Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was changing the CV Shaft on one of our vehicles and my FIL and I were shootin the breeze... Why doesnt somebody/anybody/everybody offer a PTO Shaft with joints & boots like a CV shaft? Completely sealed, maintenance free, etc.. just need to incorporate a telescopic shaft and presto! Maintenance free shaft!

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Cost maybe? And possibly old way of thinking "If I can't squirt grease and see it run out everywhere then it won't last" type thinking. I think I have seen some high-end Italian attachments with CV joints though?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cost maybe? And possibly old way of thinking "If I can't squirt grease and see it run out everywhere then it won't last" type thinking. I think I have seen some high-end Italian attachments with CV joints though?
I've got a CV joint on one of the shafts for the 246 Broom...even thats the "exposed" type:
Similar to this:

·
Administrator
17,067 Posts
Now that you mention that-I think the new/updated front PTO shaft's for the 2x20 series now has a CV joint because of all the vibration problems they had.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to be confusing...less then the CV type..(Doesnt need to be CV At all...sorry to be confusing) I was more wanting a "Booted & Sealed for life" joint:

I shoulda said it would be nice to have a PTO shaft SIMILAR to an automotive CV shaft which has its joint booted & sealed for life. You guys are right...there is NO need for a CV type joint in 99% of our applications.

The Shaft on my Broom a double Cardan as you posted Brian..Its the only "CV" I have around the house...I suspect its only like that because of the articulation and driveline angles caused by it.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
bondioli and pavsi (one company name, like briggs and stratton) do make constant velocity joint shafts.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
This machine has CV joints connecting the drivetrain,,, and the steering

·
Registered
4,425 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I've spent the better part of today looking for an H-joint to add to my PTO shaft just to be safe. No dice in finding one the right size yet.

What you have on that drive shaft is a double cardan joint, not a true CV joint.

I'm not sure how well a knuckle type CV like used in half-shafts (FWD, etc) would tolerate the pushing/pulling in a telescopic driveline application. There's gotta be a reason none of the auto makers are using them in truck drivelines. The double cardan's on the other hand are found in lots of 4wd systems, and in shafts where there's a transition from a center bearing (Toyota Tacoma extended cab 2wd for instance).

Then you get to the u-joint style CV's and those have a ball/socket between the two cross bearings. These are what's often used on Ag equipment and comes at a significant price increase due to complexity in the parts.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
what i dont get is why we dont use a sealed universal joint in axles instead of a cv. man, i hate cv joints.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts