Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my 2038R to JD to have the rear selective control valve kit installed and they informed me that my PTOs (mid or rear) were not working. I have never has a need for the PTOs as I use my tractor for road work and spreading gravel. I'm sure the PTOs never worked as the indicator said the total PTO time was .1 hours. The indicator lights up on the switch and the dash shows the PTO is engaged and the PTO RPM but the shafts are not turning. Just my luck my tractor is out of warranty so the dealer charged me an hours time to diagnose the problem. The dealer could not figure out the problem in an hour so I had them stop. Has any one else had this problem on their tractor? I would like to fix this as I planned to get a mower in the future. Thanks for your help...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
44,872 Posts
I took my 2038R to JD to have the rear selective control valve kit installed and they informed me that my PTOs (mid or rear) were not working. I have never has a need for the PTOs as I use my tractor for road work and spreading gravel. I'm sure the PTOs never worked as the indicator said the total PTO time was .1 hours. The indicator lights up on the switch and the dash shows the PTO is engaged and the PTO RPM but the shafts are not turning. Just my luck my tractor is out of warranty so the dealer charged me an hours time to diagnose the problem. The dealer could not figure out the problem in an hour so I had them stop. Has any one else had this problem on their tractor? I would like to fix this as I planned to get a mower in the future. Thanks for your help...
You paid to have the selective control valve kit installed and the first hour to trouble shoot the PTO problem?
I'd call John Deere and/or find another dealer.

What model year tractor is it and how many hours on the tractor.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have a hard time believing your tractor is out of warranty already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tractors sold under commercial sales have reduced warranty periods IIRC, but otherwise I completely agree-no way the machine should be out of Deere’s newer 6 year warranty.

·
Super Moderator
6,825 Posts
Just my luck my tractor is out of warranty so the dealer charged me an hours time to diagnose the problem.
I thought the powertrain warranty on SCUTs/CUTs was 6 years/2000 hours as of 2017. The 2038R hasn't even been out for 6 years. I'd find it hard to believe you have over 2000 hours on your's.

Is the PTO not considered a part of the powertrain?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS for the replies... I talked to the salesman that sold me the tractor and the service writer and nobody mentioned the powertrain warranty. They only mentioned a 2 year warranty. This tractor only has 100 hours on it and it for personal use. I will definitely give the dealer a call. I bought the tractor in June of 2017.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
THANKS for the replies... I talked to the salesman that sold me the tractor and the service writer and nobody mentioned the powertrain warranty. They only mentioned a 2 year warranty. This tractor only has 100 hours on it and it for personal use. I will definitely give the dealer a call. I bought the tractor in June of 2017.

Please let us know how it goes and how they get this fixed for you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the PTO is working but my wallet is $800 lighter... I just lost faith in my dealer, Belkorp Ag. They charged me for 4-1/2 hours to diagnosis and replace a faulty PTO solenoid. Heck, Brian from Fit Rite Hydraulics told me over the phone that (the solenoid) was more than likely the problem. I thought JD was going to stand behind it even though the tractor is 2-1/2 years old. I'm going to make a phone call to John Deere Monday and see what they have to say...

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
Well, the PTO is working but my wallet is $800 lighter... I just lost faith in my dealer, Belkorp Ag. They charged me for 4-1/2 hours to diagnosis and replace a faulty PTO solenoid. Heck, Brian from Fit Rite Hydraulics told me over the phone that (the solenoid) was more than likely the problem. I thought JD was going to stand behind it even though the tractor is 2-1/2 years old. I'm going to make a phone call to John Deere Monday and see what they have to say...
I thought the newer tractors had a 6-year warranty?

Reactions: BWV

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
This doesn't seem right to me. That tractor should have warranty left.?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems this tractor has a 2 years full warranty and a 6 year powertrain warranty. The dealer claims that since this was an external part not the engine or transmission there is no warranty. I am going to call John Deere for clarification on Monday. The tractor just turned 100 hours today.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'd say the Power Take Off is definitely part of the Powertrain ... this is a tractor.. they are made as much for turning a PTO shaft as they are for turning the wheels.
Decent companies will sometimes make exceptions for customer satisfaction.
While I'm not so sure of your dealer, I do still believe Deere to be one of those.

Below is what's at the end of my owners manual... looks like you made it to step four... call the number.

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROBLEM RESOLUTION PROCESS

Your John Deere dealer is dedicated to supporting your equipment and resolving any problem you may experience.
1. When contacting your dealer, be prepared with the following information:
–Machine model and product identification number
–Date of purchase
–Nature of problem
2. Discuss problem with dealer service manager.
3. If unable to resolve, explain problem to dealership manager and request assistance.
4. If you have a persistent problem your dealership is unable to resolve, ask your dealer to contact John Deere for assistance. Or contact the Ag Customer Assistance Center at 1-866-99DEERE (866-993-3373) or e-mail us at www.deere.com/en_US/ag/contactus/.

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
I'd say the Power Take Off is definitely part of the Powertrain ... this is a tractor.. they are made as much for turning a PTO shaft as they are for turning the wheels.
Decent companies will sometimes make exceptions for customer satisfaction.
While I'm not so sure of your dealer, I do still believe Deere to be one of those.
I agree completely. The power train of a tractor has two purposes, to power the wheels and to power the PTO shafts. A power train warranty should cover everything related to the engine, center case and transaxle.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It seems this tractor has a 2 years full warranty and a 6 year powertrain warranty. The dealer claims that since this was an external part not the engine or transmission there is no warranty. I am going to call John Deere for clarification on Monday. The tractor just turned 100 hours today.
Your first call Monday morning should be to John Deere corporate. Then inform the dealer that a call to corporate has been made, and that you’ll be up his ass like a proctologist until you get your money back.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I believe the dealer is correct. Below is the information contained in the JD compact tractor warranty statement.

12) Compact Utility Tractors a) Powertrain on Compact Utility Tractors (components as per B below) 72months or 2000 hours, Whichever Comes First.

B.WHAT IS WARRANTED –All parts of any except tires and batteries (which are warranted under separate documents provided with each product), are warranted for the number of months or operating hours specified above. Warranty statements required by law covering engine emission-related parts and components, which shall not be less than the engine warranty, are found in the Operator’s Manual delivered with the Equipment. Included In Compact Utility Tractor Powertrain Warranty - Engine: cylinder block, cylinder head, valve covers, oil pan, timing gear covers, flywheel housing, emissions control components and all parts contained therein. Powertrain: transmission, transmission case, differential and axle housings, clutch housings, MFWD front axle assembly, and all parts contained therein (does not include external drivelines, dry clutch parts, or steering cylinders)

If the PTO solenoid is outside of the transmission case, it is not covered.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
13,683 Posts
While I agree with ChrisR's post it is more than obvious that the tractor PTO was inoperative even at the time of delivery.

Unfortunately the owner didn't know this as he doesn't have any PTO powered implements.

I would hope that JD Corporate will help out with this.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I believe the dealer is correct.

..... Powertrain: transmission, transmission case, differential and axle housings, clutch housings, MFWD front axle assembly, and all parts contained therein (does not include external drivelines, dry clutch parts, or steering cylinders)
I disagree. Nowhere I read does it disqualify a required part of the transmission because of its location on the tractor.
I read this as it covers the " transmission" AND it's case, housings etc...

I completely understand clutch discs (wear part) and external drivelines (PTO shafts are not a "part" of the transmission)

This part is required to make the transmission function as designed... It is part of the transmission.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.