Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,
I have made shelves in the corner of my garage that will hold the implements off my 1025r. Top shelf holds 60" mower deck or fel bucket, middle shelf holds rear blade and underneath those shelves is garage floor but I built a stand for my tiller that has wheels so I can roll tiller underneath.
Now I want to mount a pulley/hoist to my ceiling so I can pick these implements up from out in my garage and than have it either swivel or roll back over the top of my shelves and lower the implement onto shelf.
Has anyone done anything like this? If you have what did you use, how did you do it and if you have pics to share that would be great to.
Thanks JD family for your help and advice,
Travis

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
It seems like you would need a hoist arrangement that moves left-right, in-out. Most folks that use a similar storage arrangement simply store each implement in an old pallet and then use the loader with pallet forks to access and stow the implements as needed.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Have to agree with JGAYMAN, I use pallets and forks to stack or move out of the way.

Reactions: thpohlman

·
Administrator
18,306 Posts
Sounds like your asking about a bridge or beam crane:
overhead_crane_beam_trolley.jpg

Forks would sure be cheaper and easier!

Reactions: thpohlman and Levi

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
That was my thought too but, it would work for the top shelf but not so well for the lower shelves.

+1 on getting pallet forks.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
View attachment 116785

Forks would sure be cheaper and easier!
This would be great if you had a solid cab that is taken off or put on as one piece. That is the only place forks would not work for you, unless you have two machines!

Reactions: thpohlman

·
Banned
419 Posts
Pulley Hoist

To all,
I have made shelves in the corner of my garage that will hold the implements off my 1025r. Top shelf holds 60" mower deck or fel bucket, middle shelf holds rear blade and underneath those shelves is garage floor but I built a stand for my tiller that has wheels so I can roll tiller underneath.
Now I want to mount a pulley/hoist to my ceiling so I can pick these implements up from out in my garage and than have it either swivel or roll back over the top of my shelves and lower the implement onto shelf.
Has anyone done anything like this? If you have what did you use, how did you do it and if you have pics to share that would be great to.
Thanks JD family for your help and advice,
Travis
Your idea may be great in your thinking. You say hanging from your ceiling I do not know of any joist system that will support the weight your thinking of. Not only the implement but the weight of the system as well. Even if your talking a overhead trolley on tracks. How do you propose to support it. The only idea I can see other than those stated already which will take major supporting structure from the floor is a rolling system. A frame connected by the trolley and a A frame on the other end. Even with that your limited to the top shelf only as far as I see it. What your thinking of doing easily is NOT SAFE without a lot of engineering work first

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
swinging lift

Take a look at some of the farm magazines that feature farm shops. Many of those incorporate a post lift that is essentially a piece of pipe in concrete with a lifting beam at the top. Those that lift heavy loads tie the top of the post into the structure. I think Successful Farmer has a monthly feature on farm shops and most have some sort of lift in them.

The engineering all depends on the weight to be lifted and the reach of your "crane". It's not hard to lift 4-500 pounds and reach out 4 feet as you can buy engine hoists/truck bed lifts to do that. Try to reach 10 feet and you are looking at an entirely different structure as the stress at the pivot point is 2 1/2 times as much. Lots of folks shop build lifts that can do what you want but make sure you have the steel and anchors correct or you risk damage or injury if something lets go.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone that replied. That gave me a lot to think about. I did see a pic somewhere of my idea and the multi level shelves had a v-notch in the middle (center) of each shelf which allowed just enough room to get each implement on and off the shelf.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Pulley Hoist

Thanks to everyone that replied. That gave me a lot to think about. I did see a pic somewhere of my idea and the multi level shelves had a v-notch in the middle (center) of each shelf which allowed just enough room to get each implement on and off the shelf.
It is not about the shelf it is about the amount of structure you have to build to provide a safe way to lift. A v in the shelf as you say is only good until you fill it. Then your back to square one. I can only see either s fork lift or a engine hoist to load the racks. SAFELY But then again it is your life. Have seen people do some really stupid things in my life

·
Registered
73 Posts
Enigine Hoist

I often work without any help and need to move things too heavy to handle by hand. After thinking about it I decided to purchase an engine hoist that is collapsible. mine is like this one; https://www.grainger.com/product/WESTWARD-Hydraulic-Engine-Mobile-Crane-3ZC72 the legs fold up and the boom folds down when not in use so it doesn't take much storage space when not in use. it is maneuverable and has good lifting range. I bought mine used on CL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts