Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have been lurking for a few weeks trying to make up my mind about which brand would be best for my needs and reading all of the community input; the wife and I went with a 1025! We opted for the 120 FEL, 60" mmm, 60" back blade, and engine block heater. Wish I would have found this site sooner to read all the positive things and people to ask my questions to as they pop up.

We bought 5 acres out in the country last year with a 600' concrete driveway that has a pretty decent hill to it as you pull off the road. We have a Cub Cadet snowblower but that long of a driveway was just too much walk everyday before work and to try and get our oldest on the school bus. So we went with a contractor to plow the driveway but we only saw him after I would rush out with the snowblower to clear a path to get to work.

So the wife and I decided a 1025r would hopefully do the trick for us as the previous owner had a New Holland with a FEL that he would clear the driveway with. Plus the larger mowing deck will make mowing in the summer go a lot faster than the 40 something inch deck I was using.

The 1025 will be stored in a shop with a wood burner kept around 50 degrees to hopefully make starts easier.

We are completely new to using any type of equipment this large, so if anyone has any recommendations, please share!

Thank you,

Tim

·
Administrator
17,313 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
:wgtt:from Texas !!!! Be sure to have the dealer go over everything you need to know when you take delivery . And as I'm sure you are already aware , we are all here to help (including spending your money) . :greentractorride::gizmo:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
Welcome to GTT OH_Tim and congratulations on your new tractor.:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Tim,

And congrats on your new :greentractorride: :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:wgtt:from Texas !!!! Be sure to have the dealer go over everything you need to know when you take delivery . And as I'm sure you are already aware , we are all here to help (including spending your money) . :greentractorride::gizmo:
Thanks Ron! We took delivery on Saturday, had them go over everything and even taped a few of the instructions before my phone died. Sorry for the first post, I was on the tablet and that makes typing a pain in the rear! With our driveway having a slope, I worry about traction, but the dealer tells me it will climb a mountain in 4x4.

Really looking forward to the "warm weather" today/tonight after work to spend some time outside of the shed to get used to operating it.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Welcome from New York! You're at the right place for some solid and helpful information on your new 1025r. :good2:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
:congrats::greentractorride::wgtt:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome from southwest Ohio.....near Hillsboro. You are going to love it. I'm on 2 acres and have a 1025r with FEL and 60MMM.......cut my mowing time in half from my 48" lx186 John Deere riding mower(which I've since given away to a friend in need). I only have 200 feet of driveway, and only got to scrape a couple of inches of snow, but it made it nice!

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
:gtfam:

:congrats::greentractorride::good2:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. You will get a lot of use out of the 1025.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
:gtfam:

Tim, yes they are excellent climbers, but coming back down is where you need to be careful. Always good practice to make sure you are in 4WD. Wished you would have mentioned that you got the ballast box along with the FEL. The back blade at 200 lbs (if you have the RB5060) isn't near enough rear weight for proper FEL ballast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! I just got th mower deck off tonight after spending some time with the kids before their baths and bedtime.

No ballast box at the time of sale and to be honest I had not really thought about a ballast box :-/

My plan for snow removal was either creep in reverse with the back blade, or put the FEL in float. Hopefully either method is safe. What say you? Should I talk to the Mrs. about getting a ballast box for the back?

Again, thanks for any and all advice

Tim

·
Registered
4,254 Posts

Welcome from New York, and congrats on your new tractor.

Regarding the ballast box, you need it (unless you have a backhoe), check your manual, about 600 lbs ballast. You won't be just moving snow, you'll be using the FEL for all sorts of thing. There is a sticky with a lot of great information:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/4363-what-rear-ballast-why-do-you-need.html

Kinda surprised your dealer didn't insist on ballast.

One more thing, if you've been lurking, you know that we all like pics. Post some of your tractor please, when you get a chance.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
:wgtt: and Congrats on your new tractor!! My advice...learn it and enjoy it! :bigthumb:

If your wallet gets to heavy, we know how to lighten it some. :mocking:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and Congrats on your new tractor!! My advice...learn it and enjoy it!

If your wallet gets to heavy, we know how to lighten it some.
Thanks Levi for the help with the funds, going to take it easy to build up he bank account. We have a 6 year old girl and soon to be 3,twins (girl boy) that we have to feed.

Next thing I go with will be a rear ballast

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
Thanks Levi for the help with the funds, going to take it easy to build up he bank account. We have a 6 year old girl and soon to be 3,twins (girl boy) that we have to feed.

Next thing I go with will be a rear ballast
Girls like tractors too! So I take you will be buying another tractor for yourself. :mocking:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts