Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions/experiences using tractor Hydraulic vs PTO powered debris/leaf blowers.

Th PTO blower would be much less costly, especially when the cost of a hydraulic power pack is considered! The hydraulic blower would be more visible when seated in the cab... I am considering a Buffalo Turbine blower of each type.

The PTO would mount on the 3ph and the nozzle would rotate about an axis longitudinal with the tractor:

The hydraulic unit would mount on the loader and the nozzle could rotate on the same axis...

OR the loader could be raised in the dump position and the nozzle would then rotate in the around a vertical axis:

Is the ability to rotate the nozzle about the vertical axis as useful in tight areas, between buildings...as useful in the real world as I imagine?

It will be used on 2 properties. Small amount of lawns, but each have roughly 1/4 miles driveways and large turn-around/parking areas areas. Both properties are heavily treed, dropping a large amount of leaves and some twigs. One property has a house a 3 garages. The other property currently is used as a private RV camp. Both properties driveway/parking areas are crushed stone.

Thank you for sharing your experience with tractor mounted leaf blowers!

Joel

·
Registered
25,362 Posts
Both properties driveway/parking areas are crushed stone.
First thing that comes to mind is that these blowers are so powerful all your gravel/stone would be quickly swept away.

A leaf blower like this would be perfect for my needs but the cost is so high. They seem to be much more expensive than a leaf vacuum system that has its own little gasoline engine.

I always like the idea of PTO powered equipment - I already have the engine to drive such implements.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As best as I can tell, these blowers are fine on grass and hard surface driveways. But as you note, they could blow my crushed stone drive into the woods! I'm thinking lower engine rpm and raise/angle the nozzle when cleaning the stone surface and then crank it up when blowing the windrow/spoil into the woods.

And yes, they can be pricey. But for me, with my age/health I really need to be in a cab when doing this kind of work. Our triple bagger riding mower and hand held blower is becoming too much labor and dust for us to do the leaves. Hiring the work out is very difficult in this area. "Workers" want the money, but not the work. :)

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
With the hydraulic version, do you have sufficient hydraulic flow/gpm on your host machine?

Edit: Hydraulic option pictured with a skidsteer, which for their size have significantly higher hydraulic flow relative to a tractor of similar weight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the hydraulic version, do you have sufficient hydraulic flow/gpm on your host machine?

Edit: Hydraulic option pictured with a skidsteer, which for their size have significantly higher hydraulic flow relative to a tractor of similar weight.
No...it will need a pto driven pump...which accounts for the substantial cost deference between a pto driven 3ph mounted blower vs. a loader mounted hydraulic blower.

As an aside, I have a pto hydraulic power pack for my loader mounted snow blower...but it doesn't have enough pressure for the debris/leaf blower! :(

·
Registered
25,362 Posts
And yes, they can be pricey. But for me, with my age/health I really need to be in a cab when doing this kind of work. Our triple bagger riding mower and hand held blower is becoming too much labor and dust for us to do the leaves. Hiring the work out is very difficult in this area. "Workers" want the money, but not the work.
I have the same issues. I’ve never had any kind of fall leaf removal type machine but now need something. Just don’t know which way to go.

The area I get inundated with leaves is about 3/4 acre of red oak trees. But this are is all along our river bank. A powerful enough blower and I could blow them all over the bank. This would be the best situation as I don’t want the hassle of collecting them, then hauling them to the woods to dump.

And there is nobody to hire for anything around here. It took me 2 years to find someone to do our roof which is finally in progress. Nobody wants to work anymore.

I’ll be following along with your thread here. My only real option would he a smaller 3 point hitch PTO blower as I only have a 2520 with about 19 PTO horsepower.

Reactions: Hagak

·
Registered
645 Posts
What is the price for the PTO driven? I can't seem to find a price for anything but the tag along.

·
Registered
25,362 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
And there is nobody to hire for anything around here. It took me 2 years to find someone to do our roof which is finally in progress. Nobody wants to work anymore.
Glad I am not the only one, hell trying to get 3 quotes on a project is near impossible. I am thrilled to get just one person to call me back!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the price for the PTO driven? I can't seem to find a price for anything but the tag along.
3ph pto units run a bit less than a comparable self powered tag along.

Price vary significantly according to size and quality. Sized for the average tractor owned by members of this site I'd guess upwards $6K for a high quality pto unit. Hydraulic units runs about the same...until the price of a hydraulic power pack gets added in. A power pack from Erskine or John Deere can easily cost as much, or more, than the blower!

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
I’d be buying the biggest baddest billygoat walk behind and strapping it to a carry all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts