Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove out the local 2-lane rural road yesterday to drop off a few things and what do I see coming towards me? A dude in a pickup truck with a giant snow plow on the front (raised up) with both ends extending past the lane lines. He didn't have it angled at all... full on perpendicular. I had to move to the right out of my lane slightly as the plow end was clearly over the yellow line.

Not sure which is worse... this or them driving 70 MPH on the Interstate.

Why? What is wrong with these folks?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Same thing happen yesterday to me. Guy had it straight and was hanging over yellow line. Probably can’t angle it or it will drag and the plow look way to big for the truck, and looked like the back tires were barely on the ground. Another pet peeve of mine it when the push snow across the road:banghead::mad:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Drove out the local 2-lane rural road yesterday to drop off a few things and what do I see coming towards me? A dude in a pickup truck with a giant snow plow on the front (raised up) with both ends extending past the lane lines. He didn't have it angled at all... full on perpendicular. I had to move to the right out of my lane slightly as the plow end was clearly over the yellow line.

Not sure which is worse... this or them driving 70 MPH on the Interstate.

Why? What is wrong with these folks?
Sad thing is that he's probably thinking, who's this guy coming toward me? Dosen't he know to get out of he!! out of my way? :banghead: :nunu:

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
I have learned over the years to move over for the County Plows you never win. I have a love for the County Plow Drivers out there running the trucks full of sand and big a$$ blade on the front blowing snow off the road for me. Nearer us I will park to let the guy keep going and not mess up a good push pattern. I always look for signs of them going home to see how much fun I can have the rest of the way. Plus I might meet one coming down from our hill. Lot of the privet plow guys around here bought a plow but don't know how to use one. Our county drivers are good with there plow trucks till a much smaller thing try's to pass one at the wrong time. Most of our drivers are local kids who know the roads growing up.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
This is becoming a bigger problem. Back when I first drove a pickup with a plow (late 70s!) a 7.5' plow was the standard. Then all the cities/towns started demanding that you have an 8' plow for any municipal contracts. Now (in my area away) they want a 9' plow minimum and I see lots of guys with 10' plows. Most of these guys have a hard enough time keeping their truck in their lane as it is. Now they've got an extra foot of plow hanging off both sides of the truck to go with it. We've had 2 people in the greater Boston area killed in the last 2 or 3 days when they got hit by plows driving past them.

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have learned over the years to move over for the County Plows you never win. I have a love for the County Plow Drivers out there running the trucks full of sand and big a$$ blade on the front blowing snow off the road for me. Nearer us I will park to let the guy keep going and not mess up a good push pattern. I always look for signs of them going home to see how much fun I can have the rest of the way. Plus I might meet one coming down from our hill. Lot of the privet plow guys around here bought a plow but don't know how to use one. Our county drivers are good with there plow trucks till a much smaller thing try's to pass one at the wrong time. Most of our drivers are local kids who know the roads growing up.
This was not a guy who was plowing the public road. He was a private yeah-who who runs around plowing peoples driveways. He obviously didn't know how to adjust his equipment for safe travelling among other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
This was not a guy who was plowing the public road. He was a private yeah-who who runs around plowing peoples driveways. He obviously didn't know how to adjust his equipment for safe travelling among other vehicles.
I have seen the privet guys blades just a inch above the road on a angle knowing it is going to hit something. Those drivers scare me to when they don't know how wide there blade is past the sides!

·
Premium Member
13,972 Posts
IMO The only thing these private operators see is :gizmo::gizmo::gizmo: when it snows. They spent all this money for a snow plow , majority of them thing they can make a ton of money. They have no idea of how to setup their equipment or care to learn how to take of there of equipment. Most of them have no respect for the persons property they are plowing.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
IMO The only thing these private operators see is :gizmo::gizmo::gizmo: when it snows. They spent all this money for a snow plow , majority of them thing they can make a ton of money. They have no idea of how to setup their equipment or care to learn how to take of there of equipment. Most of them have no respect for the persons property they are plowing.

Just my 2 cents
This sums it up perfectly IMO, and then they go and put an amber caution lite on the roof and think it's their right just to back out into oncoming traffic. :banghead::banghead:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts

Just my 2 cents
And the shame of it is, they dont have a clue how much extra wear & tear they are putting on those shiny new trucks of theirs. As a gov't fleet mechanic for well over 30 years, the amount of damage just from NORMAL use is astounding. Now add to that mix the inexperienced person sitting behind the wheel and, their trucks become so out of whack, frame-wise, is not something they thought of when those dollar signs started rolling around in their head. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
A Yellow Flashing Light on your roof makes you special till your hit! My Wife loves how those rubber traffic cones stops them from getting hit.
You should see what a traffic cone stuck and wrapped halfway around a driveshaft looks like. Hopefully it snows in the next week or so here and Im sure we will have at least one in our shop and I will take some pix.....happens alot around here. :lolol:

PS, dont let them cones fool you.....they are a royal PITA to cut off once they get all twisted up in the undercarriage. Usually need a sawzall to get them unstuck.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
And the shame of it is, they dont have a clue how much extra wear & tear they are putting on those shiny new trucks of theirs. As a gov't fleet mechanic for well over 30 years, the amount of damage just from NORMAL use is astounding. Now add to that mix the inexperienced person sitting behind the wheel and, their trucks become so out of whack, frame-wise, is not something they thought of when those dollar signs started rolling around in their head. :mocking:
Those are the same pickup trucks you’ll see in the summer dog-legging down the road with the front tires completely offset from the rears, the front of the bed and rear of the cab sagging down almost touching the pavement and the exhaust missing...

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
Those are the same pickup trucks you’ll see in the summer dog-legging down the road with the front tires completely offset from the rears, the front of the bed and rear of the cab sagging down almost touching the pavement and the exhaust missing...
pulling a cheap trailer with a zero turn and a weed eater on it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
This sums it up perfectly IMO, and then they go and put an amber caution lite on the roof and think it's their right just to back out into oncoming traffic. :banghead::banghead:
But they learn real quick when they try that in front of a guy with the nifty red and blue flashy lights!

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
But they learn real quick when they try that in front of a guy with the nifty red and blue flashy lights!
Or a tractor trailer, as me how I know. :laugh:

·
Registered
572 Posts
You should see what a traffic cone stuck and wrapped halfway around a driveshaft looks like. Hopefully it snows in the next week or so here and Im sure we will have at least one in our shop and I will take some pix.....happens alot around here. :lolol:

PS, dont let them cones fool you.....they are a royal PITA to cut off once they get all twisted up in the undercarriage. Usually need a sawzall to get them unstuck.
How about box springs, are they hard to remove??

Gotta read the whole article....
Well apparently, i can't hot-link an article from Jalopnik without the link containing 1 million characters.

:lol::laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Toughsox I had a similar experience years ago. One Saturday I was working on a construction job on a very cold and windy day. A large piece of plastic blew under my truck. I didn't notice when I left. Going down the freeway I notice a plastic burning smell and saw some smoke rolling out from under my truck. I stopped and found a pretty large fire burning under my truck. This was before cell phones and I wasn't in the best part of town. No fire extinguisher but I had gloves and some rags. Put the fire out with the rags wearing the gloves. Cut the hot plastic remains off with a razer knife which took a fair amount of time. Needless to say I look under my truck now every time I get in it. After I got home :bigbeer::bigbeer::bigbeer:
Ron

·
Registered
133 Posts
Things stuck under vehicles reminds me of the recycle bin stuck under the ambulance. Somehow we hit it just right and it slid smack center under the front end.

We put the patient in the ambulance and I tried real quick to get it out. That wasn't happening. I can't stay here and keep trying, so I started to drive to hospital. Thought once I make a turn or 2 it would just flip out. It didn't. You could hear that plastic bin scrapping away on the pavement all the way to the hospital. Once I got there, backed into the drop off area, it came out. I melted enough of the top ridge off to get it out.

It sat up on the shelves of the report writing room for years. I laughed every time I saw it. Only 2 of us new how it got there.

·
Registered
21,237 Posts
Or a tractor trailer, as me how I know. :laugh:
A time I will never forget -

I was running my highway plow truck - tandem axle dump - full load of material - both plows down totaling 15’ wide - cruising my regular run at around 30mph. Now I know that doesn’t seem fast but that is really moving with 2 plows full.

A long straightaway - the state police barracks coming up on my left. Local Joe plow boy is plowing the barracks parking lot. As I am approaching I see him flying in reverse, out into the road, then making a pass in toward the building. I’m getting closer...and see him start backing up again. Me thinks he won’t back up all the way out onto the road again being he HAD to have seen me his last time out there. By this point you could see me from the building proper.

Here he comes. I expect him to stop at the end of the driveway. He slowed some some I kept the fuel to it. Then for some reason he speeds up. It was the only time in 9 years doing that where I heard the anti-lock brakes work.

I ended up stopped dead in the road. He never even looked. As I sat there in wonderment I looked over at the barracks - a trooper happened to be standing out front and saw the whole thing.

I couldn’t get started from stop with both blades full of snow - had to lift my plows, back up, and start over. All this on our busiest 55 mph road. As I got going we both were shaking our heads.

I saw the same guy in town in later weeks doing the same exact things while plowing out other business.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts