Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took delivery of my tractor I was told (very quickly and I barely caught it) that when hooking up the Tiller (or rotary cutter) to hang the chain clipped to the shaft cover - but I never caught where. In the past two days I have had the PTO shaft where the PTO coupler is separate from the equipment shaft - I presume because I had it hanging (not connected - I was using the tiller ballast and brush hogging today) from the top shaft on the 3 point hitch. I presume the angle got too extreme and they separated. in today's case it seems that the clip actually broke and the shaft was no longer supported.

Ok so the question - 1. what is the true purpose of that chain on the shaft guard. And 2. where in the heck to you connect it to?

I am going to have to go fight with the shaft on the rotary cutter tomorrow but need to understand the purpose and use of that chain if I have hopes of making it work properly.

·
Administrator
20,883 Posts
The chains are solely meant to keep the plastic shields from spinning, they are not meant to hold any weight. It really does not matter where you clip them.

The shaft should never separate while the implement is attached to the 3PH, if it does it's to short and you risk damage to you tiller and tractor.

Here are some videos on measuring for shaft length: sizing a pto shaft - Google Search

PS: Moving thread to I&A forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,288 Posts
You can hook the chain to pretty much anything available. It's only purpose is to prevent the PTO shield from spinning. The PTO housing on my machine happened to have a hole drilled through it. I mounted an eyebolt through that hole and use that for connecting the chains.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Never feel bad about asking a question you don't have the answer to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts