Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please school me on PTO shafts?

I bought a used frontier snow blower and the PTO shaft is too short for the 1025R with a QuickHitch. Based on my measurements, I think I need a shaft 25 3/4" if my memory serves me correctly. My closest source to buy a shaft is Tractor Supply. I went there looking and noticed several different options based on usage. I would assume I want one rated for tilling applications. Is this correct?

The second question is none of the shafts at Tractor Supply have the same connections on both ends like my tractor and blower does. Do I need to buy something else that adapts the Tractor Supply PTO shaft to fit both the blower and tractor?

I'm confused and apparently I'm the only person who doesn't know because I couldn't find any of this when I did a search.

Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
What type pto shaft? My guess is the shaft kinda resembles a mis-shaped triangle. I'll bet JD outsources it's pto shafts so repair parts should be available at several different business's.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
PTO Shafts

This is where I bought my PTO shaft for my 10ft brush hog. If they don't have it, you probably don't need it. Look at the pics and descriptions to see one that matches what you have. Tractor end will definitely have to be 6 spline. Implement end can vary. Likely it will be 6 spline or smooth with a bolt through it that can also serve as a shear pin. You will likely want one with a slip clutch such as this one. NEW SLIP CLUTCH PTO SHAFT FOR COMPACT TRACTOR TILLERS ROTO TILLERS BUSHHOG RHINO KINGKUTTER,CARONI,MASCHIO,JOHN DEERE, MOST MODELS

Remember that you can shorten it if necessary, but you cannot make it longer.

Dave

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
The blower is a Frontier SB1154.
Well... you can get a new PTO shaft from JD for only $369. I'm thinking you can probably do better from a 3rd party. JD does not give any specifications for the drive line.

The Operator's Manual for the SB1154 lists the PTO shaft as a "Comer 40" and the blower is rated for 16-35 HP.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
536 Posts
How much too short is the shaft? I had the same problem with my tiller and the quick hitch. I bought a PTO extender from Thiesens for about $30. Solved the problem. The site won't let me attach a picture of it

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well... you can get a new PTO shaft from JD for only $369. I'm thinking you can probably do better from a 3rd party. JD does not give any specifications for the drive line.

The Operator's Manual for the SB1154 lists the PTO shaft as a "Comer 40" and the blower is rated for 16-35 HP.
I just assumed the PTO shafts were all the same, but assumed wrong. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much too short is the shaft? I had the same problem with my tiller and the quick hitch. I bought a PTO extender from Thiesens for about $30. Solved the problem. The site won't let me attach a picture of it
Its about 4 or 5 inches too short. I'll check Thiesens out. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts