Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to take the MMM off of the tractor, hit the lift switch so I could put it in Install position, and nothing, it won't lift or even make a noise.

I'm pretty sure it's electrical problem, acts like a blown fuse, but I can't find mention of a fuse for it anywhere. I can't believe the circuit is not fused, but all the fuses in the fuse box are good, and everything else electrical seems to work.

Any ideas appreciated before I resort to tracing wires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd start by popping the switch out of the dash and make sure one of the little connectors hasn't just vibrated off

But yes, a little test light probe is definatly essential for working on 12v systems of any kind

Reactions: spferdil

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Today I went to take the MMM off of the tractor, hit the lift switch so I could put it in Install position, and nothing, it won't lift or even make a noise.

I'm pretty sure it's electrical problem, acts like a blown fuse, but I can't find mention of a fuse for it anywhere. I can't believe the circuit is not fused, but all the fuses in the fuse box are good, and everything else electrical seems to work.

Any ideas appreciated before I resort to tracing wires.
The lift switch is powered by wire 562 which gets its power from fuse 8 in the schematic (G in the fuse box layout). 10 amp fuse. If it's not the fuse, maybe the switch or solenoid valve coil. There is also a wiring connector in the harness that goes from the rocker switch to the solenoid valve. Make sure this didn't get unplugged for some reason.

Attachments

Reactions: spferdil and Kennyd

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thing really bit me in the butt but everything is OK now.

It was late yesterday when this happened and I was tired. After checking all the fuses I decided to wait until today to pursue it further. Then later I remembered that I have the Service Manual CD, so today I printed the relevant wiring diagrams from it and saw that there was no other fuse for the lift as I had expected.

So pulled the switch out and checked it - good, checked the 12 volts to it - good, couldn't get to the solenoid to check it with the deck all the way up in Lock position. So decided next move would be to man-handle the deck to get it out of Lock position and drop it out of the way.

Still had the switch on the bench so decided to put it back in before before moving on since everything checked OK on that end. I plugged the switch back in and put it back in the dash, and for some reason I pushed the switch, and... the SOB worked!

The plug had seemed tight when I pulled it off of the switch, but the only explanation I can come up with is it must not have been completely seated on the switch before - (but it had been working fine for a year) - :dunno:

Anyway, it's working fine again now and I will know where to check first if it happens again. :laugh:

I really appreciate all the responses, and all had good information. That's the great thing about this place, people willing to help with a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Best thing I ever got was a power probe. It would allow you to put 12 volts right to the switch and to also determine if it is a bad ground.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I agree the "Power Probe" is a worth while investment.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi All
I had a similar thing happen, I kept blowing main fuse so I unplugged as many things as I could easily get at easily, things like the seat switch, alternator, neutral switch etc. Then I replaced the fuse it didn't blow when I turned the ignition on so I reconnected everything in turn. The fuse didn't blow again, that was 3 years ago and the fuse hasn't blown since. I never found the problem it just disappeared.
Regards John

·
Registered
41 Posts
This thing really bit me in the butt but everything is OK now.

It was late yesterday when this happened and I was tired. After checking all the fuses I decided to wait until today to pursue it further. Then later I remembered that I have the Service Manual CD, so today I printed the relevant wiring diagrams from it and saw that there was no other fuse for the lift as I had expected.

So pulled the switch out and checked it - good, checked the 12 volts to it - good, couldn't get to the solenoid to check it with the deck all the way up in Lock position. So decided next move would be to man-handle the deck to get it out of Lock position and drop it out of the way.

Still had the switch on the bench so decided to put it back in before before moving on since everything checked OK on that end. I plugged the switch back in and put it back in the dash, and for some reason I pushed the switch, and... the SOB worked!

The plug had seemed tight when I pulled it off of the switch, but the only explanation I can come up with is it must not have been completely seated on the switch before - (but it had been working fine for a year) - :dunno:

Anyway, it's working fine again now and I will know where to check first if it happens again. :laugh:

I really appreciate all the responses, and all had good information. That's the great thing about this place, people willing to help with a problem.
Same thing happened to me about a year ago. It just started working as I was testing. I think the solenoids stick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts