Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope everyone at GTT is doing well and staying safe. I have a 2016 Frontier RC2072 (slip clutch) and lets say I'm in need of a PTO half shaft for on the tractor side. Called the local JD dealer and was pleasantly surprised when they recommended me to a tractor parts dealer (said it would save me money). I take the half needing to be replaced to the tractor parts dealer and the parts guy tells me I need to bring the whole PTO shaft in. I thought I could find just the half I need without having to replace the whole thing. So I go to see about taking it off the cutter but it looks more than I want to tackle for what I thought would be an easy replacement. Does anyone have suggestions??

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Does your RC2072 PTO shaft have a shear pin or a slip clutch? Also, knowing the S/N will help as there are several serial number breaks in JD Parts for that cutter.

I see you can buy individual parts including the half-shaft from JD Parts. I'm not sure how common it is for 3rd party PTO shaft suppliers to sell half a shaft - or if there are fitment issues.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
According to JD Parts this is the breakdown for the RC2072 for S/N 063419 and higher. I suspect the reason the farm store wants you to bring in the whole thing is because they want to size a whole new PTO shaft as a replacement.

Did the parts store guy confirm that they can indeed sell you 1/2 a shaft?

BTW... sorry - I see you mentioned slip clutch in your initial post and somehow I missed that.

#19 gets you all the parts on the tractor side for $128. Not all that bad for a JD OEM replacement. An entire new shaft (#17) is $391.

Part Number:
5TIFC711340
Part Price:128.37 USD

Description:Drive Shaft - TRAC.1/2 RC2060/72 SLIP CLUTCH PTO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jgayman, thank you so much for your help. The parts store guy never really said he could or could not sell me the 1/2 shaft (I assumed not when I brought it in and he said he needed to see the whole shaft). Having the part number to the 1/2 shaft helps tremendously!

I've been lurking here for a long time since I "inherited" a JD 650 and have been reading up on it, and recently got a "bigger" JD tractor, so I've come to the place where I know there are great folks and awesome advice!

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
jgayman, thank you so much for your help. The parts store guy never really said he could or could not sell me the 1/2 shaft (I assumed not when I brought it in and he said he needed to see the whole shaft). Having the part number to the 1/2 shaft helps tremendously!
I see some half shafts listed on the TSC website but they are $120. They have them listed as “Series X”. I’m not sure how you know what series you have. I suspect it is HO rating. I know the shape of PTO shafts are not all the same.

You may end up finding that the JD OEM replacement part is the least expensive option.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a Frontier RC2060 rotary cutter with a slip clutch. Removing the PTO on mine is quite simple. Found this while trying to lube the u joints on the mower side. On mine there is a top and bottom access flap on the plastic shroud that covers everything on that end of the PTO shaft. Open these and rotate PTO shaft and mine has a bolt and nut that hold the shaft to the splined gear box shaft. Remove that bolt and PTO shaft slides off the spline slip clutch and all. If you do not want to break it down any farther shop could do that. Takes less than a minute to do on mine. Makes it real simple to service and goes back together just as easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a used RC2072. The PTO shaft hub that connects the slip clutch to gear box spindle is loose. There was no snap ring. I ordered a new snap ring, but I am not sure this will fix the looseness of the hub (causes the shaft to wobble). I am afraid it would destroy the U/cross bearings and the gear box. Any suggestions? Should I replace the hub or other parts of the PTO shaft? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope everyone at GTT is doing well and staying safe. I have a 2016 Frontier RC2072 (slip clutch) and lets say I'm in need of a PTO half shaft for on the tractor side. Called the local JD dealer and was pleasantly surprised when they recommended me to a tractor parts dealer (said it would save me money). I take the half needing to be replaced to the tractor parts dealer and the parts guy tells me I need to bring the whole PTO shaft in. I thought I could find just the half I need without having to replace the whole thing. So I go to see about taking it off the cutter but it looks more than I want to tackle for what I thought would be an easy replacement. Does anyone have suggestions??
Hey there, are you willing to share the parts source he recommended? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts