Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing a smaller version of whats called a landscaping rake to use behind the Gator 4x2,and not liking what i saw available,I constructed what you see. A spare 1500lb winch provided the power source to raise/lower the rake 'head' when traveling to the work area,and located just behind it is a removable pin that allows for 20 degrees of articulation either plane. I built it to maintain the 4.7 miles of trails we have for horses & dirtbikes,and I've found several other genuine 'work' related tasks that it's just great for (raking indoor/outdoor horse arenas,collecting hay 'clumps', distributing manure clumps in the paddocks,etc.). Finished weight is 140 lb,so it's easy to maneuver around and store.Cost of materials;approx $280 not including the winch.The tines were purchased at Agri-Supply-best price of anywhere-$4.50 per tine.
I wish I'd built one of these before now.......

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,021 Posts
Nice build SAMinIN. We now need action shots. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Curious to see if that wench rattles apart from the constant vibration of dragging rake over rough terrain.
Build looks good though, nice job.:good2:

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
:thumbup1gif:

Nice build.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: Frankenrake

Thanks all,for your compliments and comments....Yes,those quick disconnects would certainly look much more professional and provide a much better current path;but,I chose the clips so that I could quickly connect the 'Rake to any of the other vehicles equipped with a 2" receiver. I recently built two 9K winch systems for rear pick-up truck receivers and did use the quick-disconnect connectors for those two projects. Yeah,those clips are goofy/cheap looking,but for this application,they work well.....

In regards to how well this rig holds up to thrashing about on the trails and in the field,so far,great. I've logged 14 hrs use time so far-zero problems. The winch is loafing with no more than it has to raise;it'll be that cheap-ass Chink relay control that gives up the ghost first...and ,to my surprise it's been fine ((((so far)))). I'll post a few more detailed pics of the rig here soon......It was literally a weekend project (start to finish) that has been surprisingly effective.......

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Curious to see if that wench rattles apart from the constant vibration of dragging rake over rough terrain.
Build looks good though, nice job.:good2:

Hmmmmmm,,

Urban Dictionary: wench

I hope it does not shake apart his main squeeze,, either,,, :flag_of_truce:

As far as the rake, did you consider adding an angle feature to allow windrowing of rocks/sticks?? :dunno:
75% of the time, I am windrowing material with my rake,,,

grass.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts