Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the BX-42 wood chipper will chew-up/chip dried corn stalks?:dunno: I know it sounds weird, but I am looking at getting one for the chipping wood, but would like to know if it would handle the dried corn stalks from the garden.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
I'm not sure about dried corn stalks but I do know pine tree branches with pine needs can and will clog our chipper.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
I am betting it will. I have the BX 62 and it hates grape vines. The only pines I ran through it were standing dead and very dry.

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
I would think that for things like corn stalks you would probably want a Chipper/Shredder rather than a straight chipper.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Does anybody know if the BX-42 wood chipper will chew-up/chip dried corn stalks?:dunno: I know it sounds weird, but I am looking at getting one for the chipping wood, but would like to know if it would handle the dried corn stalks from the garden.
Don't know if the BX-42 can do it but I'd say it can. My question is why. I put my MMM on my tractor as far up as I can get it and mow them with it. Chops them up in little bitty pieces. When I do the tilling for the next planting season they get tilled under.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Chipper shredder

I've never tried it but I'd bet my chipper shredder would do well with corn stalks using the shredder. An alternative is putting them in a pile and dropping a mower on them. You might have to re-pile them a couple of times but it's pretty common to use a bat wing mower on corn fields.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the BX-42 and have used it on some hemlocks on the property. As someone else stated the needles do clog the chute. You have to keep an eye on what is coming out while you're feeding it. I would imagine the corn stalks would be kind of "stringy" and clog things up. I would go with the mower idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts