Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I’m hoping to gain some insight and wisdom from the users here; I have a few questions.

Please bare with me; I know I’m seriously unversed when it comes to tractors.
( I’ve only had 3 years experience with operating a CAT 216B skid-steer. )

1. Can anyone tell me which, if any backhoe attachments are available for the 5 series? If so, are they operable from inside the cab?

2. I’m wanting to do a significant amount of landscape work along with stable bedding, veg / row crop, some small square bales, I must note the landscape work on ground that ranges from clay to a reddish soil type, and typical lawned/flower bed garden soil too.

I’ve estimated ideal lifting capacity with the loader to be up to 800kg per load to maximise efficiency of handling the stable bedding materials and or any other materials.

Is grading and levelling clay and similar hard ground going to be too strenuous on the typical loaders as supposed to a TLB/backhoe loader?

What would be the advisable HP for this range of work , I’m also trying to work out the appropriate considerations regarding the PTO.
I see the 540e pto option would reduce fuel costs. But how does one determine the appropriate mower, tiller, wood splitter/chipper etc.

Oh I guess I should include, context is a 10acre coastal small holding with a lot of the land on a incline of up to 30° in some areas. Im thinking a flex-wing mowers might be appropriate?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Hi Everyone, I’m hoping to gain some insight and wisdom from the users here; I have a few questions.

Please bare with me; I know I’m seriously unversed when it comes to tractors.
( I’ve only had 3 years experience with operating a CAT 216B skid-steer. )

1. Can anyone tell me which, if any backhoe attachments are available for the 5 series? If so, are they operable from inside the cab?

2. I’m wanting to do a significant amount of landscape work along with stable bedding, veg / row crop, some small square bales, I must note the landscape work on ground that ranges from clay to a reddish soil type, and typical lawned/flower bed garden soil too.

I’ve estimated ideal lifting capacity with the loader to be up to 800kg per load to maximise efficiency of handling the stable bedding materials and or any other materials.

Is grading and levelling clay and similar hard ground going to be too strenuous on the typical loaders as supposed to a TLB/backhoe loader?

What would be the advisable HP for this range of work , I’m also trying to work out the appropriate considerations regarding the PTO.
I see the 540e pto option would reduce fuel costs. But how does one determine the appropriate mower, tiller, wood splitter/chipper etc.

Oh I guess I should include, context is a 10acre coastal small holding with a lot of the land on a incline of up to 30° in some areas. Im thinking a flex-wing mowers might be appropriate?

Thanks in advance!
Which 5 series are you considering? 5D, 5e, 5M, older 5X10, 5X20, 5X25 series?

There are backhoes available, from Deere and others, but not for in cab use that I know of.

If you are comparing to a Construction TLB, there will be no comparison, a construction TLB probably weighs twice as much and weight is your friend when working dirt.

The ePTO is great for a mower that you have more than enough PTO HP for, but if your flex wing mower needs all or most of your PTO HP, ePTO will not have enough HP. For the tiller you will also need full PTO HP. A chipper and post hole digger would run on ePTO. A log splitter would only use your hydraulics, unless you are considering a PTO driven hydraulic pump. Manufactures will list required HP for their equipment. One "rule of thumb" for mowers 5HP per foot of cut width.

For 30° slopes, I would want MFWD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank Zebrafive, this is great direction and food for thought to narrow it down...

Well, I was thinking maybe 5E... The 5Rs (5090R & 5125R 's shown on youtube) are how I came to discover the 5 series.
Though I'm thinking even a 5090R might be over-kill?

I'm beginning to think that's really where my hang up is, identifying which PTO option and the associated HP is appropriate.

But at least with that ''rule of thumb'' i can now estimate and watch for options that are close to the estimate HP.

Glad to see i was on the right track thinking MFWD.

Perhaps, I'm just too new to these finer details.

Thanks again Zebrafive

·
Registered
70 Posts
I Just found the JD 595 backhoe for the 5 series. (just ask google you will find it then) :good2:

regarding your question if you can operate the backhoe from inside the cab, I think the same like Zebrafive. The only way in my opinion is a modification, maybe you ask your local JD dealer if they can build what you need...

Reactions: Georgia_Johndeere

·
Registered
389 Posts
I Just found the JD 595 backhoe for the 5 series. (just ask google you will find it then) :good2:

regarding your question if you can operate the backhoe from inside the cab, I think the same like Zebrafive. The only way in my opinion is a modification, maybe you ask your local JD dealer if they can build what you need...
The way the utility and compact utility cabs are built, there is no way to allow the seat to turn around and have access to the controls for the backhoe. I know it sucks to have that nice air-conditioned / heated cab literally inches away from where you would be seated on the backhoe and not be able to be in it. :banghead::banghead::dunno:

Jeff

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Registered
352 Posts
Grading and leveling hard ground with a tractor (front end loader and/box blade) is not nearly as easy or quick as with a Bobcat in my experience...I am mostly in a red clay area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts