Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my X728 today for the first time snowblowing. It worked fine, except for the annoying fact that the snowblower shuts off whenever the tractor goes into reverse. It then requires shutting the PTO switch off and turning it back on again. All is well until the tractor goes into reverse again, repeat process. I'm guessing this may well be a "safety" feature designed into the machine by the lawyers at JD, but I just don't get the logic. This is not only annoying, but induces excessive wear on the machine every time it goes through the jolt of a startup.

Does anyone know of a hack to defeat this feature?

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
Is this a front mounted blower?

The PTO shutting of is the RIO function operating exactly as designed.

Assuming you have the front mounted blower, there should be a Hall effect sensor on the PTO shaft that detects that you are using the front PTO and prevents the RIO function from giving you the exact problem you are having. On other machines it is mounted near the front PTO shaft carrier bearing on the QuickTach hitch.

Or you can do what a lot of people do and just bypass the RIO function entirely.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is a pressure switch that disables this safety feature when using the snow blower. You’ll need to address this before you go crazy.

I attached a picture so you can look for it. This may not be your exact one but similar.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
RIO = Reverse Implement Operation.

It is a safety feature designed to shut off implements if you drop your machine into reverse. There is an over-ride someone where on your dash or steering wheel. Usually either a yellow knob or button. Depending on machine, some you push, some you pull.

But the intent is to force the machine operator to be aware of what is going on behind them when backing up. In theory, that means you see your 2-year old wandering around your yard before backing over them with the mower or you see them in the driveway before backing into them with the rear snowblower and blowing them into the neighbor's yard.

For some further discussion in it with the X700 machines:
X700 Series RIO Bypass

·
Registered
123 Posts
RIO reverse implement option. If you press the rio yellow button when entering into reverse it won’t kill your engine. With front mounted attachments the switch over rides the need for the button.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

But the intent is to force the machine operator to be aware of what is going on behind them when backing up. In theory, that means you see your 2-year old wandering around your yard before backing over them with the mower or you see them in the driveway before backing into them with the rear snowblower and blowing them into the neighbor's yard.

X700 Series RIO Bypass
Thanks for that graphic and somewhat disturbing explanation.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
RIO is what happens when you add lawyers to equipment design teams.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
RIO is what happens when you add lawyers to equipment design teams.

Or when manufactures are sued by the idiot that hurts themselves or someone else and wont take responsibility :nunu:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I considered putting the by-pass on my RIO, but second guessed myself.

While I'm the only person using my x750, there is a chance one of my wife's boys may mow some day, and her Dad keeps hinting he really like my John Deere, and offers to mow our 3 acres. With that in mind, I'm keeping my RIO enabled and stock. The boys are typical teenagers with attention spans of a squirrel

<< Keep telling boys to "courtesy flush" the toilets in the house, and pay attention to back-ups and overflows...I'm sitting in living room Sunday afternoon and hear a drip...thankfully I ran upstairs and noticed the boys bathroom toilet overflowing(!). Ten minutes later we have water dripping through lights in the kitchen...UGH!!! >>

On my JD, I can shove the rubber key-ring under my PTO switch...keeps the switch up and defeats the RIO. It's kind of a pain, but works for me, and keeps the RIO for when others.

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
Thanks for that graphic and somewhat disturbing explanation.
:laugh: SORRY!

A lot of people really hate the RIO function. It's there for legal reasons even though it doesn't cover that for Deere either.

There is a thread on here somewhere about a guy in IL that ran over and killed his child while backing up on a Deere lawn tractor and he had his finger on the RIO button to disable it at the time he did it. He still won several million $$ in the lawsuit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is this a front mounted blower?

The PTO shutting of is the RIO function operating exactly as designed.

Assuming you have the front mounted blower, there should be a Hall effect sensor on the PTO shaft that detects that you are using the front PTO and prevents the RIO function from giving you the exact problem you are having. On other machines it is mounted near the front PTO shaft carrier bearing on the QuickTach hitch.

Or you can do what a lot of people do and just bypass the RIO function entirely.

The hall sensor is found on the signature series like the x730 not on the x720, x485 etc..

·
Registered
120 Posts

It is a safety feature designed to shut off implements if you drop your machine into reverse. There is an over-ride someone where on your dash or steering wheel. Usually either a yellow knob or button. Depending on machine, some you push, some you pull.

X700 Series RIO Bypass
My parents JD X series has that button. It annoys me more than it should trying to crank that little wheel while holding the button down, and I don't think the engine liked it to much either.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
:laugh: SORRY!

A lot of people really hate the RIO function. It's there for legal reasons even though it doesn't cover that for Deere either.

There is a thread on here somewhere about a guy in IL that ran over and killed his child while backing up on a Deere lawn tractor and he had his finger on the RIO button to disable it at the time he did it. He still won several million $$ in the lawsuit.
That's just wrong! :nunu:

·
Registered
80 Posts
For all of this hassle discussed in this thread, don't blame Deere.. but do blame the greedy lawyers who chase the ambulances and get huge sums of money in their pockets for their minimal effort.

In the meantime, find the switch/button that is moved/actuated when the reverse pedal is pressed, and then just move it enough that the pedal misses its mark (if you want). Easiest when the mower deck is off, to look underneath and find that critical button.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I used my X728 today for the first time snowblowing. It worked fine, except for the annoying fact that the snowblower shuts off whenever the tractor goes into reverse. It then requires shutting the PTO switch off and turning it back on again. All is well until the tractor goes into reverse again, repeat process. I'm guessing this may well be a "safety" feature designed into the machine by the lawyers at JD, but I just don't get the logic. This is not only annoying, but induces excessive wear on the machine every time it goes through the jolt of a startup.

you can disable your seat switch and RIO and then you want have aggravation or you can pull up on the knob of the pto or push down on it...as it has an RIO override...maybe also review your manual....not much on all these cut offs...

·
Registered
649 Posts
you can disable your seat switch and RIO and then you want have aggravation or you can pull up on the knob of the pto or push down on it...as it has an RIO override...maybe also review your manual....not much on all these cut offs...
I'm not a fan of disabling safety interlocks. The OP falls off and the tractor, which is still running, runs him over. And don't think for a minute people don't fall off. And how much mowing or blowing do you do in reverse?

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
And how much mowing or blowing do you do in reverse?
Oddly enough
Blowing 50% because I typically blow one way and back up. Direction changes with the wind.

Mowing quite a bit. Leaves chop up better in reverse and create a drift in front of the deck. Plus there are areas where it is more efficient to back up and mow another strip rather than turn around due to obstacles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You didn't hear this from me . . .

I absolutely recommend that you make no attempt to by-pass or defeat any safety equipment because it is dangerous to you and any by-standers to do so. But if you must, a wooden clothes pin works great. I never said this. You don't know me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You didn't hear this from me . . .

I absolutely recommend that you make no attempt to by-pass or defeat any safety equipment because it is dangerous to you and any by-standers to do so. But if you must, a wooden clothes pin works great. I never said this. You don't know me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts