Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know the proper names for the parts of the rear tiller. But when I installed my rear tiller on my tractor it was hard to install, had to spray WD40 on spline coming out of the tractor. The small ball bearings seamed stuck, but after spraying they freeded up, now wanting to remove the tiller can't get it to release. I have pulled the tiller away from the tractor now the driveline shaft is just hanging on to the tractor. I have tried to uninstall by compressing the spring loaded collar and pulling but not working. Any ideals???

·
Registered
23,316 Posts
It's basically going to take force at this point. Once you are absolutely sure the shaft collar is released, a chain and a tree come in handy.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Don't know the proper names for the parts of the rear tiller. But when I installed my rear tiller on my tractor it was hard to install, had to spray WD40 on spline coming out of the tractor. The small ball bearings seamed stuck, but after spraying they freeded up, now wanting to remove the tiller can't get it to release. I have pulled the tiller away from the tractor now the driveline shaft is just hanging on to the tractor. I have tried to uninstall by compressing the spring loaded collar and pulling but not working. Any ideals???
I'd recommend more WD40 or oil. This is very common for new PTO shafts. Keep at it, you'll get it. Then the more you use it the better it will get. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Not releasing

I'd recommend more WD40 or oil. This is very common for new PTO shafts. Keep at it, you'll get it. Then the more you use it the better it will get. Good luck.
I agree on the oil. Soak it good and try working the shaft in and out while holding the collar. If it's that tight, odds are the lock (balls) aren't releasing completely and or the shaft had paint on it. When you get it off, take some time and look at both the tractor side and the tiller side for paint, dirt or a rough machined spot. Clean or polish as necessary and it gets much better.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
15,084 Posts
Spray it with PB Blaster, or as others WD40. Then keep it sprayed fluid film ,WD40 anything just keep it sprayed. I need to do the same thing with my tiller.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
more oil and a slide hammer might help.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
97 Posts
Piranna Pi** also works well in these situations

At least that's what I think it's called - equal parts of Marvel Mystery Oil, brake fluid and transmission fluid. I was complaining about stuck bearings on the collar of my RC2048 rotary cutter and someone suggested liberally dousing the whole assembly with this stuff. At first I thought -- WTF?
But I've gotten so much great advice from this forum I thought I'd give it a try.
Mixed the stuff in a spray bottle, soaked the collar and then let it sit a half hour or so.
Stuck no more!
Now, I have a couple of bottles always around; useful whenever the usual options (WD-40, Parts Blaster, etc.) don't seem to work.
This stuff is so versatile, I think it would work with almost any situation where you need some extra lubrication.
Well, not ALL situations.
You know....

:yahoo:

·
Registered
770 Posts
It's normal for new couplers to be stubborn.

You have the tiller off, and the shaft dangling correct?

Use a Rubber or dead blow mallet, and while depressing the detent, give the knuckle a light smack or two inward.

Then check to see if it will free up a bit. Usually, it's just a bur or sharp edge, binding things up and it just takes a nudge, so don't give up easy.

Tap it around, inward, outward, just don't wail on it. It'll come off.
After some time with dirt in there, rounding things off, it will become easy on and off.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
equal parts of Marvel Mystery Oil, brake fluid and transmission fluid.
Sounds like a good combo to cut through crud but be careful as brake fluid can remove paint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fluid Film

There is an aerosol product called Fluid Film that works great for this type of application; it has a cleaning function that will foam dirt out of the area as well.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
one thing i did to free up a bander (dont ask) was put about 6 cups of gasoline in a bowl along with a splash of power service diesel anti-gel. seems like it works really well for freeing up 'stuff' (like the steering wheel on the tractor)

food for thought:cheers:

Reactions: 5304
1 - 12 of 12 Posts