Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of product to seal prunned tree branches... Ortho stopped making theirs in 1985 they told me.

I was thinking about using a roof repair tar but it might kill the tree... Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Does anyone know of product to seal prunned tree branches... Ortho stopped making theirs in 1985 they told me.

I was thinking about using a roof repair tar but it might kill the tree... Thanks

We have a Horticulturist (sp?) that does a Saturday AM Radio show (Shameless plug that I have no relationship with) The "Ken Brown Show" that airs on AM 930 out of Buffalo NY (WBEN.com) on Saturday's, 11-Noon. His suggestion on repeated calls on this subject has been to 'cut close to the truck' and let nature take it's course, with no sealant. He seems to claim that the supposed 'sealant' can trap water, and bugs get in and reak havoc and you're just better off to 'cut clean', and walk away! I'm just passing on what I heard, no warrentee expressed, or implied!:laugh: ~Scotty

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scotty370, I've did some checking today and found the same answer a few times so it must be good information... I guess I'll do nothing. I made the cut on an angle with a sharp chain so I guess I'm good to go the way it is :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Yeah- I've heard him say time and time again that the sealant makes the gardener feel better than the tree! ~S

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
If the cut is above the 6' level, I leave it alone. If below, it gets spray-on undercoating stuff. I've seen too many trees that got nicked, especially at the base, where and or other critters got in there and 5 years later the tree is in trouble. You better like the tree because you need to re-spray the base every year or two to keep it sealed.

I had a white oak topped 18 years ago, no sealing, it's doing fine. Have also had pine trees topped and left as is with no problems.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts