Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one..? Practical..? Curiosity is getting to me.

The electric winches are cheap but, seem to overheat easy, & draw lots of power. Not to mention very slow. Was curious to those with more knowledge than myself, if there was a PTO driven winch that was realistic for a 1025 or not.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,864 Posts
Anybody have one..? Practical..? Curiosity is getting to me.

The electric winches are cheap but, seem to overheat easy, & draw lots of power. Not to mention very slow. Was curious to those with more knowledge than myself, if there was a PTO driven winch that was realistic for a 1025 or not.
I've never seen one. :dunno:

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
What are you trying to do?

There have been several threads about winches on small tractors, and while some do it, these tractors and charging systems dont have the capability to run a winch big enough for self-rescue. A small ATV winch might work, but they dont have the power to pull the tractor, so they are somewhat useless if you are stuck.
Now if you are pulling small logs or something, it might work, but I prefer using a chain attached to the tractor to pull heavy items.

Reactions: JD4044M and Spectre

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What are you trying to do?

There have been several threads about winches on small tractors, and while some do it, these tractors and charging systems dont have the capability to run a winch big enough for self-rescue. A small ATV winch might work, but they dont have the power to pull the tractor, so they are somewhat useless if you are stuck.
Now if you are pulling small logs or something, it might work, but I prefer using a chain attached to the tractor to pull heavy items.
A PTO winch wouldn't have much to do with the charging system. I've seen a couple PTO winches advertised for PTO's with 15hp. Was curious if anyone had used one, like the Farmi. 290 | Farmi Winch Direct

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I run a Farmi 351 on my 2032r and it handles it fine with the 24hp pto. I never have it throttled up or the winch would be to fast and eratic to run. It'll drag the tractor back before losing power. I would think your Pto hp would suffice for the smaller Farmi winch.

Reactions: JD4044M and Viper21

·
Registered
842 Posts
Reactions: JD4044M and Viper21

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I have one on my boom pole and it is transferrable to the receiver hitch on the 1025. I do have a remote control...use it on my boom pole to lower antenna or other project. Use the remote to stay to the side and always throw a blanket or tarp over the cable. Probably using with the tractor a bad ideal due to safety concerns. One might get one with the new rope cable for safety...not sure if hook would come your way or not. I feel that's why those aren't promoted. Would hate to describe what a flying cable could do. I know on the antenna pull I stay way off out of the way....my remote will work 50-100 ft. Using this I don't want anyone around much like using chainsaw. My boompole also extends and I have an end to use with gas chainsaw for those pesty limbs. I'm sure John Deere is not going to offer any of these devices for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
I have a Ramsey 8000lb PTO winch that came off a 1974 Ford F250. It had a gear box for engage/disengage that bolted to the transfer case. IIRC it was rated for 1000rpm maximum.
I have considered building a 3 point hitch mount for it. I would first have to determine if a tractor PTO turned the correct direction. And if 3 point lower arms could with stand the pull.

Reactions: Viper21

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
A PTO winch wouldn't have much to do with the charging system. I've seen a couple PTO winches advertised for PTO's with 15hp. Was curious if anyone had used one, like the Farmi. 290 | Farmi Winch Direct
Of course it wouldnt.
I got a bit off track with the response going into more info about electrics and why guys dont use them too often.
But there again, thats why I asked what you planned to use it for. Well, for recommendations from others, and because Im just curious like that.
Never know when I might want to spend money on something I never needed before.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course it wouldnt.
I got a bit off track with the response going into more info about electrics and why guys dont use them too often.
But there again, thats why I asked what you planned to use it for. Well, for recommendations from others, and because Im just curious like that.
Never know when I might want to spend money on something I never needed before.
LOL.... I know EXACTLY what you mean here...hahaha. Happens to me more than I'd care to admit :cheers:

My post was more or less, thinking out loud. Entertaining the idea of possibly skidding some logs I can't quite get to.

Reactions: IndianaJim

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
LOL.... I know EXACTLY what you mean here...hahaha. Happens to me more than I'd care to admit :cheers:

My post was more or less, thinking out loud. Entertaining the idea of possibly skidding some logs I can't quite get to.
Dang it. I shouldnt have asked.
Ive got several logs I cant quite get to, that would be much easier to just pull out of the woods with a winch.
I usually end up making a trail into the woods to get to them and cut them up where they lie. That can be a pain though, and it tears up the woods which takes quite a while to recover.
Now Ill have to look into this too!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Dang it. I shouldnt have asked.
Ive got several logs I cant quite get to, that would be much easier to just pull out of the woods with a winch.
I usually end up making a trail into the woods to get to them and cut them up where they lie. That can be a pain though, and it tears up the woods which takes quite a while to recover.
Now Ill have to look into this too!

A long chunk of cable and a few well placed snatch blocks = much cheaper. :good2:

Those winches are very nice, but to much money for what most of us are doing. IMO :dunno:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
A long chunk of cable and a few well placed snatch blocks = much cheaper. :good2:

Those winches are very nice, but to much money for what most of us are doing. IMO :dunno:
Very true, but some of us have 2038Rs mowing residential properties. :laugh:

I am not sure it would work well for me anyway. Most times trees dont fall with any regard to the fact that I have to clean up the mess. If they are parallel to the trail, nothing short of a helicopter will help. Hmmm....theres an idea. :gizmo:
Ive managed so far without one. Probably can for a good long time.
But sometimes its nice to think about what we can do with every last attachment they make!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts