Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bypassed this on a x7xx? My fix works when mowing but is kind of a pain with the blower because I clean 2 neighbors driveways also. I like to be able to shut it off when traveling down the road. Also included a picture of my way of cheating to clean the deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
You have a drive over deck it's super easy dismount and to clean. That said I do like the service truck crane. Although one day they will pass the OSHA revision that requires operators licenses to use those things.

There are many ways to "fix" the RIO system on the x series tractors. This is mine. Somehow that orange button got replaced with a rocker switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m kind of ashamed of myself for not thinking of that goofy push button. 30 years as a diesel tech and Deere engine core certified and I didn’t think of jumping that switch. Thanks. I try not to remove the drive over deck more than I have to because it takes 2 or 3 crappy looking mowing jobs to get it level again. I did my x500 once a year and that was it no matter how many times I took the deck off. Just another disappointment with an expensive attachment that’s almost perfect but not quite

·
Registered
562 Posts
I’m kind of ashamed of myself for not thinking of that goofy push button. 30 years as a diesel tech and Deere engine core certified and I didn’t think of jumping that switch. Thanks. I try not to remove the drive over deck more than I have to because it takes 2 or 3 crappy looking mowing jobs to get it level again. I did my x500 once a year and that was it no matter how many times I took the deck off. Just another disappointment with an expensive attachment that’s almost perfect but not quite
Maybe it's just me but I've never had my deck get out of level taking it off and on. Done it dozens of times and it always cuts the same.

Either way that orange button is the ticket.

·
Super Moderator
5,576 Posts
I don't understand the deck getting out of level so often!:unknown: Are the lawn and garden tractors that much different than a CUT! I think not. My deck has been on and off my tractor going on 10 years, and once I leveled it, (when new and first installed) it has never changed!:)

·
Registered
23,020 Posts
I don't understand the deck getting out of level so often!:unknown: Are the lawn and garden tractors that much different than a CUT! I think not. My deck has been on and off my tractor going on 10 years, and once I leveled it, (when new and first installed) it has never changed!:)
Same here. 12 years now and my deck comes off and on every week during mowing season.

However I did readjust it just this past spring as it wasn't reaching full height in the up position. Should be good for another 12 years!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Has anyone bypassed this on a x7xx?
I bypassed mine on the X748 I had (and the seat switch, too). I suppose the X758 uses the same linkages to shut things off.

On the underside and inside the right side frame rail is where the RIO safety switch is. When you press the reverse pedal, the linkage presses the switch and opens the circuit. I disconnected the pigtail lead, and placed a jumper in the pigtail. Totally reversible, but the RIO is deactivated and the PTO keeps on keepin' on when you back up. Seat switch is the same way, disconnect the pigtail and put a jumper in the pigtail.

Both JD dealers I take stuff to tell me they have to "repair" the switches if and when they do any service or repairs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dealer told me it’s a common thing with the drive over decks. There was a PIP that replaced the front deck attachment that helped somewhat. One of the techs gave me a set of the threaded parts the rear adjusters thread into. He said those were commonly broken too. I’ve replaced one side so far

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have a drive over deck it's super easy dismount and to clean. That said I do like the service truck crane. Although one day they will pass the OSHA revision that requires operators licenses to use those things.

There are many ways to "fix" the RIO system on the x series tractors. This is mine. Somehow that orange button got replaced with a rocker switch.
You wouldn’t want to let us in on a source for that rocker switch would you? Looks very nice.

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Has anyone bypassed this on a x7xx? My fix works when mowing but is kind of a pain with the blower because I clean 2 neighbors driveways also. I like to be able to shut it off when traveling down the road. Also included a picture of my way of cheating to clean the deck.
The suggestions for bypassing the RIO mentioned above are spot on. I did the jumper wire myself. But I wanted to point out that the snowblower kit on the x7xx (at least the current generation) is supposed to come with a sensor that detects the front PTO usage and overrides the RIO automatically because there is no safety value in shutting off the PTO when reversing during snowblowing. It may be that the front PTO kits didn't initially come with the sensor but since about 2016 they should have.

It is called the 'Front Implement Monitor' sensor and it is oriented pointing against the driveshaft going through the front axle. Apparently this is a Hall-type sensor that monitors shaft rotation and defeats the PTO safety switch so the tractor can be reversed without it shutting off the snowblower. Looks like the part number of the sensor itself (one piece of a group of parts) is LVA17409.

Rob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, the front sensor is a relatively new solution. I asked my JD dealer about trying to retrofit the kit into my X585 and they suggested it was a super extensive effort so I did jumper wire solution which was easy and cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts

Did you add a ground to get it to light up?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yep. I ran a wire to the nearest and easiest to get to bolt I could find. Other wise I think it literally just plugged right in and popped in the hole.
Thanks, I like the switch idea. Been using this high tech solution for past 4 years. Its out of warranty now so i might go ahead and do something different.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
I considered doing something like that with the PTO switch but some part of me just thought I would end up breaking an annoyingly expensive switch and having to replace it.

I didn't like the idea of a jumper because I didn't want to have to take anything apart to undo the "fix". To me the rocker switch is the same as having the pushbutton that was there. Something I can easily turn on or off when I start getting the kids learning how to mow. I almost used a key switch but the one I had the wires were too small of a gauge to use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts