Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Need some advice from any propane experts out there. I have propane in my house for the gas range and fireplace and also have a quick hookup in my garage for a BBQ. I have a MR. heater 40,000 BTU LPG heater that I have a tank for but wanted to just get a coupler to use the hookup in the garage. I walked into a local place that deals in propane and when they asked me what I wad trying to do, they said I can't because it would not work do to different pressure. They explained that the house tank has it's own regulator so if I hooked up the Mr. Heater to it, it would give little heat. I asked how a BBQ can hook up to it and he said yes but no to the heater. I didn't feel armed to have an educated discussion on it so I just left.

After leaving, I was thinking why can't I just use a hose without a regulator for the heater? Would it not be regulated by the propane from the house tank?

It sucks having another tank going when I have a large tank full for the house.

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Need some advice from any propane experts out there. I have propane in my house for the gas range and fireplace and also have a quick hookup in my garage for a BBQ. I have a MR. heater 40,000 BTU LPG heater that I have a tank for but wanted to just get a coupler to use the hookup in the garage. I walked into a local place that deals in propane and when they asked me what I wad trying to do, they said I can't because it would not work do to different pressure. They explained that the house tank has it's own regulator so if I hooked up the Mr. Heater to it, it would give little heat. I asked how a BBQ can hook up to it and he said yes but no to the heater. I didn't feel armed to have an educated discussion on it so I just left.

After leaving, I was thinking why can't I just use a hose without a regulator for the heater? Would it not be regulated by the propane from the house tank?

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers
My only advice I can give you is have a professional hook it up.. Propane is dangerous to fool with and I for one would not try to hook this up.. Your homeowner insurance may not cover the explosion.. I just lost a friend 2 months ago to a propane explosion and he was licensed to do gas/plumbing and was a plumber for at least 40 years.. All it takes is a little propane and BOOM.
Please do not try this yourself..

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
If your Mr. Heater is not equipped with the Quick Connector(next to the regulator), you will need to by-pass the built-in regulator, to run off your house propane system.

NOTE: It is highly recommended you purchase; and use a Carbon Monoxide Detector while running the heater.

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers
They told you it "won't work due to different pressure". The large propane tanks typically have a low-pressure regulator installed to feed the house. Typically, those output somewhere between .4 and .6 PSI and that's what is used in RVs, for BBQ grills, etc...

Your Mr. Heater unit uses a high-pressure regulator. Depending on the exact model they use somewhere between 10 and 20 PSI.

So if the pressure coming into the house is already reduced to .5 PSI, there isn't any reasonable way for you to increase it back up to 10+ PSI to run your heater. This is why you'd only get "a little heat". Your heater won't be getting enough gas to run properly. They'd have to come out and replace the current low-pressure regulator with a high-pressure regulator and then cut the low-pressure regulator back in again somewhere downstream of your heater connection. I'm sure they'd be willing to figure out how to do that for you if you're willing to pay them enough.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
You could have a liquid tap installed on your house tank, and refill your 20 pound tanks yourself. You have to do a little custom plumbing, and take a 20 lb cylinder adapter and drill the orifice out of it.
I did it to my tank many years ago.

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers
I have a Mr. Heater # 9120, 120,000 BTU infrared heater suspended from the ceiling in my barn to take the chill out. Purchased from Northern Tool a few years ago. I've attached an installation guide & manual that you may want to read through. It states that their propane heaters require no more than 1/2 psi inlet pressure (11" - 14" w.c. / water column pressure.) under the warning listed on page E4.

I'm running the heater off a dedicated ~ 100 gallon external propane tank outside the barn. The propane tank has a preset residential regulator at the shutoff valve under the fill cap. I've got it piped with 1/2" black pipe into the barn, up a side wall and across the first floor ceiling to a shut-off valve, then using flexible pipe to the inlet fitting on the gas valve. It's thermostatically controlled and uses a continuous pilot. I would have preferred electronic ignition but it wasn't available when I purchased the heater. Hope this information is helpful.

Here's a link to a conversion formula to convert pressure to w.c. / water column: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=water%20column%20to%20pressure%20conversion

This installation was inspected by both the propane delivery company and the town. I would assume that as long as your main supply is large enough to provide enough gas volume to handle the multiple appliances without pressure drop you should be OK as well.

Link to installation manual:http://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/173671.pdf

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I have a similar setup as SGS. Mine's 40K BTU, heats the shop great. I used a 18 inch flex line from my pipe to the heater because I'm no plumber. Make sure you use the gas line pipe dope.

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
I have a Mr. Heater # 9120, 120,000 BTU infrared heater suspended from the ceiling in my barn to take the chill out. Purchased from Northern Tool a few years ago. I've attached an installation guide & manual that you may want to read through. It states that their propane heaters require no more than 1/2 psi inlet pressure (11" - 14" w.c. / water column pressure.) under the warning listed on page E4.
Since he mentioned using a portable tank I presumed he meant one of their torpedo style heaters. I looked on their WWW site and those (except for the "Hero" model) all say 10-20 PSI range for the regulator output.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Here in Massachusetts you cannot do propane yourself, it has to be the company installing the tank/lines first then the fire department checks the tank for location, then the plumbing inspector checks the lines from the tank to the appliance.. Like I said, do not do this yourself. Is it easy? Sure if you've worked with gas before but you need to know what you are doing in the first place.. It is dangerous as I outlined.
I know this will sound dumb, but I had a hornets nest in my propane Webber barbeque grill and when I opened the top up is was covered with bees. So I had this bright idea, shut the cover, get a fireplace match shove it inside the cover and turn on the propane.. Well, you know what happen next right? The cover blew off that thing so fast I didn't have time to blink! BOOM, The wife comes out and says what the hell was that, and at that time I was feeling to see if I had everything attached that I went out there with! It's fast and it doesn't take much at all. I hate even starting my propane hot water heater, I just do not trust gas!

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Here in Massachusetts you cannot do propane yourself, it has to be the company installing the tank/lines first then the fire department checks the tank for location, then the plumbing inspector checks the lines from the tank to the appliance.. Like I said, do not do this yourself. Is it easy? Sure if you've worked with gas before but you need to know what you are doing in the first place.. It is dangerous as I outlined.
I know this will sound dumb, but I had a hornets nest in my propane Webber barbeque grill and when I opened the top up is was covered with bees. So I had this bright idea, shut the cover, get a fireplace match shove it inside the cover and turn on the propane.. Well, you know what happen next right? The cover blew off that thing so fast I didn't have time to blink! BOOM, The wife comes out and says what the hell was that, and at that time I was feeling to see if I had everything attached that I went out there with! It's fast and it doesn't take much at all. I hate even starting my propane hot water heater, I just do not trust gas!
:laugh:Wow! That sounds like more fun that seating the bead of tubeless tires with ether! A job that I enjoy very much. A close second is Oxy-acetylene balloons.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
:laugh:Wow! That sounds like more fun that seating the bead of tubeless tires with ether! A job that I enjoy very much. A close second is Oxy-acetylene balloons.
You brought up some old things that reminded me of my past! Thanks!! The first time I did the ether thing I had one fellow look at me like are you nuts! It works, especially on Wheelbarrow tubeless tires! It works better than a strap for sure and in a lot less time!,, Acetylene balloons a very close second! And here I am trying to discourage a propane heater install!!! You fill up a trash bag with acetylene and let her go with a lit rag hung from the bottom on a string and what a loud bang they make! Had the police come the last time we did such a thing.. What officer; we didn't hear anything!!! His response, and we won't hear it again right!!!!!! Darned construction guys! Always looking for a fun time to take the mind of other issues! quick hide the black remnants of the black bag! :laugh:

·
Registered
21,531 Posts
Here in Massachusetts you cannot do propane yourself, it has to be the company installing the tank/lines first then the fire department checks the tank for location, then the plumbing inspector checks the lines from the tank to the appliance.
Wow - that sounds expensive! Glad I don't live in/near a city....around here you hook it up and go - who is going to know anyhow?

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
Wow - that sounds expensive! Glad I don't live in/near a city....around here you hook it up and go - who is going to know anyhow?
We here in MA have a penchant for over-regulating everything. A couple years ago they wanted to make people that install/maintain swimming pools get a special "Swimming pool installer" license. :laugh:

But YOU will know if your house explodes. It happens. If it happens here in MA they can go after the plumber's insurance. If they find out you messed with it yourself your homeowner's policy may not pay out for any resulting damages. Same with installing your own woodstove.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
We here in MA have a penchant for over-regulating everything. A couple years ago they wanted to make people that install/maintain swimming pools get a special "Swimming pool installer" license. :laugh:

But YOU will know if your house explodes. It happens. If it happens here in MA they can go after the plumber's insurance. If they find out you messed with it yourself your homeowner's policy may not pay out for any resulting damages. Same with installing your own woodstove.
You said it Jim, In fact you do need a CSL (construction supervisors license) to install an in-ground pool. Above ground pools you are on your own! Woodstoves; yes CSL and maybe and HIC registration, you install it yourself, do not get a permit and an inspection and a fire happens, SOL, blow up your house with gas and you are screwed, Insurance companies and attorneys drive up regulations, and Mass is one that certainly lives up to that equation. The minutia that is out there with laws is stifling! I have no idea how we as inspectors keep up with everything. (we rely on our other inspectors in our offices to help out) Do we want to stick people with all these laws? Some yes, all of them no. I see no reason in the world we cannot do plumbing as a homeowner, but in Mass you cannot even change a faucet legally.. You can burn your house down by doing electrical but don't you dare sweat a copper pipe,,, Or big brother will getcha! The thing that really has me PO'd are these new energy codes! I have no idea where we are headed with this. MGL says we "shall" change the codes every three years. Okay I understand old homes are drafty to say the least but the new homes!!! How far are we going to go with this? Right now there are insulators who do not get the code at all and when the walls in your new energy efficient home start to burp mold because the airtight boxes are not so airtight because they are installed wrong where are the homeowners going to drop off their house keys? On our desks because we didn't babysit the contractors? If I wasn't still working I would not be here in this state for sure. New Mexico or Arizona we are a commin! Hope they don't have laws like we have here. I want to look at a ventana instead of snow!

·
Registered
21,531 Posts
Jim and Jeff - I guess I can understand some of the regulations but some just seem so extreme to me. Yes, living where I do I know I loose touch with what is going on out there in the world, but wow - 3 different people/entities to inspect a portable gas heater is just crazy - and a faucet?

As far as installation of anything goes there is no such thing as a licencened plumber - from what I've seen except for one professional outfit I am better off doing things by myself. I do belive there are some licencened electricians but would have to get one to come from either 25 or 65 miles away.

Life in the boonies - wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Please don't fill plastic garbage bags with acetylene. I knew a welder friend at work did it. Static electricity set it off. The blast blew out his ear drums and caused permanent hearing damage and the plastic shrapnel from the bag went right threw his jeans and into his legs. As fun as it sounds it's not really that much fun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is a Mr Heater Hero forced air propane model. I looked at the manual and it shows the regulator supports min 5 psi, but doesn't list what it supplies. (I assume maybe 5 psi)

I think I will just keep using the 20 lb bottle at this point in time.

Cheers,

Since he mentioned using a portable tank I presumed he meant one of their torpedo style heaters. I looked on their WWW site and those (except for the "Hero" model) all say 10-20 PSI range for the regulator output.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the replies. I had no appreciation for the fact that each regulator has different ratings as I assumed that they were all at the same pressure.

I think I will just keep using the 20 lb tank.

I am curious though as I guess a BBQ works at .5 PSI as they sell the quick connect hose for the connector in the garage and it has no regulator?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts