Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I thought I would share my experience with the ProWorks Grapple. I purchased the grapple because of price and availability. We are harvesting and there are hundreds of tree limbs to move into a burn pile.
This grapple is not up for the job and the metal just bends under the hydraulic pressure from the JD 3039r.
A44FD6C2-8008-4C8A-9915-00B2C6F7FA37.jpeg C4E54E95-2213-41AE-987B-1EC5E3F93431.jpeg

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
well, that's disappointing!

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
Have you considered inserting a relief valve into the lines that would provide enough grip for the intended use but bypass fluid prior to bending steel?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
That's upsetting to say the least. Have you contacted the company? I also suppose that when the company tells you there's nothing they can do you might as well straighten those teeth and weld some 1/2" plate to the side of them. What a mess.

Reactions: DanW

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Have you considered inserting a relief valve into the lines that would provide enough grip for the intended use but bypass fluid prior to bending steel?
He shouldn't have to reduce the capabilities just because the grapple was poorly designed. Look at the bottom teeth and you don't see any bending because they are supported right up to the tip. The area where the upper teeth are bending has no support at the ends hence the bending.

·
Registered
901 Posts
That could be mild steel they used instead of heat treated. My WR Long grapple is built like a tank and I've moved rocks and tree trunks that weighed several hundreds of pounds with no drama. I did bend one of the plate 'fingers' but that was operator error - I was in 4 wheel drive and drove forward to roll the grapple over a large stump. I pushed the plate into the trunk.

Reactions: X758er

·
Registered
559 Posts
That is a cheesy looking design from the get go. Check out the non greasable pivots!

This eBay listing says it's a ProWorks but the design looks more like the MTL.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a cheesy looking design from the get go. Check out the non greasable pivots!

This eBay listing says it's a ProWorks but the design looks more like the MTL.
I agree, definitely won’t buy a ProWorks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's upsetting to say the least. Have you contacted the company? I also suppose that when the company tells you there's nothing they can do you might as well straighten those teeth and weld some 1/2" plate to the side of them. What a mess.
That’s what I thought of doing, thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Also, you can bend them back using a large pipe wrench. After that add some 3/8" support to the sides and you're all set for the next 20 years. Other than the problem area and no grease points it looks like a decent grapple, so I wouldn't regret buying it. Besides, fixing problems is half the fun.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
you've got too much hydraulics on this lighter weight grapple. Your price and quality collided with your desire to have a quality tool and price and low quality won out. You can refab this and add strenght. I too looked at these and passed....consulted a friend and he said that pro works was American $hit....but there is a good market for these if you don't use them on heavy tractors or heavy items...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts