Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some thoughts. I have a 2013 JD 4105 tractor and I'm looking for a wood chipper to put behind it. Will mainly be chipping up black jack limbs and some cedar tree limbs and small trees. What do you all recommend? Not looking to spend more than about $3000 or so which means I don't want anything too big, but I don't want anything too light weight either. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Whatever you do, DON'T get a DR branded chipper. cedar branches will jam it right up and without the proper driveline protection, damage the PTO shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Whatever you do, DON'T get a DR branded chipper. cedar branches will jam it right up and without the proper driveline protection, damage the PTO shaft.
sounds like experience talking

Reactions: pcabe5 and johnH123

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm looking for some thoughts. I have a 2013 JD 4105 tractor and I'm looking for a wood chipper to put behind it. Will mainly be chipping up black jack limbs and some cedar tree limbs and small trees. What do you all recommend? Not looking to spend more than about $3000 or so which means I don't want anything too big, but I don't want anything too light weight either. Thanks.
I don't have one but lots of folks recommend Woodmax, they come in under 3,000.

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
A good starting point is to determine the max diameter of the limbs you need to chip. That will then directly relate to the size/price of the chipper. You need something properly sized for the 33HP of the 4105 PTO.

Reactions: pcabe5 and Levi

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After reading everyons posts so far, and by the way thanks a bunch for the info, this leads me into another question. What is the big difference between a chipper and a shredder? I notice that a lot of the units advertised are chipper shredders. This has me a little confused.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
I have a Wallenstein BX62, it was less than your $3K limit 7-8 years ago when I bought it. Too big for your tractor, but Wallenstein gets my vote.

BEWARE of "knock offs" I have seen chippers that "look" like a Wallenstein and even had BX42 name sticker on it, BUT was NOT a Wallenstein.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I have a Bearcat 73554 Chipper / Shredder.

The "shredder" is for chewing up limbs, branches and the little stuff like that. I've even used mine to mulch the ornamental grass that I cut to the ground every year.

Here's a picture of it attached to the back of my 3520. The "chipper" feed is the long, orange tube. It's designed to send down the bigger stuff. This chipper is rated at 5" material. It'll eat 3" stuff like no tomorrow! Anything bigger and I feed it in smaller chunks or it starts to bog down the tractor. Although this isn't a power feed chipper, as long as the knives are sharp, it pretty well pulls the material right into the chipper.

Bearcat_Chipper.jpg

The "shredder" is the black part on the back of the picture. It has a wide opening so you can feed in all of the "branchy" stuff without having to cut it down. You can feed stuff up to about 1.5" in diameter in there. You have to be careful feeding stuff into there as it will yank it right out of your hand.

Below is a picture of the flywheel with the chipper knives (4 of them on this machine) which is the rear of the picture. In the forefront are the shredder knives. When the flywheel is spinning the knives swing out from the centrifugal force and tear up the material in much the same way a flail mower works. Pretty cool!
Shredder_Knives.jpg

Oh, did I mention that my Made in the USA chipper is for sale? And it's within your budget! :bigthumb:

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
After reading everyons posts so far, and by the way thanks a bunch for the info, this leads me into another question. What is the big difference between a chipper and a shredder? I notice that a lot of the units advertised are chipper shredders. This has me a little confused.
A chipper/shredder has both a chipper intake and a shredder intake. The shredder intake can accept things like leaves, bark, small twigs, corn stalks. Generally anything an inch or less. The chipper intake takes branches. The biggest differences between a straight chipper and a chipper/shredder are a chipper usually takes bigger branches than a chipper/shredder. The Woodmaxx chipper I posted a link to above can take up to a 6" branch. The Wallenstein BXM32 can take a 3" branch. Even the bigger BXM42 has a 4" max branch.

If you have a 4105 you have loads of options since I believe you have at least 30hp at the pto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
How much land do you have,,,?
and what is the purpose of the chipper,,,?

I have considered one MANY times, only to realize I do not need it.
To get rid of brush, leaves, etc,, I have a dedicated area that the material is stacked.
Each year the pile goes down by decomposition, each year I add more.

The hope is to remove it and add that material to the garden,,, some day,,,:dunno:
The pile stays so small, it is not a worrisome bother,, yet.

If I want mulch,, a quick trip with the trailer to the mulch yard, and just a little :gizmo:
and they load my trailer with nice looking mulch.

I switched to "stone" mulch around the house,,,
that was a "one and done" project,, no annual replacement needed,, it looks great.
no termites, no insects,, and the chickens do not move it around.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have just over 4 acres. 2 of which is the house, shop and yard. The rest is basically a forest. Wanting to clean it up and get rid of a bunch of the small cedar trees that have sprang up over the last few years. so it's mostly black jack and cedar trees. The larger logs I'll stack up and either give to the local wood carver or somebody that wants them for firewood. The cedar trees I want to chip up along with the small limbs and branches from the larger trees. Once everything is cleaned up the plan is to get it all smoothed out and see if I can get some grass going and keep it mowed. I don't have anyplace I can pile things up and burn them just don't feel safe doing that and I don't have anyplace I can haul it to dump it without paying for it. I'd rather buy a chipper and use it till I no longer need it then sell it to someone who might be able to use it for something similar.

Any way I was just wondering what others had used and what they found worked best. Don't have any plan set in stone yet. I sure want to thank everyone for their information and thoughts. Definetly have some things to look at and think about.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Don't know what size you had experience with in the DR brand. I bought a DR back in '03 that chips up to 4½" and just today I chipped a cedar tree and have chipped many in the past. Never had a problem with them. Mine works off the PTO. But if I had to do over I'd get a bigger one with a self feeder on it. What's been mentioned are good units from what I've seen. No reason for me to up grade as mine works to good to replace it. Only thing I don't run through mine is leaves and anything that's bigger then 4½". I have a pile of vines that is going through it tomorrow. If you have trees like you said you won't be getting rid of it once you buy it. I use mine at least once or twice a year. Any time you have branches fall or a tree come down for whatever reason you'll be glad you got it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought the bx52s this year. I've ran it about 25 hours. I'm very pleased so far with no....I wish it did that...or other complaints.
It's extremely well built.
The wood chips I've found are excellent for my roads throughout my property. No mud, no erosion, less compression to the ground and a much smoother ride. For those reading that might have roads.
After chipping a big pile I would rake everything up, leaves and twigs and put them through it. Just be careful about rocks. The fine stuff I would put on last in my trailer on top so I could pull it off first under the chips.
It cost me three thousand with tax. I bought it from a local dealer. I called a few different dealers and received three to five hundred dollars different in quotes if I remember correctly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Wood chipper

I'm on the fence with a chipper. I could totally use one like crazy but once I'm done it would see rare service. I have a lot of downed trees and brush to clean up. I'm going to create a big pile and get a few prices for some one to come and chip it. Kinda hoping price is high enough so I can justify buying one. My area has no dumping facility. I have to load my truck and go to my brother in laws county with him to show residency ID or get a container/dumpster.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and BigJim55

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I'm on the fence with a chipper. I could totally use one like crazy but once I'm done it would see rare service. I have a lot of downed trees and brush to clean up. I'm going to create a big pile and get a few prices for some one to come and chip it. Kinda hoping price is high enough so I can justify buying one. My area has no dumping facility. I have to load my truck and go to my brother in laws county with him to show residency ID or get a container/dumpster.
Rental where I'm at for a trailer mounted chipper that can handle 7" material is $150 for 4 hours. Might be something to look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do any of those 20ish hp pto units have power feed rollers? Or maybe they don't need them?

I have a 10hp little guy and you spend so much time forcing the sticks into it just to make noise and sawdust, a match is much more effective.

Reactions: pcabe5
1 - 20 of 32 Posts