Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have almost 4.5 acres to cut.

I have a 1025r with 60D mowing deck.
I bought an Agri-fab 44" lawn sweeper (25 cu. ft. capacity).

The front yard is about an acre and with just 2 weeks between mowings I filled the sweeper 8 times!
IMG_5317-400.JPG

Using a pitch fork to load this into a trailer nearly gave me heat stroke.
I thought there HAS to be an easier way to clean up these piles.

Enter the Hay Sweep:
IMG_5487-400.JPG

Made from 1x2's and 1x3's maybe it'll help someone else.

ProZack

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like it. Kinda reminds me of Avon Montana where they still put up hay using buck rakes and beaver slides. Might have to borrow your idea for my 4 acres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1025R, H120, 260 backhoe, 60D mower, Artillian forks, and Ken's hooks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Good idea. But wouldn't it be easier just to cut it more often? I cut every 5-7 days and there isn't much left to worry about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good idea. But wouldn't it be easier just to cut it more often? I cut every 5-7 days and there isn't much left to worry about.
I unfortunately get the privilege of working 24 hour shifts for 14 days straight then get 14 days off. My grass looks like crap when I hit days off especially when we have good moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1025R, H120, 260 backhoe, 60D mower, Artillian forks, and Ken's hooks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure it would be a little easier. But, 8x25 cu.ft. @ 14 days would be about 4x25 cu.ft. @ 7 days... still 4 big piles to clean up. AND this only about 1 acre of the 4.5 I have to mow...

I was mowing and cleaning up the "field" yesterday (~2.25 acres) and with about 1/2 the grass swept up I have at least 37 of these piles already. It's A LOT of biomass.

Since we only moved here 3 months ago, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the grass. By next year I'm hoping to be able to bale it or something. I hate that it's all going to waste. Or rather it's all going into a big pile by the woods that I'll have to deal with later. Maybe compost.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
For my 4+ acres I only mow about 1.5 (everything around the house directly and along the roads) and just let the other 2.5 grow over the summer. I chop it down each spring. The various critters that live in the yard seem to like it better (see much more wildlife in the yard when it's long vs when it's looking like a yard.)

This idea would come in really handy in the spring though....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts