Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking for some sort of app that I can use to connect 2 points. Basically, I want to drop 2 "pins" at 2 property markers and have a line drawn on google earth view. It doesn't need to be super accurate, whatever the accuracy of the phone is would be fine. I tried messing around with google maps on my Iphone but couldn't find anything.

The line is about 1500'.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I had a guy out here that I was talking to about using a forestry mulcher on our land. He had an app called "LandGlide" that gave him a pretty good idea where the property lines were. I'm not quite sure that's what you're looking for though.

It sounds like you want to superimpose a property line on GoogleMaps, presumably so you can see from the aerial view if someone is encroaching on the line. You might want to see if your county has a GIS system available to you. Our County Auditor has their GIS mapping system tied to the property tax system. You can see the aerial views with the lines already imposed on them. Pretty cool stuff... BUT.... While this can give you a pretty good idea of where things sit on the property, it's no substitute for having a good surveyor mark the line. On our county site, it looked like the neighbor was expanding his driveway over our property line. After the surveyors came out, turns out that he was a good 20' away.

I'm sure that ColonyPark can weigh in with better info.

Also, if my assumption of what you're trying to accomplish is incorrect, please let us know.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
I had a guy out here that I was talking to about using a forestry mulcher on our land. He had an app called "LandGlide" that gave him a pretty good idea where the property lines were. I'm not quite sure that's what you're looking for though.

It sounds like you want to superimpose a property line on GoogleMaps, presumably so you can see from the aerial view if someone is encroaching on the line. You might want to see if your county has a GIS system available to you. Our County Auditor has their GIS mapping system tied to the property tax system. You can see the aerial views with the lines already imposed on them. Pretty cool stuff... BUT.... While this can give you a pretty good idea of where things sit on the property, it's no substitute for having a good surveyor mark the line. On our county site, it looked like the neighbor was expanding his driveway over our property line. After the surveyors came out, turns out that he was a good 20' away.

I'm sure that ColonyPark can weigh in with better info.

Also, if my assumption of what you're trying to accomplish is incorrect, please let us know.
Our county has this also but they are quick to tell you the are reference lines only to be used as a guide.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Measure Distance feature on Google Maps

There's a pop up menu on Google Maps - click with the right mouse button - the last item is "Measure Distance". Right click on the starting point and select "Measure Distance". Then click on the segment endpoint and the distance will be displayed towards the bottom of the window. Additional clicks will result in new segments, each with the length displayed and the total length displayed. If the last click is on the origin, the enclosed area will also be calculated and displayed.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 7.58.16 PM.png

Zooming in will give more accuracy.

I think this also works on mobile devices, but you might have to use the website instead of the app.

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Google earth Pro is what I used for my job. Free download.

Had drawing features not found in Google Maps.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If the ground is semi flat....I used a huge role of hay string for my 1400' line.

lots of tree trimming and 500' elevation change...had to hang weights in places.

on the ground work...not digifal.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the great feedback! I never thought of the measuring idea on google maps, I did see that on my phone. I will give that a try. I may also download google Pro.

Again, I'm just wanting a rough idea were I am on one side of my property. It's all woods and is difficult to tell were the line even approx is.

The GIS for my area doesn't support google earth view for some reason, not sure why. A message pops up stating this when I click on the icon.

Thank you all again you've given me some great ideas.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Can you use something like the John Deere mower plus app and get on the edge of your property then click mow and walk around the outside edge of your property?

·
Registered
346 Posts
can't remember where I found it or where I read it, but at a certain level of I-phones and I expect other phones, they use both the usa gps satellites and russian gps system, the accuracy is less than a foot, so I would think if you get the gps locations in your phone, and then use one of the apps, you should get it pretty close.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Can you use something like the John Deere mower plus app and get on the edge of your property then click mow and walk around the outside edge of your property?
Another supporter of Google Earth Pro.

When I used the John Deere mower plus app, I did not find it to be very accurate. After mowing, the app always showed that I had mowed the roof on my house & very little of my yard.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
To throw another idea out there, there are several hunting apps that show property lines on a map that also shows your GPS position. I use https://huntstand.com/. I don't remember how many, but it gives you a handful of parcel lookups for free.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am a land surveyor and have been licensed since 1992. Sometimes these self help threads scare me a little. Nothing wrong with what the OP is asking.

Drawing a line in google earth will do what you want but you have to know where the line starts and ends from a survey.

You also might get on your GIS and try again. Sometimes there are layers that need to be turned on to get the photo to show up. As all ready mentioned the accuracy of the property lines is questionable.

There is no phone app that will get you within a foot. As a rule GPS on a phone will get you within 30 feet. Sometimes better but sometimes not. There are systems that will get you within a foot such as ag systems for auto steer. Also keep in mind GPS degrades in the trees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love Google Earth Pro

Hi all,

I'm looking for some sort of app that I can use to connect 2 points. Basically, I want to drop 2 "pins" at 2 property markers and have a line drawn on google earth view. It doesn't need to be super accurate, whatever the accuracy of the phone is would be fine. I tried messing around with google maps on my Iphone but couldn't find anything.

The line is about 1500'.
I did a lot of work with Google Earth Pro when is was teaching science. Google has downloads for both Mac and PC. I used it a lot when buying some property. You could easily draw property lines and calculate area. Another cool feature is to look back in time to see how the property has changed. Look for the clock with a green arrow in the tool bar at the top of the main window.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Google earth pro

I use Google Earth Pro for most of that type thing but something like ARC GIS is really designed for it. I think you can still get a free download of a stripped down version.

For more precise distances, you can use a laser range finder up to 1,000 yards or so depending on the model. If you set up a target they are more accurate than just trying to use a tree or other "fuzzy" background. You have to have a clear sight line for those. For going through woods, my foresters use string and a hip box: Hip Chain Distance Measurer, Metric | Forestry Suppliers, Inc.

With a hip chain, a good compass and a solid starting point you can do pretty well on Google Earth Pro. It's not as good as a good surveyor but I've come closer using those tools than a lousy surveyor did. The owners of the adjoining property hired a licensed jackleg and he was terrible. He could draw a plat and run a line but the plat and the line didn't resemble each other. We proved where the line should be, fired that surveyor and got one who was also licensed but pretty good. We were off less than a foot from the second surveyor's line points.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
346 Posts
can't remember where I found it or where I read it, but at a certain level of I-phones and I expect other phones, they use both the usa gps satellites and russian gps system, the accuracy is less than a foot, so I would think if you get the gps locations in your phone, and then use one of the apps, you should get it pretty close.
not the original one I read but this one says within 3.3 ft.

Your GPS is about to become way more accurate | Cult of Mac

·
Registered
346 Posts
not the original one I read but this one says within 3.3 ft.

Your GPS is about to become way more accurate | Cult of Mac

another one but still can't find the original

GPS will be accurate within one foot in some phones next year - The Verge

·
Registered
411 Posts
I believe there are 4 GPS constellations available now. The US, which is GPS, the Russians which is Glonass, the Galileo which is the Europeans system and BeiDuo which is the Chinese system. Our new GPS system we just got a few months ago tracks them all.

Our system is accurate to about 1/2 inch depending on conditions. The key to the accuracy is getting corrections from a base set on a known point. We can do this by using a cell phone link dialing into a system run by the GPS company or set up our own base. For reference our new system which has two units and a 35 watt radio was about $46,000.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts