Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year, I had the dealer install a 47" quick hitch snow blower on my new 1025r. In the spring, I took off the blower with the quick hitch attached, took off the PTO and the front mounting bracket that holds it. Kept everything together. Yesterday, I reassembled it. When I tried to connect the PTO (rear, not mid) to the snow blower driveshaft it was about 1 1/2" too short. Help! 12-16" of snow expected today and tonight. What did I do wrong? Have been searching online for good pictures of how the assembly should look in case I'm putting something on upside down or backwards, but haven't found any. Everything looks logical. Disassembled and reassembled three times and nothing changed, still 1 1/2" too short . Then I thought about what Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Most likely nothing has changed. Make sure the drive shaft has not collapsed. It is suppose to move in and out. At least that is the only thing I can thinkl of if you have not done anything to it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The pto shaft that connects to the snow blower telescopes. Is that shaft stuck & not telescoping?
That is the only part that could change length.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
The 1025 front PTO driveshaft doesn't have a slip joint in the shaft. When installing the front PTO, the front the shaft (hex part) slides front in the two bearings mounted in the front mount. When installing the PTO driveshaft at the rear, the shaft coupling at the rear needs to be aligned with the splines and slide back onto the splines. This may take twisting the driveshaft a little to get it to align on the splines. Essentially what is happening when you install the driveshaft, is you are actually sliding the shaft out of the front bearings (hex end) a little bit to enable sliding it onto the splines at the drive end. The front mount (hex end) then becomes the driveshaft slip joint since the shaft is no longer bottom out. The shaft can move freely within the hex bearings to keep the driveshaft from binding.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
I can't help you as I don't have a snow blower BUT, :wgtt: Hope someone can figure this out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1025 front PTO driveshaft doesn't have a slip joint in the shaft. When installing the front PTO, the front the shaft (hex part) slides front in the two bearings mounted in the front mount. When installing the PTO driveshaft at the rear, the shaft coupling at the rear needs to be aligned with the splines and slide back onto the splines. This may take twisting the driveshaft a little to get it to align on the splines. Essentially what is happening when you install the driveshaft, is you are actually sliding the shaft out of the front bearings (hex end) a little bit to enable sliding it onto the splines at the drive end. The front mount (hex end) then becomes the driveshaft slip joint since the shaft is no longer bottom out. The shaft can move freely within the hex bearings to keep the driveshaft from binding.
Yes, the front slides back a little, I connect it to the back drive and then with the angle it's at, it doesn't go forward to gain that extra inch or so I need to hook up the blower. Maybe it's as simple as more grease on that hex end.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
:wgtt:

Pics might help those in the know.....Mine is a mid PTO mount, so sorry cannot help.....

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Yes, the front slides back a little, I connect it to the back drive and then with the angle it's at, it doesn't go forward to gain that extra inch or so I need to hook up the blower. Maybe it's as simple as more grease on that hex end.
I think I understand what your are saying. Is this is? When the rear of the PTO shaft is connected to the front PTO diff. output splines, the shaft has slid back out of the front mount (hex end) so far that there isn't enough of the shaft exposed on the blower side of the shart to connect the short driveshaft from the blower too. Whew. I surely don't know what would cause that unless the front mount isn't actually attached properly to the tractor but I don't know how you would get it attached correctly.
Pictures will maybe help.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Last year, I had the dealer install a 47" quick hitch snow blower on my new 1025r. In the spring, I took off the blower with the quick hitch attached, took off the PTO and the front mounting bracket that holds it. Kept everything together. Yesterday, I reassembled it. When I tried to connect the PTO (rear, not mid) to the snow blower driveshaft it was about 1 1/2" too short. Help! 12-16" of snow expected today and tonight. What did I do wrong? Have been searching online for good pictures of how the assembly should look in case I'm putting something on upside down or backwards, but haven't found any. Everything looks logical. Disassembled and reassembled three times and nothing changed, still 1 1/2" too short . Then I thought about what Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
I just installed my blower for the first time today. If the pto shaft is connected to the mm pto, and there is not enough sticking thru the front bearing to attach the blower, there has to be something wrong with the way the front hitch is installed. Is the steel rod attached on the front mount holding it in place? Is it there?

That is the only possibility that I can think of.

Phil d

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here are some pictures of what it should look like. About 2 1/2 inches of spline protrude from the front of the quick hitch. Once the snow blower shaft is correctly connected, about 1 1/2 inches of spline show on the front of the snow blower drive shaft. I included several pictures of the how the quick hitch is connected to the tractor. I'm wondering if you just don't have the splines lined up, so it seems that the drive shaft is too short. It can be a little difficult to line it up, slide back the locking collar, and slide it on at the same time.
IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0102.JPG

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mary:

A couple of things that may help:

1. Before trying to install, pull back and twist the collar on the drive shaft that slips onto the mid-PTO shaft. It will temporarily "lock" in this position so you don't have to hold the collar back while trying to slide it onto the mid-PTO shaft.

2. Set the PTO selector to rear PTO. This will allow the mid-PTO shaft to turn freely, making it much easier to get the splines in the drive shaft and PTO stub to line up.

The drive shaft collar will slide forward by itself once it is fully engaged onto the PTO stub. (To remove the drive shaft next spring, you will have to pull the collar back.)
Be sure to switch the PTO selector back to mid-PTO to drive the snowblower.

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
Hoping you have things connected. Try spraying some Fluid Film, WD 40 , or just some type lub to help get the splines to slide on the two front brackets.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Mary,

When I first installed my snow blower drive shaft, I found they had over-painted the front end and some paint was on the hex portion that goes into the bushings. I had to scrape, file, and sand this paint off so that this section would move easily in the bushings. I don't know if this is your problem, but it is worth checking.

Keane

·
Registered
251 Posts
The front bracket has 2 hex bearings the drive shaft passes through. Before installing, sight through the bearings and make sure the 2 hexes are in alignment with each other. Otherwise, the furthest front bearing will catch.
This is the 3rd year I've put mine on and I think I'm finally confident I can install the blower using the above tip. The manual is lacking and last year I wrote these steps on. The front cover that may help:

1. Install the front bracket before connecting the rear of the drive shaft to the mid PTO.

2. Lay the drive shaft on the floor under the tractor and connect the front end of the shaft to the front bracket BEFORE you connect it to the mid PTO. Make sure it passes freely through BOTH bearings then connect the rear of the shaft to the mid PTO.

3. Connect the hydraulic lift bracket to the front bracket and then connect hydraulic hoses.

4. Pickup snowblower with hydraulic lift and the connect chute hoses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts