Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part number of PTO u joints? Are they all basically the same from tractor to tractor and implement to implement? I sell u joints and get a killer price on them and would like to order some and keep some on stock, if it's a number I don't have.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Which PTO U-Joints on which implement and which tractor?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Reactions: dzldanz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check them out. So, I guess they're not all the same. Lol. This is all new to me and I didn't know if the joints were a standard size or not. The PTO shaft joints from the tractor to the implements are the joints I was referring to, To my tiller and spreader. I see when you buy a new implement, they usually come with a shaft and I was thinking the u joints may all be the same.

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
Are you looking for just the cross-bearing for the U-joint in a PTO shaft, or are you looking for the entire assembly?

Below is a diagram that shows an entire PTO shaft assy. Are you looking for the parts highlighted in yellow?

PTO_joints.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, that's the ones. I sell them and just thought if I can get a number on them, I may have them or can order them and keep some on stock. I believe, if they're the ones I'm thinking, they're only like 8.00 ea.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can not see a tractor having a pto universal joint. One or more in the steering or perhaps front wheel drive (actually two per side I think on what I have)

Both the yolk and the cross vary as can be pretty easily seem walking around an equipment yard. Seems the grease fitting is getting omitted on some replacement stuff.

There is a way to position two joints on a shaft to make it turn as steady as possible.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
I will check them out. So, I guess they're not all the same. Lol. This is all new to me and I didn't know if the joints were a standard size or not. The PTO shaft joints from the tractor to the implements are the joints I was referring to, To my tiller and spreader. I see when you buy a new implement, they usually come with a shaft and I was thinking the u joints may all be the same.
A part of the problem is that "PTO Shaft" can mean a couple of different things. Lots of folks here have CUTs with a PTO driven front snowblower or sweeper and the front PTO shafts are totally different than rear PTO shafts. Added to that, different manufacturers include different PTO shafts with their equipment so the only way to know if they are the same is to look up the parts breakdown for each individual shaft and see if you can cross-reference them.

The simple answer to your question is no, there no single universal use U joint for PTO shafts. But that doesn't mean that all of your's are different.

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
Added to that, different manufacturers include different PTO shafts with their equipment so the only way to know if they are the same is to look up the parts breakdown for each individual shaft and see if you can cross-reference them.

The simple answer to your question is no, there no single universal use U joint for PTO shafts. But that doesn't mean that all of your's are different.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - What he said.

As an example, below is a page from the PTO parts link posted earlier. You can see the variety of bearing sizes used, and this is just from one manufacturer.

PTO_types.jpg

Reactions: dzldanz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course they would have several different sizes just like automobiles, it would be too easy to have them all the same. Lol. I guess I'll just have to measure mine and go from there.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Does anyone know the part number of PTO u joints? Are they all basically the same from tractor to tractor and implement to implement? I sell u joints and get a killer price on them and would like to order some and keep some on stock, if it's a number I don't have.
Weasler is different than other type U-Joints. Most have a clip on the outside of the yolk. Weasler has a clip on the inside. They do not work the same, nor will they work with the wrong kind. Good joint, just different.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Weasler is different than other type U-Joints. Most have a clip on the outside of the yolk. Weasler has a clip on the inside. They do not work the same, nor will they work with the wrong kind. Good joint, just different.
i dont think thats true, because a weasler 3 series worked on my bondioli shaft.

oh btw, i think you say it YOKE, not YOLK.:good2:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Woops. Yoke. Sorry. I just replaced a yoke on a shaft for my pto driven generator. I reached out to a supplier and their prodoct does not work with Weasler. It depends on how the bearings are retained in the yoke. Weasler is retained from the interior face. Others are made with the retainer on the exterior. A part from weasler may work in a yoke that retains from an exterior clip but a cross that depends on an exterior retention will not work, as Weasler does not have the groove in the yoke exterior to the bearing for the clip. There may be other designs that use the same retention method so they should work together if not radically different.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
404 Posts
U joints are sized according to the PTO horsepower requirements. Lower horsepower=smaller u-joints.
My 3320 uses 6 series for the front shaft (North American, rectangular)
These are the guys I use for parts. Fast and reasonable service, prices.
Weasler North American Series PTO Shaft Parts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Woops. Yoke. Sorry. I just replaced a yoke on a shaft for my pto driven generator. I reached out to a supplier and their prodoct does not work with Weasler. It depends on how the bearings are retained in the yoke. Weasler is retained from the interior face. Others are made with the retainer on the exterior. A part from weasler may work in a yoke that retains from an exterior clip but a cross that depends on an exterior retention will not work, as Weasler does not have the groove in the yoke exterior to the bearing for the clip. There may be other designs that use the same retention method so they should work together if not radically different.

i think i see what youre saying, but i cant picture it in my mind. do you have a diagram or pic?:think:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
i think i see what youre saying, but i cant picture it in my mind. do you have a diagram or pic?:think:

You will notice there is no retaining groove cut near the exterior of the yoke. No way to retain the bearing unless the cross has a retention slot cut in it.

Reactions: johnH123
1 - 17 of 17 Posts