Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I pulled her into the barn and noticed a small leak on the concrete floor coming from under the left front "gear case" housing. I lay on my back and look up and I can see gears. The bottom plate or plug is gone. I believe this part is LVU19403, can anyone confirm this? What do I need to install this?

I'm going to add a link to the pictures I took today. Hopefully this paints a clearer picture.

https://ibb.co/4N91wzm
the side that the bottom plate or plug is gone.

https://ibb.co/ZSGM339
The side that has the plate. Nothing wrong on the side.

https://ibb.co/XbNqMBm
The side in question and the oil spot that caught my attention.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
13,562 Posts
According to the 4600 parts list it looks like part #25 for which they show two different part numbers. You may need to consult the dealer to see which is the correct part. It looks like it just presses in.

Attachments

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the 4600 parts list it looks like part #25 for which they show two different part numbers. You may need to consult the dealer to see which is the correct part. It looks like it just presses in.
Yeah I saw that when i was looking at a similar parts diagram. Calling in the morning for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hope you do not have a more serious problem. Has the shaft dropped down and knocked the cap out?
Hope not. Looks to be all there I belieeeeve... just the plug/cap is gone... never saw this before. I live in the northeast so per my second picture it's basically rust welded on. Lol

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
looks like you need to do the outer seal on the axles also while you messing around in there....

my 4500 i wound a hay bale string around the wheel and cut the seal this last year causing oil on the inside of the wheel like i see on your "good" side

i am shocked at the rust...is the tractor exposed to a lot of salt? or ? mine has zero rust .....great little tractors though

here is what the manual says about spindle cap installation line 7

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like you need to do the outer seal on the axles also while you messing around in there....

my 4500 i wound a hay bale string around the wheel and cut the seal this last year causing oil on the inside of the wheel like i see on your "good" side

i am shocked at the rust...is the tractor exposed to a lot of salt? or ? mine has zero rust .....great little tractors though
Yes, long winters here in Vermont. It's all on the wheels though and actually mostly on the front ones. They need replacement soon as I am about to do a clean and paint. Shes a 2001 and has lived her entire life here. Mostly farm work but the last 5 years have been alot of snow activites. 3200 hours.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yes, long winters here in Vermont. It's all on the wheels though and actually mostly on the front ones. They need replacement soon as I am about to do a clean and paint. Shes a 2001 and has lived her entire life here. Mostly farm work but the last 5 years have been alot of snow activites. 3200 hours.
see my edit above to technical manual (calls it a "spindle cap")....if you need any other manual references i will try to help but above is all it says about that cap you lost (i will be checking mine tommorow for damage since i think i jacked on the bottom of mine when i did the axle seals replacement last year)

im only at 1700 hrs (1999 year) but its my favorite tractor day to day...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I suggest you tear that down and check it all out. Some of those had problems and the way they were made ( bearings, gears and shafts) has changed. If you catch some problems early you can fix them inexpensively.
Call JD and check price and availability on those housing and such. Search the web. You will be shocked. Do not put it off. Just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts