Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to know what questions to ask when purchasing a used implement to ensure that I am getting a shaft compatible with or can buy a shaft compatible with my tractor. Is the shaft connection to the attachment fairly standard? Splines? Length? Not sure of the process. Looking to purchase some used equipment, but my cost could go up quite a bit if the hardware isn't compatible (I think?).

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2 and rtgt

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
The splines and basic connection is standard for 540 RPM shafts, but the length varies quite a bit depending on the implement and tractor it was used on.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The splines and basic connection is standard for 540 RPM shafts, but the length varies quite a bit depending on the implement and tractor it was used on.
that said there are two or three stock sizes. IIRC they come in 24" and/or 56" or something like that when you buy them new from a store.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Did implements / tractors standardize after a certain year? I seem to recall our old 9N had a different spline than modern implements.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and johnH123

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Depending what the owner has (tractor) and what you have it could be the same.If not hopefully the shaft is longer than you need so you can make adjustments. I had to buy a shaft because my brother and I went halves on a spreader.So if you need to replace any pto shafts there are different series for different implements.For example a series one would be for a spreader but can't be used on a tiller or brush hog.They go M1,M4,M6,M7,M8 this site will help explain. PTO Shafts I did find this one at a good price and is better then what came on the spreader. PTO Shaft, 1-3/8 in. 6-Spline x 1-3/8 in. 6-Spline F/ Speader

Reactions: rtgt

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
Albert, What tractor do you have?
FWIW, A Signature Line can help us all help you.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Albert, What tractor do you have?
FWIW, A Signature Line can help us all help you.
Also depends on which end of the tractor you are talking about.
that said there are two or three stock sizes. IIRC they come in 24" and/or 56" or something like that when you buy them new from a store.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
The PTO shaft on the implement will be the correct length for the implement to fit standard distances from PTO to hitch points on the tractor. Unless you have an unusual quick hitch extension, the shaft on the implement will fit your standard 540

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just curious to know what questions to ask when purchasing a used implement to ensure that I am getting a shaft compatible with or can buy a shaft compatible with my tractor. Is the shaft connection to the attachment fairly standard? Splines? Length? Not sure of the process. Looking to purchase some used equipment, but my cost could go up quite a bit if the hardware isn't compatible (I think?).
Uncle Albert-

I would also consider the connectors at either end of the PTO shaft - they're not all the same. I've got two types, one has a spring loaded pin that depresses a device that fits into a detent on the splined shaft that keeps the coupler from slipping off. The other type, and my personal favorite, has a knurled plastic ring that is rotated to apply and release the detent ball.

There are several safety threads active on GTT now; so I'll also advise keeping your PTO guards in place at all times- you don't want to mess with a rotating PTO shaft ever.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts