Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 2210 directly from the JD shop with a major service complete (all filters, hoses, fluids, blades, etc) Supposedly a solid machine however I can't seem to get the PTO lever to move from the locked position to the unlocked positon. Local JD dealer says to shake the control arm to relieve pressure. No luck. Just won't move to the unlock position.

I can raise and lower the mowing deck and the rear PTO however I can't get the rear PTO to engage my new post hole attachment.

I appreciate your thoughts. Sam

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you mean by locked and unlocked. You should have a PTO selector lever along side the seat which selects Mid PTO / Mid+Rear PTO / Rear PTO. Then there should be a Push/Pull button on the dash which turns the selected PTO shaft(s) on. Neither of them has any type of lock that I can see.

2210_PTO.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Are you saying you can't select the rear PTO vs the the mid PTO or the switch won't engage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a pic of the level that is stuck. I think it is locked in Position "1".

john deere lock level.jpg

Here is a pic of the lever in question.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Here is a pic of the lever in question.
I believe that lever is the FEL lock lever.

Using Selective Control Valve (SCV) Lock Lever

MX17387a, LVU14536
Picture Note: SCV lock lever shown in the locked position.
· Move lock lever (A) to position (B) to allow SCV lever movement in all directions. Operation of the SCV is unlocked.
· Move lock lever (A) to position (C) to prohibit SCV lever movement in all directions. Operation of the SCV is locked.

2210 Operators Manual↓↓↓

OMLVU14461_G3

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
It looks like the SCV lock is stuck between unlock and lock. There was someone else on here recently with a similar problem. I suspect it is rusty. Give the SCV lock linkage and the SCV linkage itself a good spray of WD40, Fluid Film or something similar. Hopefully that will loosen up the SCV lock lever and SCV linkage. I'm surprised the dealer didn't see this during such an extensive service visit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gizmo2.

Are you thinking that I should be able to release the lock when I attach all four hydraulic hoses for the FEL?

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
Are you thinking that I should be able to release the lock when I attach all four hydraulic hoses for the FEL?
It has nothing to do with whether or not your hoses are hooked up. Does your loader joystick move freely in all four directions? If you wiggle it all around will the SCV lock lever move back to the unlocked position?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. Joystick is stuck in what I think is position "1"

The joystick moves however it does not engage in any of the 4 positions on the icon (however I hear the pump yawn when I push it to the far left, which is position "1"

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
I would guess the lock out lever and how it functions is all mechanical, have a look see.
Try to move the joystick while pushing the lock out lever to the unlock position.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
I would guess the lock out lever and how it functions is all mechanical, have a look see.
Try to move the joystick while pushing the lock out lever to the unlock position.
Give everything you can see a good shot of WD40 or similar, then wiggle the joystick around while trying to move the lock lever to the left, back to the unlock position. I suspect your in between positions. I can't seem to find the lock lever in the parts illustrations.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Give everything you can see a good shot of WD40 or similar, then wiggle the joystick around while trying to move the lock lever to the left, back to the unlock position. I suspect your in between positions. I can't seem to find the lock lever in the parts illustrations.
Me either. :dunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got er done!

As suggested, I gave her a shot or two to WD40 then a little ball pin love tap and it moved right over into the correct unlocked position. Tested joystick in all 4 positions and everything worked as it should. You guys are the best. MUCH appreciated. Sam

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
As suggested, I gave her a shot or two to WD40 then a little ball pin love tap and it moved right over into the correct unlocked position. Tested joystick in all 4 positions and everything worked as it should. You guys are the best. MUCH appreciated. Sam
Glad it worked out. Yes, that little lever can be a bear. I always leave it unlocked. That lever is a mechanical link to other linkage that goes into the transmission. You can take that metal plate it runs through off to get more access to it should you need too in the future. If the dealer gave it a big service and had the seat & fender/floor deck off they had to possibly remove it and they probably didn't re-install it correctly. I remember mine being a real PIA to deal with when I tore my tractor all apart.

Since this is a new to you 2210 a couple of things. Make sure you grease the drive shaft U joints every couple hundred hours. They tend to lose their grease over time and that can be catastrophic. Be aware of what you are driving over because the transmission cooling fan is made of plastic and likes to break off the blades if you hit ground debris. If you never run around in the woods you will probably be fine. Also some of the early 2210's had issues the with rear PTO cases leaking/cracking. Not sure what the cause or the fix was but I would engage that PTO at a very low RPM so you don't stress out that system with a sudden start. Other than that they are pretty tough little tractors. :greentractorride:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts