Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the winds came through central Wisconsin and plum blew over one of my precious Red Pines. Never has this happened before. Oak? Indoor Firewood. Jackpine? Outdoor firewood. Aspen? I leave'r lay. White Pine? Sturdy as heck. But never had a Red Pine (Norway) been toppled.

So what do I do with her? I've got plenty of fire wood. Sell it? Totem pole? Lighthouse? Bald Eagle nesting post?

Looking for ideas and whatever I do, I'll take plenty of pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
common uses

Lumber, plywood, poles and pilings are the common uses. Poles and pilings are usually treated much as Southern Yellow Pine would be. If you are a woodworker, that's a nice looking log. There's probably a portable sawmill somewhere around that would mill it for you. I hate to say it, but it's probably not worth hauling any distance to a sawmill for sale unless you are going that way anyway. If you have a way to haul 35-40' logs the best sale would be to a treated pole plant.

If you have a woodworking craft guild or group around some of them may want it.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
2032ranger --u said about a totem pole--would u carve it urself? that nice and straight tree would make a good one. other than milling it, and saving the boards out of it.:dunno: i have no other offers.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No totem pole making experience here. If I put it upright, I'd probably just add things to it like feeders or artifacts found around the property.
Here in central Wi, the red pine is the cash crop for the paper companies (pulp). They are also used for telephone poles.
The previous owner had some type of mill or had access to one because he left me more wood than I could handle. Lots of 6x6 and 8x8s. The biggest was 8x8x19ft and I used that as a main beam for a lean to type structure (my wife calls it a Pavilion.

What I think I'm going to do is make some type of trellis structure for the birds and animals to venture on. I noticed a very large jackpine listing badly so I'll probably use it as well and maybe a few more Red Pine.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
No totem pole making experience here. If I put it upright, I'd probably just add things to it like feeders or artifacts found around the property.
Here in central Wi, the red pine is the cash crop for the paper companies (pulp). They are also used for telephone poles.
The previous owner had some type of mill or had access to one because he left me more wood than I could handle. Lots of 6x6 and 8x8s. The biggest was 8x8x19ft and I used that as a main beam for a lean to type structure (my wife calls it a Pavilion.

What I think I'm going to do is make some type of trellis structure for the birds and animals to venture on. I noticed a very large jackpine listing badly so I'll probably use it as well and maybe a few more Red Pine.
:laugh: ha! u say this red pine is loved by the pulp mills, jeepers-i don't even know my different pines correctly, aw-yeah a spruce, frazer fir's, stuff for christmas trees.
my dad cut pulpwood and logs too. but as a kid i had to stand behind him as he trimmed the limbs off them lousy pine trees.:banghead:
here we mostly had what my dad called field pine:dunno: limbs grew on them from the ground up. lots of trimming for a 5 ft piece of pulpwood. i ran the measuring pole, as he got the limbs trimmed, i would lay the pole on the tree, he would then cut that piece of wood off. at the very top, when he was done, it was also my job then to upend the sticks or pieces of paperwood out towards the stump. i hated that measuring pole as a kid.
now every once a while my dad would run into a bunch of what he called woods pines, or jack pine-i heard him call it that back then, it had no limbs almost to the top. easy cutting their.

the reason he cut pine a lot back then, was because it paid a lot more money back then, more than hardwood. aw-yeah back then a lot of the time, the paper mill gave out peeled pulpwood tickets for u to fill. my dad would load the wood on his truck, bring it home, unload it, peel the bark off of the pieces, let them dry(they was slippery as heck, with the bark off) then load them all back up, and cart them off to the mill. pine paid way a lot more back then. $33 a cord, my dad's truck's average load than was 3 and half cord. to a kid that is a loot of peeling bark off, by hand.. but my dad kinda liked doing that, it was done then, by all hand work, with a draw knife.

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
Interesting story Big Jim!

Around here it is all about hardwoods - any softwood is basically junk. There is a chip board plant about 30 miles away but you would need a full load to make it worth while. Then finding a log truck to haul it is another thing. They are all busy enough making money hauling hardwood to the mill.

There are a few folks stuck back in the hollows that have their own small mill. With one tree like that you could haul it to them, have them cut you some boards, and bring them home. That would be the only value of a single tree like that.

I have a junk pile out in the woods where I pile stuff like that and tree limbs etc. Makes a nice place for the small critters to hide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts