Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some other threads on this but was looking more in depth of other operators experiences. What do you run your rpms at when blowing snow? High and/or low? Let's say it is dry snow. Not wet. It's my second winter with the tractor and it has already been put to more use this year than last year. Love it!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I run it at full throttle. When I first got it, I didn't know better and ran it at a lower rpm.....until there was a heavy wet snow that would accumulate in the chute and eventually clog. Full throttle seems to have eliminated that problem.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ditto on the high RPMs. I think my rated PTO speed is 2600 RPMs. When I first started using my rear blower it sure seemed like that would be to fast, but you get used to it and she really throws the snow :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
196 Posts
3 point snowblower RPM

I have the Frontier SB1148 - 48" snowblower & it's rated to run at 540 rpm PTO
I typically run it about 520 as that seems to do the job very well in wet or dry snow.
:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
The manual says full throttle, so that's what I use. It is very impressive at that speed.

Reactions: AdamT1222

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have an older JD855 tractor and a dedicated JD 59" front blower..
Like said, the recommended speed is PTO speed..
The front PTO happens to be 2100 rpm..

Your owners manual should give you good info on best operation..

Good luck..

Reactions: AdamT1222

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great feedback. I know that the manuals always say what to do but the the feedback on this forum is re assuring. Plus you always seem to receive better insight and great tips.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Snow blower

If I do not want it to throw a long way I will run slower yes you can use the spout control but with less snow in the augers it seems to run better with slower RPM. But also the rpm and the ground speed have to match the snow make up and the depth. The best this is to keep the augers full and do not throttle down before they are empty when stopping. Snow falling back down the chute will always cause a problem. Have used everything from small walk behind to 8 foot front loader hydraulic drive and the snow falling down the chute is the worse issue. Ground speed and auger speed should match the conditions.

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Always use PTO driven implements at indicated RPM. That will vary by machine but is always indicated on the tachometer. Rear is usually @ 540 RPM and front @ 2,000 RPM. Engine speed will usually vary from 1800 to 3200 RPM depending on displacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts