Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Love it! Good old American Iron along with Steam Power!

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
It's kind of interesting how quickly we loose sight of this kind of stuff. I guy local to me has a Deere 655 (circa late 1980s) up for sale and I was surprised that it's only a 16HP machine. Then I got to poking around and found that the 955 was only 33 HP. That's only 1HP more than my 2032R but a significantly larger machine. I see small local farms using 955's for running balers but wouldn't even consider trying it with my tractor.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
The green machine had more than one thing going against him. Those steam engines were "HEAVY" and that shows up here. Notice that the steam engine did not even spin a wheel. Secondly, those steam engines, while maybe they did not have much horsepower, they more than made up for in torque, which is what really moves a load. Another factor here, if you noticed, was that the tow bar was hitched much higher on the steam engine, which causes the green machine to actually lift under load, whereas the steam machine is being "pushed down" under load, thereby having greater traction. It did not appear that the green machine was using 4WD, which may no longer be working after the what appears to be an engine transplant. However, I doubt it would have made any difference here as the steam engine was just "playing" with him.

Dave

·
Registered
768 Posts
Cool!

I'd agree that the height of the tow bar on the steamer certainly put the green machine at more of a disadvantage than if the attachment points were both level, that's for sure. I bet the steamer is a HEAVY machine! Probably could give a Monster truck a good struggle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
OK Bubber, I'm awake now! Love the sound of that little tractor's V8!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
740 Posts
A Formula One race car and a diesel train locomotive each crank out 1000 hp which in my mind makes this a terrible way to measure power output. I know the history behind horsepower (Google it if you don't, it is an interesting story) so I understand the logic... But I fail to see the modern purpose of it. Old steam trains were rated by "Tractive Force" rather than horsepower for exactly this reason. This is also why old tractors had plow ratings to go with their belt and drawbar ratings.

As mentioned before, torque has a lot to do with the drawbar capability of a machine too. Watch the tires on a 830 twist while its hooked to a weight sled and you'll see what I mean. Torque is how the old straight-6 powered pickups could tow circles around small-block V8's... And do it with half the horsepower.

I think the real inequality in this video was weight. The Deere was not exactly a small machine, but I'll bet it was outweighed by the steamer by at least 2 to 1. It clearly had enough power to spin the wheels and dig some impressive ruts, but the steamer's weight gave it more traction. The steamer's wheels barely slipped at all.

What I find most impressive about this video is the chain. I don't care what units you want to use to measure it, there was a lot of power going through that chain!

·
Registered
770 Posts
A Formula One race car and a diesel train locomotive each crank out 1000 hp which in my mind makes this a terrible way to measure power output. I know the history behind horsepower (Google it if you don't, it is an interesting story) so I understand the logic... But I fail to see the modern purpose of it. Old steam trains were rated by "Tractive Force" rather than horsepower for exactly this reason. This is also why old tractors had plow ratings to go with their belt and drawbar ratings.

As mentioned before, torque has a lot to do with the drawbar capability of a machine too. Watch the tires on a 830 twist while its hooked to a weight sled and you'll see what I mean. Torque is how the old straight-6 powered pickups could tow circles around small-block V8's... And do it with half the horsepower.

I think the real inequality in this video was weight. The Deere was not exactly a small machine, but I'll bet it was outweighed by the steamer by at least 2 to 1. It clearly had enough power to spin the wheels and dig some impressive ruts, but the steamer's weight gave it more traction. The steamer's wheels barely slipped at all.

What I find most impressive about this video is the chain. I don't care what units you want to use to measure it, there was a lot of power going through that chain!
The leverage afforded by a connecting rod measured in feet, rather than inches, is always gonna win.:laugh:

Agreed on that chain. No way it was a chinese harbor freight special!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts