77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,080 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I've been thinking about the WoodMax chipper but it's a little pricey for no more than I would use it. Just noticed recently that Titan now has a couple. This one is tempting and has pretty good reviews.

Why is it that it seems like everyone has a BX42 model? :dunno:

Titan Wood Chipper

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,080 Posts
I've been thinking about the WoodMax chipper but it's a little pricey for no more than I would use it. Just noticed recently that Titan now has a couple. This one is tempting and has pretty good reviews.

Why is it that it seems like everyone has a BX42 model? :dunno:

Titan Wood Chipper
As far as I'm concerned that is the Wallenstein BX42 chipper.

·
Administrator
17,280 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Woodmaxx TM-86H. I think they offer good value. What sets them apart is the hydraulic infeed. Once you use one you'll never go back to manual feed, insert branch and walk away (for the most part). The other thing I really like is the infeed rate is adjustable, it can be slowed way down and chip some incredibly large diameter wood (3-4" no problem with sharp knives).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 2305 (18hp PTO) and have had a genuine BX 42 for more than ten years. It's my favorite attachment. It is Imatch compatible. Not sure about the knock off Imatch's with the wider hook. I have three sheer bolts zip tied to the chipper. I've never had a bolt sheer. I have jammed the intake and stalled the tractor many times. It seems gentle enough when it stalls. I use it quite a bit and have never wished for hydraulic feed. It is not much use on our spruce branches. The stringy nature of fresh spruce is not conducive to chipping, I still burn that. You do have to put in a jumper wire around the seat switch while chipping. The 1026/1025r should handle it just fine. The 1023 at 15hp PTO? Maybe not very well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,080 Posts
I have a 2305 (18hp PTO) and have had a genuine BX 42 for more than ten years. It's my favorite attachment. It is Imatch compatible. Not sure about the knock off Imatch's with the wider hook. I have three sheer bolts zip tied to the chipper. I've never had a bolt sheer. I have jammed the intake and stalled the tractor many times. It seems gentle enough when it stalls. I use it quite a bit and have never wished for hydraulic feed. It is not much use on our spruce branches. The stringy nature of fresh spruce is not conducive to chipping, I still burn that. You do have to put in a jumper wire around the seat switch while chipping. The 1026/1025r should handle it just fine. The 1023 at 15hp PTO? Maybe not very well.
Have you ever had to buy new blades for it?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
This is my opinion. Well mine and 12dbsinad's opinion. I have the DR model chipper. I would never again buy a chipper that isn't self feed. It's hard on the arms and shoulders if you have to feed it. Vines are the worse. Plus the vibration of the branches as you feed it cuts the arms up.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,080 Posts
This is my opinion. Well mine and 12dbsinad's opinion. I have the DR model chipper. I would never again buy a chipper that isn't self feed. It's hard on the arms and shoulders if you have to feed it. Vines are the worse. Plus the vibration of the branches as you feed it cuts the arms up.
I guess I'm sort of like FortClatsop, I have no issues with our Wallenstein BX42. If I were to chip large limbs all day every day I'd probably go with a self feeder and a bigger tractor.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I've had a Bearcat chipper/shredder. It was manual feed and did a great job. I sold it and bought a WoodMaxx 9900 (their top of the line model) and LOVE IT!! I would recommend to anyone to get a self-feed chipper!! I think it truly tripled my "production" when chipping.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the WoodMaxx chippers, including their hydraulic feed 8" chipper that sells for about $2500 or so.

I would stay away from the Chinese knock offs. Not just because they're Chinese (the lower end WoodMaxx, as well as the Woodland Mills chippers are both made in China), but also because they blatantly stole the design from Wallenstein. That just ain't right!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've reading about chippers, seems that a 1025R works OK.
I'm liking the Wallenstein BX52s. Definitely want a hydraulic feed model.
Anyone use a 1025R with the BX 52s?

If it will handle it I'm fairly certain that after I get my act together I'm going to sell my 4610 and get a 1025r.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The guys that have used chippers with any regularity swear by hydraulic infeed so they don’t get beat up

If I had enough chipping to justify it I would get the woodmaxx wm86h

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you ever had to buy new blades for it?
I reversed and adjusted the blades last year. I couldn't see much difference in blade appearance. It did perform better when I was done, though I think it was more related to adjustment.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the woodmax on my 1025r. It will take out some thick stuff. The only time I have sheared the bolt is when I put it on my dads 5075e. You will choke down the 1025 before it will shear. My only complaint is the feed roller will walk off the shaft if you don’t keep an eye on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts