Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get tired of constantly bending cheap Harbor Freight 9" & 12" pruning blades with my reciprocating saw. Most of my pruning is on palm trees, with occasional oak branches and stump roots. I want a stiffer blade, but I don't think carbide teeth would be aggressive enough or cost-effective. I've never tried those, though.

What blades do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
Diablo!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
Yup
Diablo

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I don't care what brand of blade you use, it the base/shoe of the saw is too far away from what your cutting, the blade will bend! Keep the shoe as tight as you can against the limb... or board or....! Bob

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great recommendations -- Thanks!
(I know know about the "technique" issues, but reaching between palm fronds limits options quite a bit. I need better blades in addition to better skills!)

·
RIP
1,225 Posts
Having used a "Sawzall" professionally as a carpenter for 40 years I will contribute this. In the olden days the saws all had about 3/4" to 7/8" of travel. Today the manufacturers all push the "super" sawzalls which have an 11/8" or more of travel. That difference is huge, especially when it comes to this very topic. It ain't the blade, it's the operator and the length of travel. I gave away the super and sought out the old base model Milwaukee ( https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/SAWZALL-Reciprocating-Saws/SAWZALLS/6509-3) with the short travel when I bought new ones. You can make remarkably fine accurate cuts with a good sawzall and a lot of practice but the long throw saws make that extremely difficult. Good open tooth blades from almost any manufacturer, personally I bought Milwaukee blades and as they dulled they were relegated to nail filled wood and then plaster. My favorite and available almost no where is. 6" 4/6 TPI SAWZALL® Blades (5 Pk)
this will do any thing and aggressively, my second choice is longer but I can't find a link.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I like the Diablo pruning blades but I think I like Bosch Edge Swiss-made blades even better. A bit tougher to find but my local hardware/ag store has them along with Lenox and about every other blade known to man and woman.

The collet of my old Sawzall is wearing out and the blades don't stay in so it's time to look at upgrading to a battery tool I think.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The collet of my old Sawzall is wearing out and the blades don't stay in so it's time to look at upgrading to a battery tool I think.
Yes, it is. I use my cordless saw MUCH more often that I ever used the corded one. Just grab and go...
(I'll check out the Bosch blades as well as the Diablos.)

Reactions: Rule292

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yes, it is. I use my cordless saw MUCH more often that I ever used the corded one. Just grab and go...
(I'll check out the Bosch blades as well as the Diablos.)
My pusher has a buy 2 DeWalt bare tools and get the battery packs and chargers for no extra charge next month.... Most everything in the store on sale except for... Stihl of course. They do have a regular "buy 2 get 3rd for free" deal on OEM Stihl chains as well as a 2% discount for check/cash.

Your thread reminded me to pick up some blades so I picked up 2 of the Bosch blades tonight. (y)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is one of those mini chainsaws out of the question? I've been eyeing that M12 Hatchet and it seems pretty handy for its own little niche use.
I've got a M12 hatchet and love it! I use it for everything. Easy to use with one hand and will cut through 3 and 4 inch logs pretty quick. Even used it in my canoe going down the creek behind my house to clear the banks.
James

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.