Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1025R with a 47" Blower

I read all the various threads about noise and shaking, but Ive not seen a lot of feedback of what was found to fix the issue. Ive changed the two bearings ( one was bad) and realigned the drive shaft and inspected all the joints for slop etc. and found nothing. It seems to go away if I pull it out of float and elevate the blower about a 1/2 inch (?) and the rattling goes away. I've tried RPM up and down but all that does is change the frequency of the rattle. I disconnected the mid mount shaft and ran it and that seem to make the noise go away or not as there's no load on the system.

What is going on that just moving the blower up slightly would affect the issue? Is there a chance the drive shaft is too long and riding into the mid mount pto output spline? Even though the drive shaft floats back and forth.

Dealer says bring it in and wait about 2 weeks for the current backlog before it can be looked at. This is not really an option I'd like to do as I like to fix what I use

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
Any chance the chain is slack and it's slapping around? Raising the blower may put some tension on the PTO to load the chain and keep it tight.....? Just a SWAG.......:unknown:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Try loosening all 6 bolts and nuts securing the drive shaft hex bearings, let the bearings with the shaft in place take a new set position. Maybe if the bearings find a spot slightly higher than where they are, it may give a better alignment condition. Move the assembly to force movement.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
lowering or lifting the snowblower shouldn't do anything to the midshaft from the pto to the bearing carrier, it's in a fixed position. I'd check the small driveshaft connected to the blower intself for anything weird.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I guess it's time to start checking everything. Skid shoe bolts tight? I had some loosen up and make a heck of a racket. All the shear bolts in place? Drive chain adjusted and lubed? U-joints tight and lubed?

·
Registered
45 Posts
lowering or lifting the snowblower shouldn't do anything to the midshaft from the pto to the bearing carrier, it's in a fixed position. I'd check the small driveshaft connected to the blower intself for anything weird.
The bearing carrier is in a fixed position when the weight of hitch+blower are on it.
But when the blower is floated (ie. weight's on the ground), there's some slop in it.
At least on mine... it's easy to see, with just the carrier installed on the tractor.

Hmm, thinking about it just gave me the idea how to easily test this: just float the
running blower while stopped atop an incline (steep enough that the blower doesn't
touch the ground, so the full weight is still on the hitch assembly). I'll give that a
try later (mine is behaving the same as FB's) & report back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My brand new 54" blower on my 1026r did the same thing the first year I got it. I checked everything and could never find the source of the horrendous rattling the first year. SO last year, I also noticed I had the same annoying rattling when using the #52 broom. So I determined it wasn't related to the snowblower but of course had to be somewhere in the drive line. So last fall when I put the blower on I let it run at full throttle and found the source of the rattle. It was the rod that hold the first bracket that the quick hitch attaches to.

As an experiment, I replaced the rod with 2 grade 8 bolts, one on each side, and the noise went away. However, because the bracket is attached so securely to the tractor there was a tremendous amount of vibration which I didn't like. I went back to the solid rod and of course the annoying rattling came back. There is a little "slop" built into the hole in the tractor frame where this bracket attaches probably to allow easier insertion so I haven't figured out what to do yet. But I was relieved that it was mostly annoyance and not the drive line ready to come apart. I'm surprised that this issue hasn't surfaced on the tractor chat sites before. It sounds like it could be more than just an isolated problem.

·
Registered
967 Posts
My brand new 54" blower on my 1026r did the same thing the first year I got it. I checked everything and could never find the source of the horrendous rattling the first year. SO last year, I also noticed I had the same annoying rattling when using the #52 broom. So I determined it wasn't related to the snowblower but of course had to be somewhere in the drive line. So last fall when I put the blower on I let it run at full throttle and found the source of the rattle. It was the rod that hold the first bracket that the quick hitch attaches to.

As an experiment, I replaced the rod with 2 grade 8 bolts, one on each side, and the noise went away. However, because the bracket is attached so securely to the tractor there was a tremendous amount of vibration which I didn't like. I went back to the solid rod and of course the annoying rattling came back. There is a little "slop" built into the hole in the tractor frame where this bracket attaches probably to allow easier insertion so I haven't figured out what to do yet. But I was relieved that it was mostly annoyance and not the drive line ready to come apart. I'm surprised that this issue hasn't surfaced on the tractor chat sites before. It sounds like it could be more than just an isolated problem.

This rattle subject has come up a few times now.... Mine does and I have done what others have done to find or fix the issue with no success. Although I have pondered over the quick hitch itself but, the light bulb just didn't click with me on that one. Thanks for the fix and posting it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you still want to use bolts versus the quick hitch pin you could try to use nylon or rubber washers in conjunction with locknuts and see if that would dampen the vibration. Something like an elastomer ring would probably work better as it could be thicker.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Sparkle" I'll try hanging the blower tomorrow as I just came in from playing with the rattle issue. The Noise sounds like its coming from under the tractor, but it could be elsewhere.

I did the following today:
1.Disconnected all the different drive shafts and turned the mid PTO on and still heard the noise, but a very low frequency so I believe it might be in the drive train yet and not the blower unit. (Noise is still there when disconnected)

2. Double checked the chain tension in the blower unit. (It was per spec)

3. Pulled, twisted and pressed on all the universals to check for bad bearings (all OK. I was surprised to see a very strange universal that hooks the blower unit to the tractor. Hard to describe you need to look at yours)

4. Checked all linkage (all firmly attached and bolts torqued)

During all this laying on the garage floor in 19 degree weather (Dog is licking my face as well) I did note during my press and pull inspection the output shaft from the Mid mount PTO has what I though an excessive amount of side to side play when pulling on the quick disconnect. I'm going to say 0.100 of play. Now if the bearing in the housing were bad this would/could cause the rattle noise? Can anyone crawl under their tractor and give theirs a tug side to side or from wheel to wheel direction and give me the results.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
One thing for sure. The mid PTO driveshaft that runs from the mid PTO attachment point in the front of the diff and ends after the stub shaft goes through the hex bearings in the front hitch bearing support has plenty of opportunity to vibrate. The simple fact that this driveshaft sort of wraps around the lower side of the front drive axle causes this driveshaft to operate at extremely odd angles which can cause vibration.
Yes, the front u-joint is a cardan constant velocity u-joint which is used in this type of application to try to minimize vibration but there is surely no absolute guarantee that it won't vibrate.

The other issue is, the short drive shaft that attaches to the snow blower and other end attaches at the front hitch can run at somewhat incorrect angles.

Put all these bad angles together and you have the potential for vibration!!!

One thing that can help, be sure the short shaft on the snow blower is assembled correctly. The u-joints yokes should be in phase correctly. I also try to attach the short snow blower shaft so it is in phase with the cardan joint u-joints.
Basically this means, I try to keep all the yokes on both shafts in phase.

Does this work, I like to think so!! :dunno:

Does mine vibrate, sometimes!! :banghead:

In my opinion, the propensity to vibrate is engineered into this drive system.

Also, because of all the odd angles, keep the u-joints and cardan joint greased well. The cardan joint has allot of moving parts and they move allot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
"Sparkle" I'll try hanging the blower tomorrow as I just came in from playing with the rattle issue. The Noise sounds like its coming from under the tractor, but it could be elsewhere.

I did the following today:
1.Disconnected all the different drive shafts and turned the mid PTO on and still heard the noise, but a very low frequency so I believe it might be in the drive train yet and not the blower unit. (Noise is still there when disconnected)

2. Double checked the chain tension in the blower unit. (It was per spec)

3. Pulled, twisted and pressed on all the universals to check for bad bearings (all OK. I was surprised to see a very strange universal that hooks the blower unit to the tractor. Hard to describe you need to look at yours)

4. Checked all linkage (all firmly attached and bolts torqued)

During all this laying on the garage floor in 19 degree weather (Dog is licking my face as well) I did note during my press and pull inspection the output shaft from the Mid mount PTO has what I though an excessive amount of side to side play when pulling on the quick disconnect. I'm going to say 0.100 of play. Now if the bearing in the housing were bad this would/could cause the rattle noise? Can anyone crawl under their tractor and give theirs a tug side to side or from wheel to wheel direction and give me the results.
Can you tell if the side to side play at the output shaft is in the quick coupler, or is the output shaft itself have side to side play?

I would not expect the output shaft itself to have any detectable side to side play in it, normally?

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you think about it anything mounted to the tractor that is loose by way of a pin in a hole or resting in a groove, notch, or hook is bound to vibriate. The ease of mounting and removal of most attachments does not require tools. Thus nothing is tight. The one solution to bolt the carrier down with grade 8 bolts washers and nuts would make it more solid to the tractor frame as was mentioned by a poster reply. But now tools are necessary for putting on and off. The whole carrier bearing assembly is loose just hanging there. Plus now there is a live drive shaft running thru it ringing it more. Closer fit of the thru rod and the mounting holes would maybe help. A rod with a few thousandths bigger diameter for a close fit between parts is a possible solution. It may cause difficulty (some wiggling, lifting, etc) inserting the bigger rod with things being so tight fitting.

Maybe someone can come up with an overcenter tapered plug toggle clamp. Not me, I'm only creating a spark.

Another thought............ How about ear plugs with them pluged into the I touch or Iphone and listen to oldies........?

·
Registered
20 Posts
replaced bearing today

Today I replaced the hex shaped bearings as one had failed. Before the bearing failure I didn't have any noise coming from the quick hitch assembly. In fact the six bolts had loosened so the shaft floated some. After replacing both bearings and with the snow blower lowered the quick hitch vibrates. In the raised position zero annoying vibration. So their is definitely an alignment issue. Tomorrow will try the "hanging" of the blower and loosen the bearings to hopefully eliminate the problem and then retighten. This thread has been very helpful.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Today I replaced the hex shaped bearings as one had failed. Before the bearing failure I didn't have any noise coming from the quick hitch assembly. In fact the six bolts had loosened so the shaft floated some. After replacing both bearings and with the snow blower lowered the quick hitch vibrates. In the raised position zero annoying vibration. So their is definitely an alignment issue. Tomorrow will try the "hanging" of the blower and loosen the bearings to hopefully eliminate the problem and then retighten. This thread has been very helpful.
Can you describe how the bearing had failed? Did the rollers seize or did the bearing race come apart? Do you have a picture?

I'm just wondering if I should start repacking mine with grease with a needle greaser.

·
Registered
20 Posts
bearing failue

The inner race (hex shape) slid down the shaft from the bearing closest to the blower itself. Looks like lack of grease caused it to fail. I didn't examine the new bearings but don't appear to have a rubber seal but not a bearing expert either.
This morning attempt to fix the quick hitch vibration. Attempt being the key word. First I raised the front axle and placed jack stands under the front axle. I then lowered the blower, started the tractor engaged the pto and ran the engine speed from idle to full throttle. The quick hitch shook and rattled a lot. Shut the tractor down and loosened the 6 bolts holding the two bearing housings. Just loosened enough but not sloppy, started the procedure over with the throttle from idle to full and the vibration was gone. Okay thought the drive shaft had found its happy position as I raised and lowered the snow blower. Shut it down and tighten the bolts. Went through the procedure again and the vibration is back. Found the only way to eliminate the vibration was to not completely tighten the six bolts. Maybe not the correct solution but I'd rather replace the two $20.00 bearings more frequently than have driveshaft problems. The run out of the driveshaft looks okay as it doesn't appear to be excessive. Without putting an indicator along any of the shafts I'm accepting this. Might change my thoughts when I put a load against the auger. Will wait for the next snowfall to see. Which by our Western New York forecast could be anytime.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The shaking when the bearings are tightened down, and the ruined bearing, make me think something may not be right.
I know it's a pain, but here's what I would do. I'd disconnect the short driveshaft to the blower, put the PTO select lever in rear pto only mode, and try turning the long mid pto shaft by hand with the bearings tight. It should turn smoothly and not feel like its binding. If you feel binding, there might be something wrong with the driveshaft itself, which would explain shaking and a ruined bearing.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll jump back in again with my bearing experience. I had read in other posts about the rattling issue and was told replacing the two bearings would fix the issue. Well this Summer I did replace the two bearings as I found one of them to be binding when I rolled it by hand. They are a greaseless type bearing and made in China. I found a couple of new ones from Japan (no American ones to be found) and did my thing, but was disappointed to hear the same noise. I still plan on doing some further investigation when it gets out of the single digit weather. I'm almost tempted to drill a hole in the outer race to at least force grease into the inner ball.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts