1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
sstlaure, I really like that chain. Easy to find when you drop it in a field someplace.
I'd buy two 10 ft lengths and call it a day. Grab hook on one end, slip hook on the other end.

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
sstlaure, I really like that chain. Easy to find when you drop it in a field someplace.
I'd buy two 10 ft lengths and call it a day. Grab hook on one end, slip hook on the other end.
Or you could get Kenny's new Twist Lock hooks. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
Lowes also has a great deal on the gold colored 5/16" grade 70 "transport" chain in 20' lengths. Cut it in half and add the hooks of your choice.

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Lowes also has a great deal on the gold colored 5/16" grade 70 "transport" chain in 20' lengths. Cut it in half and add the hooks of your choice.
I need to get me some of those chains. And maybe some of your hooks.:drinks:

I really like having quality tie-down and rigging hardware when I need it.:good2:

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slip hook on one end so the chain with cinch up on an object?

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow - that is a good deal - $36.98 for 20ft of chain and (2) grab hooks. Even without the hooks that's only $1.85/ft and you're getting (2) $10 hooks as well for free. Only need the (2) slip hooks at $12 ea. I can paint it orange for visibility myself. That will get the job done just fine. That's 1/2 price compared to the orange chain and buying the 4 hooks separate.

Shop Campbell Commercial 20-ft Welded Yellow Chromate Steel Chain at Lowes.com

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I really like having quality tie-down and rigging hardware when I need it.:good2:
I bought myself four 8' sections of grade 70, one 20' piece of Grade 70, 4 load binders, and a persuader bar about 7 years ago and it was some of the best 400$ i've ever spent - so reassuring to know that things are cinched down nice and secure.

-J

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Slip hook on one end so the chain with cinch up on an object?
Yepper. Truth be known I also keep a 3-4 foot section in the ballast box with one grab hook the size of the chain and one slip hook that is the next size bigger than the chain size. The bigger slip hooks will slip a whole lot easier.

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
Wow - that is a good deal - $36.98 for 20ft of chain and (2) grab hooks. Even without the hooks that's only $1.85/ft and you're getting (2) $10 hooks as well for free. Only need the (2) slip hooks at $12 ea. I can paint it orange for visibility myself. That will get the job done just fine. That's 1/2 price compared to the orange chain and buying the 4 hooks separate.

Shop Campbell Commercial 20-ft Welded Yellow Chromate Steel Chain at Lowes.com
Not it to be pushy, but those $12 slip hooks probably have the stupid useless stamped metal latches that quickly fail, be sure to check out the new twist lock ones I'm selling for only $3 more.

·
Registered
716 Posts
That is what I did, on Kenny's suggestion. Works good for me. I have never wanted for more chain for what I have been doing.

Lee

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not it to be pushy, but those $12 slip hooks probably have the stupid useless stamped metal latches that quickly fail, be sure to check out the new twist lock ones I'm selling for only $3 more.
I really like those twist lock hooks Ken. Have you shipped out my bolt-on hooks yet? Can I get them in the same box to save on shipping? I just don't necessarily want to spend another $12 on shipping and wasn't even thinking about the chain, etc. when I ordered my hooks.

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
I really like those twist lock hooks Ken. Have you shipped out my bolt-on hooks yet? Can I get them in the same box to save on shipping? I just don't necessarily want to spend another $12 on shipping and wasn't even thinking about the chain, etc. when I ordered my hooks.
Yes, your order shipped-you'd should have gotten the email from the USPS. The slip/grab hooks can fit into a small flat rate box, so I can refund $6 shipping if you place the order.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, your order shipped-you'd should have gotten the email from the USPS. The slip/grab hooks can fit into a small flat rate box, so I can refund $6 shipping if you place the order.
I think I may have some slip hooks in my mess of a garage (was thinking about it this morning) I'll let you know - thanks (and I did check my email showing the hooks went out Monday

goody-goody-goody-goody-goody-goody-goody-goody-goody-goody-goody-

Thanks. I'll have time to get them all painted and pretty before I even have the tractor:thumbup1gif: That's good as I plan to move a TON of cedar stumps that first weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So went to Lowe's intending to pick up the 20ft chain/hook combo and cut it, then paint orange.......but instead I found 12' lengths of the nice orange 5/16" chain w/grab hooks at both ends for $33 each (couldn't find them on their website but they were labelled as tow chains - 3900 lb load limit)

Still looking for the slip hooks that are here somewhere amongst the chaos.

Picked up the JD Green paint on the way home from work as well.

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
FYI, so what you have is Grade 40 chain:
Chain WLL1.jpg

It should work well for your machine.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great info - thanks Ken.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts