Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this online and thought I'd post it for those who walk and / or work in the woods and outside in tall grass.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,253 Posts
They are bad this year for sure. At least in my yard.
My cousins lived over by Rocky Point park and we never saw ticks here in central mass but definitely saw them and had them on us when we went to visit and played outside! And that was at least 60 years ago. You guys had them way before we did for sure. Now, they must be everywhere...??? I get them watering the garden, they must crawl up the hose? hard to kill the buggers with your fingers.
Now I'm looking too! Naw,,, it's the fan blowing 83 degree hot air across the room at 7:17 PM...!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I haven't seen any yet this year but I also got Lyme's Disease last summer and never saw the tick either. I thought it was Covid at first as the symptoms were pretty much the same with the exception I didn't have a loss in taste/smell but not everyone with Covid has that either. The DRs I saw all said yet you have Covid until the test came back negative. They sent me home thinking it was a summer cold. A couple weeks later I was back for more tests as things were not getting better and they finally tried the Lyme's test. Though they put me on antibiotics right away because I guess the test has a lot of false negatives and I had enough symptoms to just default to doing the treatment. It took a couple weeks before it came back but it was positive.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Ticks are bad here in central WI too. I think it's because of the mild winter we had. I got lymes disease also a few years back. It was awful. I was getting extremely bad headaches. Then ended up with the splottches or target rash on my back. Took some blood tests & diagnosed me with it.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I haven't seen any yet this year but I also got Lyme's Disease last summer and never saw the tick either. I thought it was Covid at first as the symptoms were pretty much the same with the exception I didn't have a loss in taste/smell but not everyone with Covid has that either. The DRs I saw all said yet you have Covid until the test came back negative. They sent me home thinking it was a summer cold. A couple weeks later I was back for more tests as things were not getting better and they finally tried the Lyme's test. Though they put me on antibiotics right away because I guess the test has a lot of false negatives and I had enough symptoms to just default to doing the treatment. It took a couple weeks before it came back but it was positive.
The Dr. thought I had Lyme disease many years ago. He said it was cheaper to treat it than to test for it, so he just treated me for it.

Dave

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Ticks are bad here in central WI too. I think it's because of the mild winter we had. I got lymes disease also a few years back. It was awful. I was getting extremely bad headaches. Then ended up with the splottches or target rash on my back. Took some blood tests & diagnosed me with it.
I never saw a target rash but I had polka dots all over my body and I was like what the heck is this now. That is when I went back and had the Dr run the Lyme's test. I did antibiotics for a month.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The Dr. thought I had Lyme disease many years ago. He said it was cheaper to treat it than to test for it, so he just treated me for it.

Dave
Yeah it wasn't so much a cost thing. My Dr said that since the test sucks, I am better off taking the meds even if I didn't have it. The only side effect I had with the meds was being more likely to get a sunburn so I wore higher SPF screen for the month. Since the Dr didn't trust the test he said it was my best option because if untreated and a false neg test, the risk of a lifetime of issues is just not worth it.

We have a good family friend from WI that got it back probably 30 years ago. This was before it was really known about and she is basically completely disabled because of it. Legally blind and really bad arthritis to where she can hardly us her hands and has a hard time walking.

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
We have a good family friend from WI that got it back probably 30 years ago. This was before it was really known about and she is basically completely disabled because of it. Legally blind and really bad arthritis to where she can hardly us her hands and has a hard time walking.
I had no idea it could have that many effects.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I had no idea it could have that many effects.
Yeah it is no joke. That is why it didn't take much for the DR to talk me into taking the antibiotics for a month. I think it impacts people differently but knowing someone that is going through it and has been for so long makes us take it pretty serious.

I was in pretty rough shape. When I went to the hospital for the Covid test, I ended up in the ER there because my blood pressure crashed. I didn't want to take the elevator because I didn't know if it was Covid so I took stairs to avoid close contact with others. They took my BP and it was something like 150/90 which was high but I was taking stairs and they rushed me back into this isolation clinic because they knew I was coming and was getting tested. The nurse said she would take it again so she had left the cuff on. A little later I told her I was getting light headed and not feeling well and she hit the button again to take another reading. It was down to something crazy like 40/25 I don't remember exactly but the room was spinning and I was about to pass out. Needless to say that got everyone jumping in the place. They got me on a gurney and the Dr I had the video consult with was all of a sudden standing in the hall along with about 5-6 other people. He said that they will send out my test but he was sure I had Covid. I was moved to the ER where they opted to run the Covid test right away rather than send it out along with lots of other tests. Chest X-Ray, EKG and a bunch of other stuff. The ER Doc even said, yep Covid. It was about an hour later when he came in and said it wasn't Covid. I was then thinking flu but he said not in August and he figured it was a cold. I told him I have never had a cold like this and they sent me home. My wife gave me crap for a while for going to the ER for a cold.

It was a couple days later that the rashes started popping up. If there is anything good about this is that it was figured out relatively quick but I was the one that asked for the Lyme's Test after seeing the rashes. I almost didn't call because it wasn't the target rash I always had read about. These started out about the size of a silver dollar and I had them all over and they slowly got bigger but as they did they faded. At least my wife can't give me crap about ending up in the ER anymore for a cold.

I had lots of fatigue and headaches for a while but all of that is gone. One thing that sucks though is I will likely have the markers for a long time in my system. I guess I can still get Lyme's disease so if I have symptoms it makes less sens to bother with a test. It will come back positive again. Not that the test is all that accurate anyhow. I suspect I got it up at Scout camp with my son because the symptoms started a couple weeks after getting back. We go again at the end of June. So I will have to be extra careful.

·
Premium Member
7,253 Posts
Lyme's is hard to detect. I have friends that have it and one doctor though the guy had mononucleosis. He suffered for years and finally a test proved what he had and started treatment, he's still not right in the body part of it, tired all the time, and sore.

Spots on the skin can be rocky mountain spotted fever and that can be deadly. a guy from a town over died from that after cleaning his dog of ticks and squashing them with his fingernails. Ticks carry all sorts of diseases. They tell you not to even try to pick them off a dog without hand protection. 55 ticks on a dog is crazy!

I've seen dogs/cats with ticks so full of blood it's disgusting and if you take one off, the body can burst and it's purple,, almost enough to make you gag.. Deer have them covering their entire body. They are a spreader of the damn things. Our Doberman had to be put down at 7 years old because of ticks, she couldn't walk without yelping and she lost bladder control because of them.

I hate the things, my fear; one goes in my ear and Burroughs it's head into my ear drum! When we get one on us we burn it after getting it out of our skin.
They're can be deadly and certainty put you out of commission as stated here in this thread.

·
Premium Member
7,253 Posts
I am ate up with chiggers from blackberry hunting. I don’t know what’s worse, ticks or chiggers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
We don't have chiggers to my knowledge, YET, do they borough under your skin? and itch like mad. I was told that by a friend from Louisiana, but he likes to fool with us.
The only thing we have blackberry gathering are big yellow and black spiders.

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Jeff, A BIG yellow & black spider is usually a "Garden Spider". I must have been around 10 or 12, saw one, and thought, 'Pretty, but I don't like it!,' so I dropped a brick on it. A brick is 3-5/8" wide and the legs were sticking out from under the brick an inch or 2 on each side! Same size, but brown, are "Wood Spiders". Bob

Reactions: flyweight and tj1

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If you can get ticks off with a brush or lint roller they haven't bitten in yet. Once they do they are difficult to remove easily. If you are in a hurry, hit their butt with a hot match head or equivalent. If you can go a bit slower, smear them completely with vaseline. They can't breathe and will let go. When you just pull them make durn sure you also get the head, the hardest part. Tweezers help.

Pets should have flea and tick preventive medicine, basically a poison/repellant. Best have heartworm medicine as well, those are brought by skeeters. I don't, but if you spray your yard make sure to allow time before letting the pets go out there or you could be poisoning them as well.

Though I don't know of any diseases they might bring, one of the most annoying bugs is a swarm of black flies or biting gnats. I think there are many different names, but when a few thousand of them go for a bite on any exposed surface all at once, you'll know it.

·
Premium Member
7,253 Posts
I read that if you do something to a tick like just try to pull it off the injection of poisons start. I guess Better to be patient.. I have pulled them off and never even gave it a thought knowing what they can give you but, I don't want the things on me at all.

We spray if we are headed into the brush even though I hate doing that. I don't take drugs or even aspirin and truly hate spraying myself with OFF or cutters.
The Vaseline works for sure then burn the buggers! I swear the wife loves burning them to oblivion.

The spider thing mentioned above is absolutely true, they are giant and they were all over the place in the blackberry thorns! We weren't afraid of them and usually left them alone but my brother used to put them in his pants pocket for some weird reason and bring them in the house,, I assume to play with them but they were of course dead! That kid wasn't afraid of anything when he was a little boy.. And we didn't have ticks to worry about either.. Today after being in the Navy for quite a few years, if he saw a tick on him he would run to the hospital! He wears hearing protection using a staple gun... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.