Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get the 3pt hitch to go low enough for the crossbar assembly to engage or disengage the backhoe slot. I know I could adjust both lift links to lower the crossbar but don’t think I should have to since the 485A is made for the 4 Series and there is nothing in the 485A manual about adjusting both lift links.

Is there any way to adjust the lower limit of the rockshaft travel?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is this the first time you've uninstalled it? If so than I suspect the dealer may have installed the backhoe while it was sitting on something that raised it up off the ground a bit. Once the top lift arms go down all the way than the only adjustment left is the vertical links connected to the lower lift arms. It's actually a common occurrence that new owners have run across on the new R series tractors, at least from what I've seen. Even on my 3039r I needed to adjust the vertical links because the lower arms wouldn't go as low as my old 3320. Adjusted and they work just the same It's nothing that the 485A being made for the 4R tractors could prevent, it's just a common side effect that could be experienced with any attachments that isn't allowed to lower far enough to the ground.

Rick

Reactions: skivy44

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Rick. Yes it did occur the first time I tried to remove it. Not sure how the dealer installed it prior to delivery. Also wasn't aware that this is a common occurance on the new R series tractors. For now I have the BH sitting on some 2 1/2 inch thick blocks so I can remove and install it. Contacted the dealer and they will be sending out a tech to take a look.

It may be that adjusting the lift links is the only solution but that just doesn't seem right. For now my question still remains, is there any possible adjustment to the rockshaft mechanism, other than adjusting the lift links, to make the 3 pt travel lower? Also, are there any 4 series owners out there with a 485A BH who have run across this situation?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wouldn’t so much say it’s an issue or even a design flaw with the R series tractors. I think it’s more just the way they’re designed, and knowing that the vertical lift links can be adjusted to lower the lower arms. If you watch the upper lift arms as they go down you should see them pivot all the way down as far as they’ll go, almost bottom out I guess you could say. You could unhook the vertical links to verify the travel of the upper arms isn’t being inhibited. But otherwise, that’s why there’s no adjustment for the hydraulics. Basically there’s no travel left for those upper arms, so adjusting the vertical links for the lower arms is likely the only option.

Rick

·
Administrator
18,512 Posts
I don't understand the reluctance to adjust the lift arms a few turns?

·
Premium Member
10,137 Posts
I don't understand the reluctance to adjust the lift arms a few turns?
:dunno:

The lift arms on my 3039R are adjusted to allow me to put the 375A on the ground. Actually I have to raise the arms just a tad as the bar goes into the guide slot.

Even as low as they are adjusted, I can lift my box blade plenty high enough to be able to go up my trailer ramps without dragging the blade.

Reactions: Old Cajun and WH401

·
Registered
386 Posts
All,

Mine was adjusted fairly well. I think the next time I remove it I will need to tweak the right link adjustment to shorten it just a bit as I had to rock it and have an "assistant" (Wifey) push the pin in. Left one went right in.
However, What I found out is the "Park" pinned position does not allow you to remove the backhoe without the outriggers down. Apparently the bucket needs to be "parallel" with the dipperstick in order to make contact with the ground. Otherwise, the front end of the backhoe tilts up and stays engaged with the sub-frame hooks. :banghead:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally had time to try my box blade, ballast box and rotary cutter on the 3 pt hitch. Like with the backhoe, the 3 pt would not go low enough to attach any of them without extending both lift links about 2 inches. Everything works so I’m ok with it for now. When I hear back from the dealer who raised the issue with JD I’ll post any info I receive. Thanks for the inputs I did get from the forum.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Finally had time to try my box blade, ballast box and rotary cutter on the 3 pt hitch. Like with the backhoe, the 3 pt would not go low enough to attach any of them without extending both lift links about 2 inches. Everything works so I’m ok with it for now. When I hear back from the dealer who raised the issue with JD I’ll post any info I receive. Thanks for the inputs I did get from the forum.
Two silly questions:

Have you tried adjusting the rate of drop? It should go all the way down with weight on it, so I really don't think that is the issue.

Next, Is your position limiting lock on the 3pt. lever adjusted to allow the lever to go all the way down?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any questions, comments or suggestions are appreciated.

I did try adjusting the rate of drop through it’s full range with no change to how low the 3pt would go.

The rock shaft lever stop is full forward so not a factor.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As mentioned previously there is no hydraulic adjustment for how far down the 3pt will go. The rate of drop only controls the descent rate of the 3pt when there is a lot of weight on it. The solution to your problem is to adjust the vertical links on the 3pt so that your lower arms go closer to the ground.

Rick

Reactions: Kennyd
1 - 11 of 11 Posts