Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is the start of the 4th year for using my snowblower. I was able to attach it without problems for three years. This morning I had a problem. I had the driveshaft assembly and thought I would spray some WD-40 on the pto coupling that attaches to the mid pto. I pulled the coupling back to try to get the WD-40 to work it's magic. The coupling stayed back and did not return to the regular position and it won't move. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the coupling to return to the regular position? Thanks.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Well this is the start of the 4th year for using my snowblower. I was able to attach it without problems for three years. This morning I had a problem. I had the driveshaft assembly and thought I would spray some WD-40 on the pto coupling that attaches to the mid pto. I pulled the coupling back to try to get the WD-40 to work it's magic. The coupling stayed back and did not return to the regular position and it won't move. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the coupling to return to the regular position? Thanks.
Dang! I would try pulling it back or applying a little more pressure in the rearward direction first to see if it's just hung up on(?) dirt(?). Wonder if the spring tension failed? If so, then it would freely move in both directions(?). :unknown:

Reactions: bob

·
Administrator
20,889 Posts
Some PTO couplers require the shaft to be inserted before the collar will snap back into the locked position.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some PTO couplers require the shaft to be inserted before the collar will snap back into the locked position.
Jason.....I thought that I possibly could do what you wrote...but was afraid I might get the whole assembly attached and not be able to remove it from tractor. I have a call into my JD service manager to see what he says.

·
Registered
23,070 Posts
That's how mine works on my mower deck. It is designed to stay in the rearward (open) position for easy of installing on the PTO shaft. Once it gets to its installed point the ring will snap forward (closed).

One thing to try - I noticed this on mine - if your collar is in the rearward position (open) and you want to close it for some reason, pull back on the collar and give it a 1/4 twist (don't remember which direction) and it might close.

I don't understand why you want the coupler closed before you install it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coaltrain I don't understand why you want the coupler closed before you install it.[/QUOTE said:
Stan...I wasn't trying to install it. I was just trying to make sure everything worked easily when it got stuck in the closed position.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I feel your pain Bud, I HATE PTO couplers.

They're always in a position where the perfectly straight force you have to apply to them (in or out) is awkward as all hell - it really is a cuff tear waiting to happen. I'm filled with anxiety every time I have to change the damn things. Any little burr or piece of dirt gets them stuck. If you're using something that's light enough to spin by hand, you can try another notch, but try it on a 8' snowblower or 12' flail, and you're screwed!!!

My only suggestion for future is to wipe out the coupler and the PTO drive off, maybe hit it with some WD, and call me when your cuff tears.

-J.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
23,070 Posts
Stan...I wasn't trying to install it. I was just trying to make sure everything worked easily when it got stuck in the closed position.
Ok - understood - good to get some lubricant everywhere and check the operation.

Since have RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) now, I have a really hard time with connecting the PTO shaft for my mower. When I had it down and out from under the tractor, I noticed this - to get the coupler to lock/unlock when not installing/removing from the PTO shaft, that with a 1/4 turn of the collar I could make it engage or release.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jason...You were correct.....and the service tech confirmed it. The collar snaps back when inserted on the pto shaft. Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts