Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone educate me about the durability of the pto systems in the smaller tractors? Specifically, is there a difference in the 1 vs 2 series? Horror stories?
Sky Wheel Vehicle Tire Tractor

I ran my 7 foot flail behind a 1025r and it didn’t seem stressed as long as she too hurry.
My next challenge would be to run my Progessive 120 pull type. Since my 4720 grunts to get it started, I fear a smaller tractor would crap out early if I got it to work at all.
I’m not replacing the 4720, just looking to add a capable but smaller tractor to the barn. Sky Wheel Vehicle Tire Tractor

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
The starting is gonna put a whoppin on the pto clutch.

If it were a gear drive you could ease into it.

On my 955 when running something big or too big.
I bump the pto lever in and out quick just to get things spinning a bit ,then put it back in.
Otherwise it will grunt and nearly die when at near idle.

I doo all at near idle.......on any big implements I use an over running clutch so I don't fry the pto brake when disengaging pto

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whether electric or manual, there’s mass to get moving. I grew up with manual clutching PTOs and a grandpa that came across the yard to remind me as a 4 year old not to disengage the mower deck more than I have to due to belt wear.
Anybody run a sileage bagger? I stalled an Allis Chalmers XT 190 one time. After clearing what I could by hand, I still took a lot off the clutch getting that plug cleared!

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Not a horror story but.
There have been a few cases of the pto clucth/brake.Failures..Yes it is one unit.

Heres the dealio.....Its one complex unit ...not a simple disk like a motorcycle clutch.

Comes as a complete package clucth/Brake...its exspensive...about 700 ish plus install iirc.

A guy or two here may share more info.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think I might have read a few of those threads. Got me thinking though. I never considered the PTO brake. So I would always engage my MMM at idle, but would disengage at higher RPMs. Now, I try to do both at idle, but what about the reverse override switch. It is designed to turn off the PTO, and most likely at high RPMs. One more reason to disable that switch in my opinion. Who is realistically going to idle down, disengage PTO, back up, engage PTO, idle back up, and repeat? Pressing the button each time has its own issues.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Yea - I'm one of the 1025R that have had a PTO brake failure. Whole PTO assembly was replaced under warranty. Usually tried to take care of it, but more time than I can count have a killed the PTO with the RIO at WOT mowing. I've disabled that RIO at this point, initially with the clothes pin, now a zip tie on the switch and when running. my chipper it's very obvious the load the flywheel puts on the brake with an overrun clutch. even when slowly reducing throttle with it spinning 540 back there, that OR is doing it job well. When shutting off the PTO at idle, the OR clicks for several seconds as it spins down.

Here's a pic of what I found in my sump...
Vertebrate Textile Sleeve Mammal Pattern

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't have any 3 pt PTO implements yet, but that overrunning clutch is something to consider for sure.
For disengaging, this will work. But for engaging, an OR clutch will not help.
But I wonder if a tuned "slip clutch" could help.... it could slip slightly initially when the implement is at 0 speed.... Once it starts accelerating, the Slip Clutch would lock up.
But that tuning would be tricky to achieve.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts