Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to now what length the pto shaft would be for a 1025r for rear pto(what is the measurement of the hitch arms to the tip of pto)

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Not really following your question, are you talking about the implement PTO shaft?:dunno:
Or is there a problem with the PTO shaft on your tractor?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really following your question, are you talking about the implement PTO shaft?:dunno:
Or is there a problem with the PTO shaft on your tractor?
the implement. im borrowing my uncles brush hog but i dont what to have to buy a pto shaft since i have to replace the bottom seal on the brush hog befor i use it

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
the implement. im borrowing my uncles brush hog but i dont what to have to buy a pto shaft since i have to replace the bottom seal on the brush hog befor i use it
Depends on the implement, but for reference, my rotary cutter has a 35 1/2" pto shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
My rotary cutter is a 48", forgot to add that.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
You have to buy a pto shaft?
Either way the best thing to do is hook up and measure.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have to buy a pto shaft?
Either way the best thing to do is hook up and measure.

im tring to see if i can get away with using the pto shat thats on it but i do have to get a new bottom end seal for it since it pukes gear oil on the blades

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
im tring to see if i can get away with using the pto shat thats on it but i do have to get a new bottom end seal for it since it pukes gear oil on the blades
Okay, hook up and you'll see. Also just to mention I also have a 1023 and that really isn't enough tractor for a 5 footer. I'm right at the minimum HP required for my 4 footer.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
i got a 1025r
Ok, your call sign through me off
Still maxed out though for a 5 footer but hook up and see if it works

·
Administrator
17,990 Posts
There is no direct answer to your question, every implement is different. You need to verify the length is OK before hooking up and especially before operating. Get it wrong (if its to long) and you can do some serious damage to your tractor, or yourself (if its to short and comes apart while running).

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Thanks coaltrain, I certainly didn't mean for him to hook up and take off into a field with it. I simply meant hook up, or at least back up to the implement to get a measurement or to see if the pto shaft is the right length.

That wasn't meant for you. I try to insert relevant sticky posts when applicable. There is a lot of good information in there - including what the OP needs to know.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
There is no direct answer to your question, every implement is different. You need to verify the length is OK before hooking up and especially before operating. Get it wrong (if its to long) and you can do some serious damage to your tractor, or yourself (if its to short and comes apart while running).
Kenny, let me ask this so I know for sure. What is the relevance of too long of a shaft? On my tiller I only pull out a few inches of shaft to hook up. My FIL who has farmed it his entire life says the least amount of extension the better to eliminate wobble. Please educate me

·
Administrator
17,990 Posts
Kenny, let me ask this so I know for sure. What is the relevance of too long of a shaft?
If the shaft is too long, and you raise the implement-then the shaft can be pushed into the transmission and crack the case, bend the shaft, damage the u-joints, and/or damage the gearbox on the implement. The shaft must be able to collapse all the way when the 3PH is fully raised.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
If the shaft is too long, and you raise the implement-then the shaft can be pushed into the transmission and crack the case, bend the shaft, damage the u-joints, and/or damage the gearbox on the implement. The shaft must be able to collapse all the way when the 3PH is fully raised.
I'm good there with the tiller, thanks for clarifying that for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Measuring a PTO shaft...

OK! years ago I found this formula which only slightly (painfully) resembles the dreaded number line from 6 grade:laugh:

1. With implement PTO
end attached in place (bolted or snapped) measure from the retaining ring on the implement shaft to the center of the hitch mounting pins
2. turn to the tractor...
3. measure from the end of the PTO shaft to the center of the swivel balls on lift arms
4. deduct 2" for coupling space.
5. Using the interval (Uh Oh, theres that word) obtained in steps 1-4, measure the free (tractor) end of the PTO shaft and mark it to remove any shaft length beyond your calculated interval (1-4).
6. Remove the same length from the mating (implement) shaft - or it won't really be shorter!
7. Dress, lube mating shaft and shield ends, re-telescope the shaft.

mate the hitch, connect the shaft and go!

° This will work for any shaft: tiller (short) grooming or bush mower (long) or PH digger (Really Long!)
° should the lift arms be up or level for tractor measurement? - really doesn't matter as they describe an arc:geek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts