Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in a bulk purchase of these:

APEM Switch.jpg

To replace the stiff-as-all-get-out PTO pull switches on our machines??

I'm getting a price direct from APEM, so it'll be much less than the JDPARTS 'charge'.

I'm 99.9% sure that they'll be a direct swap out in the spot on the dash, and I'm waiting for someone to confirm that they're a simple ON/OFF switch.

-J.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The switches can be ordered in any format. I'm assuming they're just an on/off - one wire in, one wire out. If someone could confirm my thinking that'd be swell. I'll try and have a look on the 3120 and the 5M this eve.

The new ones for the 5M have a harness, but it's still just 3 wires. A pair of snips, a couple crimps, and some heat shrink would fix that I reckon.

-J.

·
Registered
404 Posts
There are 4 terminals on mine. Not sure about other models

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
According to JDparts.com RE160961 $58.50, DPDT for panel 36.8mm x 22mm, connection pigtail. 14 volt, 15 amp non lighted

Hope this helps :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are 4 terminals on mine. Not sure about other models
Is yours the pull-push knob??

Are all four terminals connected to wires??

I don't understand why it'd be a double throw switch. I can see maybe double pole, but it's an on-off, so that should be singly throw, no??

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
I believe their are two circuits involved. PTO and engine start / disable circuits?

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe their are two circuits involved. PTO and engine start / disable circuits?
That would explain the double pole, but not the double throw.

-J.

·
Administrator
20,881 Posts
I imagine it's so the same switch can be used in multiple applications without having to stock 3 or 4 variants to do the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
My PTO switch isn't that hard to pull, or push. Is this a big problem on other machines?
I have a 2720 and during the first two seasons of winter use I feared my PTO switch would rip right out of the dash from the force required to pull up on it. It just finished its third season and it is getting better but it is far from easy working. Its not so bad during warm weather but when it gets cold the switch is terrible.

I even bought a new switch thinking mine was defective and the new one is just as stiff.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I have a 2720 and during the first two seasons of winter use I feared my PTO switch would rip right out of the dash from the force required to pull up on it. It just finished its third season and it is getting better but it is far from easy working. Its not so bad during warm weather but when it gets cold the switch is terrible.

I even bought a new switch thinking mine was defective and the new one is just as stiff.
Huh... I used my post hole digger Sunday and had no issue with the pto switch, and it was on and off, a lot...

Weird how different machines are like that.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I imagine it's so the same switch can be used in multiple applications without having to stock 3 or 4 variants to do the same thing.
But doesn't double throw mean that it has an on/off/on or left/off/right - etc??? The PTO switch is either on or off - single throw.

There's no question that some pull switches are OK - my 4720 was fine, but my new one is the $hit$.... And it's been replaced, and it's just as stiff.

-J.

·
Administrator
20,881 Posts
But doesn't double throw mean that it has an on/off/on or left/off/right - etc??? The PTO switch is either on or off - single throw.

There's no question that some pull switches are OK - my 4720 was fine, but my new one is the $hit$.... And it's been replaced, and it's just as stiff.

-J.

Double pole means two separate circuits. You can look at it like two switches activated with one knob/lever.

Double throw means there are two connections, a normally open and a normally closed contact that connects to the center or common tab.

Like it was mentioned before, a lot of machines have a separate circuit routed through the PTO switch for the starting circuit. The second pole would allow that to happen without energizing the PTO circuit if the switch were to fail. There's a bunch of things like switch position monitoring that could be utilized. Who knows? :unknown: with so many tractors using the same or similar switch, It'd be impossible to know.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, apparently it's time for my Q4 yearly switch lesson.....

I'm gonna pop my pull switch out of both my machines and see how many wires are on it.

-J.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I pulled the switches on both my machines. They're both exactly the same.

Series 6201, with three wires coming from them, via a harness that connect to 3 of 5 lugs on the bottom of the switch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427239673.738491.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427239697.407979.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427239723.403803.jpg

One lug is common, the other is NC, and the middle one I don't know.

Can someone smarter than me suggest what format this switch might be??

-J.

·
Administrator
20,881 Posts
I'm not smarter than you by a long shot, but I'd venture to say the other lugs are NO (normally open)

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I bet were just smart about different things....

You think the middle lug is NO?? I should be able to test that with an ohmmeter - yes/no?? With the switch off, if is NO resistance will be infinite, and if its NC resistance will be zero?? And vice versa the switch on position?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts