Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old son said he wanted apple trees last year and has been consistent in his request for months - maybe a year by now. My wife has also jumped on the bandwagon in wanting them, so... this spring, we are getting apple trees!

Since we have clay-loam soil, I wanted to mix in composted wood mulch into the ground before planting, which I did already. My wife took the kids to her parents while I used the dump trailer to unload mulch. After I put down mulch, I roto-tilled it into the soil. The area looks good and ready to plan some trees! Side note, it was low 70s, sunshine, no kids, not rushing to do the work. Just me the tractor hooked up to the dump trailer spreading about 6 cu yards of mulch, with an coffee in hand. For me, that's about perfect. I don't want to do it every day, but every now and again, I love it!

It's a bit early to plant apple trees in Ohio, but once it becomes ready to plant, the good trees are hard to find. I decided to buy now, and keep them in the pots for a few more weeks. I can easily bring them into the unheated garage if we show signs of freezing before I plant them. I got three Honeycrisp and one Wolf River, so they can cross pollinate. If these are successful, we intend on planting more. I will post photos when I get them planted.

On another side note, this was the first time I went to North Branch Tree Nursery in Pemberville, Ohio. Definitely recommend going there if you need trees in Ohio! I will be going back soon!

·
Registered
2021 X738
38 Posts
That's awesome. We are starting fruit trees this year as well. Can't wait until we get to pick something off them!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm up to 7 apple trees now, 3 peach trees last year, and added 3 cherry trees this year. It's a fun hobby and I love being able to walk out in the yard at different times of year to find some sort of crop to pick.

3 of my apples are starting to produce apples, they went a couple of years in a really poor spot and have recovered nicely after moving them. Picked up another 4 last year as 1st year grafts, so they have a ways to go.

Peaches, from tractor supply, grew amazing last year and are loaded with flower buds. Might see some fruit this year.

Cherries are new this spring, came as bare root stock. I ordered them early and got them in the ground while still dormant. They all have swelling buds and look very healthy.

Picked my first hazzelnuts (filberts) last fall looking forward to more of those this year.

Pretty soon you will be looking for a spot you can fit more trees into.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Plant them while dormant if you can. Dormant trees will not shock like leafed out trees will as they have no demand for water.

All of my trees were bare root and planted while dormant. Trees were planted in 2016, 2017 & 2018. High density on 3' spacing with 12' rows on trellis with irrigation.

This season is way to warm and the tees are at tight cluster, a good 3 weeks ahead of normal, and sprayed the 1st spray today.

Here are a few pics from last year while in bloom
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0011.JPG
DSCF0017.JPG
DSCF0018.JPG

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pics. They look great! Now I know where to post if I have questions ;)

Reactions: Firewood Bandit

·
Registered
2021 X738
38 Posts
I'd like to ask about the irrigation you have set up. The orchard I ordered my trees from was adamant about not using irrigation. Clearly there are many orchards that use irrigation, including yourself, so how bad can it really be?

Reactions: Firewood Bandit

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks for the pics. They look great! Now I know where to post if I have questions ;)

Feel free to PM me any time, if it is involved we can talk on the phone as it is much more efficient than typing.

Reactions: Boar

·
Registered
450 Posts
Irrigation for an orchard is similar in need to lawn irrigation. It is wonderful IF IT IS NEEDED but can be bad if used when it is not.

To carte blanche say it is bad is pretty dumb. Plus drip irrigation works well with a fertilizer injector.

These are pics when the trees were in the 1st leaf, mighty small compared to now.
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG
DSCF0011.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts