, $11

Robot Check
I have a very similar Brother scanner/copier/printer and after a couple of years I would still recommend them. Toner lasts a good long time and is only a little more expensive than an ink jet cartridge. Print quality is great and startup time is much better than an HP that I use. Mine is B & W but they make color as well although that's an entirely different price point. I doubt I'll ever go back to an ink jet printer for B & W again.

Treefarmer

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,135 Posts
Good thread.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you have a Costco nearby they can refill your cartridges in a hour while you shop.
MUCH cheaper. They re chip them so your printer will recognize them.
Works for me

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
When looking at laser printers keep this in mind. Many times the parts that wear out are built into the toner cartridges. Not all of them but quite a few of them. That is typically what HP always did. Then as more and more people complained about the $200-250 refill kits, they eventually started to split off the toner from these other parts. For home use it isn't as big of a deal. You will likely never print enough to wear one out. At least not in my home.

My Sister and Brother-in-Law are both lawyers and share an office and a secretary with one additional lawyer. They have a secretary/paralegal who likes having a printer at her desk for printing something on letterhead or envelopes and labels rather than trying to run that type of stuff through their big office printer/scanner/fax. I replaced her computer a couple weeks ago and ended up getting her a Dell laser. Probably not the best one out there but for her needs it should work well. At a little under $200 it is basically disposable. The refill toner cartridges in my HP Laserjet 5M cost more than that the last time I bought one. This got me thinking when it dies again or needs a refill, I probably won't fix it. That Dell was cheaper, has all the same options. Network connectivity (Wired built in with optional wireless), duplexer for two sided printing and is 3 times faster at printing (10 PPM vs 35 ppm).

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I've been using a Brother all-in-one laser printer for about 7 years now. I first bought a Brother for my daughter when she went off to school. Then I bought mine, then I bought my younger daughter the same printer as my older daughter when she went off to school. They all use the same toner cartridge. Overall I've been pretty happy with it.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in, just watch the Sunday ads for OfficeDepot and Staples. They generally run some pretty deep sales on printers every few weeks. Of course, the Brother linked above looks like a sweet deal.

For color, I have a Xerox solid ink printer. It basically uses a big crayon that it melts and puts on the paper. I first bought one back in '99 to use for printing small runs of product literature for my business. It's pretty cool but not something the average homeowner wants/needs. Plus, the consumables are pretty cool.

I don't think there's a "best printer" any more. HP used to hold that position and they dictated the printer standards (you used to have to look for "HP Compatibility") but that's no longer the case.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I've been using a Brother all-in-one laser printer for about 7 years now. I first bought a Brother for my daughter when she went off to school. Then I bought mine, then I bought my younger daughter the same printer as my older daughter when she went off to school. They all use the same toner cartridge. Overall I've been pretty happy with it.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in, just watch the Sunday ads for OfficeDepot and Staples. They generally run some pretty deep sales on printers every few weeks. Of course, the Brother linked above looks like a sweet deal.

For color, I have a Xerox solid ink printer. It basically uses a big crayon that it melts and puts on the paper. I first bought one back in '99 to use for printing small runs of product literature for my business. It's pretty cool but not something the average homeowner wants/needs. Plus, the consumables are pretty cool.

I don't think there's a "best printer" any more. HP used to hold that position and they dictated the printer standards (you used to have to look for "HP Compatibility") but that's no longer the case.
I also have a Xerox solid ink color printer. It is the 8550 model and I have had it over 10 years. As you said, a bit of overkill. I rarely use it, in fact I have only turned it on 3 times in the last 2 years. My main printer is a HP 2300 mono laser printer that I have had 10-15 years and I get around 7,000 pages per cartridge out of it at a cost of just over a penny per page.

Dave

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
When looking at laser printers keep this in mind. Many times the parts that wear out are built into the toner cartridges. Not all of them but quite a few of them. That is typically what HP always did. Then as more and more people complained about the $200-250 refill kits, they eventually started to split off the toner from these other parts. For home use it isn't as big of a deal. You will likely never print enough to wear one out. At least not in my home.

My Sister and Brother-in-Law are both lawyers and share an office and a secretary with one additional lawyer. They have a secretary/paralegal who likes having a printer at her desk for printing something on letterhead or envelopes and labels rather than trying to run that type of stuff through their big office printer/scanner/fax. I replaced her computer a couple weeks ago and ended up getting her a Dell laser. Probably not the best one out there but for her needs it should work well. At a little under $200 it is basically disposable. The refill toner cartridges in my HP Laserjet 5M cost more than that the last time I bought one. This got me thinking when it dies again or needs a refill, I probably won't fix it. That Dell was cheaper, has all the same options. Network connectivity (Wired built in with optional wireless), duplexer for two sided printing and is 3 times faster at printing (10 PPM vs 35 ppm).
The laser printers that HP has been putting out for the last half dozen years or so are relatively inexpensive based on what you get. I have a reasonably basic one that I bought about ten years or so ago for about $350 that included a duplex option (print on both sides of the page without having to manually flip the paper). I do NOT use it a lot, and I have never replaced the toner cartridge. It's finally getting to a point where the toner may finally be getting low.

One thing to understand when buying a laser printer is that, although a toner cartridge will be included, it is very likely to not be a "full" cartridge. You will most likely get quite a bit less use out of the included cartridge than a replacement one.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
what about one of those ones were you get a bottle of ink and refill the printer with it? that name escapes me right now, but it sure is cool!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
what about one of those ones were you get a bottle of ink and refill the printer with it? that name escapes me right now, but it sure is cool!:thumbup1gif:
The problem with inkjets in general is over time the ink dries in the print head and you start having issues unless they are used frequently. With most of the new ink cartridges the print head is part of the cartridge. That is the part that dries out, not necessarily the ink in the tank. Some printers have the tank separate from the heads but it is still many more often head issue. This is why refilling the cartridge isn't always the best route. It might work if it is actually empty but that isn't always the case. If you print a lot it works better than the person that prints once every few months. There are cleaning modes that clean the heads but that pushes a lot of ink through the head in an attempt to push out the clog. Sometimes it works and others there is just too much dried junk.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The laser printers that HP has been putting out for the last half dozen years or so are relatively inexpensive based on what you get. I have a reasonably basic one that I bought about ten years or so ago for about $350 that included a duplex option (print on both sides of the page without having to manually flip the paper). I do NOT use it a lot, and I have never replaced the toner cartridge. It's finally getting to a point where the toner may finally be getting low.

One thing to understand when buying a laser printer is that, although a toner cartridge will be included, it is very likely to not be a "full" cartridge. You will most likely get quite a bit less use out of the included cartridge than a replacement one.
Yeah that Dell printer comes with a smaller toner cartridge. The one it ships with was rated to be good for 3,000 about pages. When it comes time to replace it you can buy that one or they also have a high capacity version good for 6,000. At the rate we print, even the smaller one would be tough to go through. Of course the estimates depend on how much toner is being used. I am sure there is some average amount per page to come up with those numbers but if you only use it for printing addresses on envelopes you would likely get a lot more than 3000 envelopes.

You are right about some companies using really small ink tanks or toner cartridges that ship with the device. As they make all their money on supplies. The practically give you the device at cost or sometimes even take a loss knowing you have to come back for supplies. That is also why they put a chip in them so you can only use official HP or whatever brand. Kind of like Keurig did with the version 2.0 coffee machines.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Yeah that Dell printer comes with a smaller toner cartridge. The one it ships with was rated to be good for 3,000 about pages. When it comes time to replace it you can buy that one or they also have a high capacity version good for 6,000. At the rate we print, even the smaller one would be tough to go through. Of course the estimates depend on how much toner is being used. I am sure there is some average amount per page to come up with those numbers but if you only use it for printing addresses on envelopes you would likely get a lot more than 3000 envelopes.

You are right about some companies using really small ink tanks or toner cartridges that ship with the device. As they make all their money on supplies. The practically give you the device at cost or sometimes even take a loss knowing you have to come back for supplies. That is also why they put a chip in them so you can only use official HP or whatever brand. Kind of like Keurig did with the version 2.0 coffee machines.
Toner cartridges are rated with a page count that is based on 5% coverage of the page. For printed text only, you really only cover about 3-5% of the total area of the page with one-page documents like short business letters. If you're printing lengthy documents, you'll cover a little more of the page with full pages of text, but not much. Graphics take MUCH more ink to prink, even in grayscale.

I wasn't referring to included cartridges being "smaller", specifically. The cartridges are all the same physical size. The ones that are included with a printer are filled with only a portion of the amount that you would get if you bought the cartridge separately. High capacity cartridges are just that - filled with a higher toner level to provide higher use capacity between replacements. If you print a LOT, they are usually cheaper per page. Otherwise, they wouldn't usually make sense from a cost perspective.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm fortunate in that I get printers that are being replaced for free. We print about 25 pages per year.

We have a wax printer at work. It's like a printer made by Crayola.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'm fortunate in that I get printers that are being replaced for free. We print about 25 pages per year.

We have a wax printer at work. It's like a printer made by Crayola.
Those put out some fantastic looking pages, though.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I'm prepared to get blasted here, but I've had great luck with Canon Pixma inkjet printers that can be found ~$120, scan, copy, print, wifi. This printer unlike other inkjets seems to have a handle on the cartridge dry out that plagued many inkjets. During the summer we will go months with out printing and it's ready to go when we are.

A full set of replacement cartridges are ~$40. I've been purchasing and using the ~$5 replacement cartridge set (to my door) from Amazon. I would not recommend them for photograph printing, but for daily stuff, they're fine.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I wasn't referring to included cartridges being "smaller", specifically. The cartridges are all the same physical size. The ones that are included with a printer are filled with only a portion of the amount that you would get if you bought the cartridge separately. High capacity cartridges are just that - filled with a higher toner level to provide higher use capacity between replacements. If you print a LOT, they are usually cheaper per page. Otherwise, they wouldn't usually make sense from a cost perspective.
Yep, I was saying the same thing. When I was saying smaller I was talking to the amount of consumable material (toner/ink) not physical size. Like I went on to mention, they are giving away the printer pretty much for nothing so you have to buy supplies sooner. They do that by partially filling the ink tank or toner cartridge. When I started in the IT field I did sales stuff many years ago. We would tell people just go ahead and get new cartridges now because what is going to be in that box with the printer will only last you a few hundred pages or so. I wasn't commission though so I didn't care if they bought them from us or somewhere else. Being in "sales" there is little to no margin on the printers. It was all on the cables and ink/toner. That was about 20 years ago but I am sure it is the same today but I haven't dealt with that stuff in so long who knows. I don't see why anything would change.

When we ordered that Dell Laser we also ordered the 6000 "page" large cartridge so it is ready to go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts