Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever have any issues with this pto driveshaft? Universal joint seems fine, hard to check as it has a rubber sleeve over the universal. The front mount in the bearing and bracket keeps it still and in place, but the back end just sits on the output pto shaft. Theres alot of wobble up and down on it. When its spinning free, theres wobble but under load it tightens up. Anyone drill the back one and add set screws to keep it still?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
The shaft is either bent and/or extended to far.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Fist off from what I can see from the pic the u joints are out of time, that would cause vibration as they fight each other.Second I believe the lock collar end goes on the transmission end,like the mower connects.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Fist off from what I can see from the pic the u joints are out of time, that would cause vibration as they fight each other.Second I believe the lock collar end goes on the transmission end,like the mower connects.
Your crystal ball evidently isn't as cloudy as mine is because from viewing GreenMachineX495's photos I can't determine that u-joints are out of phase(time). Please elaborate.:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I had never run into U-joint timing before,, interesting.

I even found a very descriptive article,,,,
Drive shaft u-joint phasing(timing) is very important especially if u-joints are not operating completely straight. When u-joints are in any angle the driveshaft slightly changes revolution rpm's. Having pto shaft out of phase increases vibration & noise. Photo from your posted article shows how to check correct u-joint phasing(timing)

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. Theres only 1 u joint on the tractor driveshaft, There are 2 on the blower short driveshaft and they are "in time". The back connection on the output pto(where the mower deck attaches to) is a slip on and not a locking collar or anything, its held by the front bearing locked into the bracket. All that wobble on the output pto will eventually get worst. Wonder if I used the hole for the grease zerk on the back and made a locking set screw on it?
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I had never run into U-joint timing before,, interesting.

I even found a very descriptive article,,,,

Drive Shaft Timing: Is Your Roll Forming Mill in Time?
It's something that gets over looked and can cause all kinds of vibration and wears the u joint fast.
Your crystal ball evidently isn't as cloudy as mine is because from viewing GreenMachineX495's photos I can't determine that u-joints are out of phase(time). Please elaborate.:flag_of_truce:
Drive shaft u-joint phasing(timing) is very important especially if u-joints are not operating completely straight. When u-joints are in any angle the driveshaft slightly changes revolution rpm's. Having pto shaft out of phase increases vibration & noise. Photo from your posted article shows how to check correct u-joint phasing(timing)
Thanks for your replies. Theres only 1 u joint on the tractor driveshaft, There are 2 on the blower short driveshaft and they are "in time". The back connection on the output pto(where the mower deck attaches to) is a slip on and not a locking collar or anything, its held by the front bearing locked into the bracket. All that wobble on the output pto will eventually get worst. Wonder if I used the hole for the grease zerk on the back and made a locking set screw on it?
:cheers:
If you study the pics posted you'll see the first one the u joint end coming off the hanger is vertical (12 o'clock position).The second pic (you have to turn sideways) the u joint under the plastic wrap is off,the end going into the transmission is at a one o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock position.This will cause vibration.
On another note I think the shaft is backwards but I don't have instructions either.It would make sense to me that if there's a locking collar that it would go to the tranny end like the mower shaft.I know you have a 2wd but the 4wd shows the lock end at the tranny.:dunno:
https://www.greenpartstore.com/assets/images/instructions/2012/bm22560_installation_instructions.pdf

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's something that gets over looked and can cause all kinds of vibration and wears the u joint fast.

If you study the pics posted you'll see the first one the u joint end coming off the hanger is vertical (12 o'clock position).The second pic (you have to turn sideways) the u joint under the plastic wrap is off,the end going into the transmission is at a one o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock position.This will cause vibration.
On another note I think the shaft is backwards but I don't have instructions either.It would make sense to me that if there's a locking collar that it would go to the tranny end like the mower shaft.I know you have a 2wd but the 4wd shows the lock end at the tranny.:dunno:
https://www.greenpartstore.com/assets/images/instructions/2012/bm22560_installation_instructions.pdf
Ok, first pic you see in my post is the short driveshaft from the blower with the locking collar, connected to the front end of the main tractor drive shaft, the male end with the bearing and the bracket, you can see the yellow handle thats part of the bearing assembly, and the bracket its connected to, to the right, like it shows in the 3rd pic. The 3rd pic IS the driveshaft thats currently on my machine. 2nd pic is where it connects to the pto output at the back. Will add a pic of the new and old(shorter) small blower shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I learn something every day. I thought all tractors had the locking collar at the transaxle end but maybe not. Here is the 2WD correct manual I think. Hope it helps.
Thank you, I have seen this one too. Ill try getting a short vid of the play on the shaft, to see what the experienced tractor gearheads think.

:thumbup1gif:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts