Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't weld a lot, so I still have to go through all of the checks when I do. Today I was welding and grinding. Since I have a cheater lens in my welding helmet, I was using it in grind mode to "dress up" :laugh: some welds. I took a break and when I went back to welding, I found myself staring right at an arc without any shade. I've been flashed before, so I know what it's like, between low power for 16 gauge metal and luck I'm fine and not hurting tonight. After that I just went to switching between my helmet and face shield. I've got the time and it keeps me safer.

If you are going to use grind mode on you autodarkening helmet, please be diligent about switching it to weld mode when welding.

TLDR: I left my welding helmet in grind mode, struck an arc and stared right at it. Don't be a dummy like me.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've got an auto Helmet...did not know it may have a Grind mode...

Lesson of the day...

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I've got an auto Helmet...did not know it may have a Grind mode...

Lesson of the day...

:cheers:
Bubber has a very nice helmet apparently.:good2:

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
Bubber has a very nice helmet apparently.:good2:
The feature is quite common. My 6-year old $49 auto-darkening helmet has a grind setting.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
My elcheapo from Harbor Freight has that function too. I use it every time I weld, so I can use a grinder to "fix" my welds :)

But I think you might be overthinking this a bit. Flash burns to your eyes come from UV light emitted by the arc. The UV filtering on these helmets is permanent and not something that adjusts or turns off. It's there whether you have it fully dark or on grind mode. The darkening is just throttling visible light, making it so you can see what you're doing, like sunglasses while driving.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I don't recall mine having a "grind" mode. It does, however, have an automatic power down inactivity timer. I've flashed myself on more than one occasion when the timer has expired.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I don’t grind with my welding helmet on. I just use shaded safety glasses

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My Miller has it, but Ive never used it. I always just take it off and use safety glasses. Then again, I usually do quite a bit of welding, then quite a bit of grinding (if necessary) or vice-versa, so Im not switching back and forth.
Heck, Id have to take the helmet off to get to the switch anyway, so might as well just leave it be and grab the glasses!

My favorite is when the batteries start to get low, and it doesnt darken like its supposed to.
Leaves me wondering if I have spares or not while Im waiting to be able to see again!

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
My helmet is auto darkening, solar powered. If I don’t leave it in the sun for a few minutes it doesn’t darken very fast at all. After a few seconds the light from the welder charges it.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
I usually just squint or use safety glasses if there handy. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My elcheapo from Harbor Freight has that function too. I use it every time I weld, so I can use a grinder to "fix" my welds :)

But I think you might be overthinking this a bit. Flash burns to your eyes come from UV light emitted by the arc. The UV filtering on these helmets is permanent and not something that adjusts or turns off. It's there whether you have it fully dark or on grind mode. The darkening is just throttling visible light, making it so you can see what you're doing, like sunglasses while driving.
This is the correct answer. If you are looking through it, you'll be fine, seeing spots, but fine. (y) I later read up more on this and didn't think to come back here and update. Thanks for bringing it up.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Interesting. I didn’t know this, Depends on what I am doing what shade I use but if what your saying is true and I have no doubt it is. Does this mean you could weld on shade 7 without eye damage? Doesn’t seem right.

It kind of negates the old wise tale that auto helmets were not As safe as regular helmets because of the milliseconds it took them to darken.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Well of course starting at a bright light isn't healthy either. Flash blindness is thing as we all know from cameras and spotlights. But the difference is significant. A quick flash of full spectrum unfiltered UV light from an arc welder will burn your eyes causing an actual injury that takes time to heal. With the UV filtered out (as in helmet on) but not setting the auto-darken, you just get temporary flash blindness and see spots for a while. Like taking a spotlight to the face at night. Prolonged exposure, like if you keep staring at it, I think can cause more permanent damage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts